Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th January 2012, 01:12 AM
KagedFC Offline

linuxchrome
Keyboard intermittently cuts out on Fedora 16 - HP dm1-3210us Netbook

Hi I am new to this forum (as well as Fedora) and need some assistance with my keyboard input.

I have an HP dm1-3210us netbook that I purchased last fall, and have been searching around for a good Linux distro for it. It seems that every Linux distro has one thing wrong with it, and the Fedora 16 seems to be the best fit, except that sometimes my keyboard will randomly not respond to keyboard presses. Even while typing this post I have to constantly go back and retype letters that weren't pressed. It happens maybe once every ten words or so. This only happens in Fedora-based distros, the two that I have tried are Fedora 16 and Fuduntu. It does not occur in Windows, nor Ubuntu or its derivatives (though even worse issues occur with other Linux distros).

I would just like to know if there is any way to start troubleshooting this problem so I can continue to use Linux normally. Thanks!
Old 16th January 2012, 08:36 AM
undertoad Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Keyboard intermittently cuts out on Fedora 16 - HP dm1-3210us Netbook

hello, I have a hp dm1-3010au and have seen a similar problem: brushing the touchpad while typing causes some keys strokes to be missed. There is a similar bug report for debian http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=630023

This problem only happens after resuming from suspend, is that the case for you?
Old 19th January 2012, 07:17 PM
KagedFC Offline

macossafari

Before you responded to this thread I got angry and tried a bunch of new distros, each with their own nightmare along with it. I wasn't able to tell if my problem happened upon putting my machine to sleep before I reinstalled, however when I tried other Debian distros I was able to recreate the problem you just mentioned! I'm going to run the Live CD of Fedora and see if it only occurs after sleep. If so, I'll just be sure to shut down my computer. All of my work is usually auto-saved in a cloud somewhere anyway. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:36 AM
undertoad Offline

linuxfirefox

from the kernel.org bugzilla https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37852, the problem can be worked around by unloading and reloading the psmouse module after suspend. Unfortunately fedora kernels have the psmouse driver built in so you have to compile your own, then stick a script in /etc/pm/sleed.d to do the unload/reload. Difficult to do this using a live CD.
Old 20th January 2012, 08:48 PM
KagedFC Offline

linuxfirefox

Wonderful! I'll be sure to try that out and see if this solves the problem.

Tags
cuts, dmus, fedora, intermittently, keyboard, netbook