Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2012, 05:06 PM
rpk2006 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Warning display when trying to install on ext4 partition.

I formatted a hard drive partition to ext4 and trying to install fedora on it from the LiveCD I am using. When trying to proceed to install on ext4 partition, Fedora displays warning:

Code:
You have not specified a swap partition.  
Although not strictly required in all cases, it will significantly improve performance for most installations.
What this warning means and how to fix it?

Zing Life
Software Findings
Old 9th January 2012, 07:34 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox
Re: Warning display when trying to install on ext4 partition.

It's not really a great idea to install Linux on a single partition. You'd best create at least a separate /home partition (ext4) to keep your personal files separate from the system (this make upgrades or distro changes safer and more straightforward).

In this case the error refers to a swap partition (formatted as swap, not ext4). If you have less than 1 GiB or so of RAM, swap space may make your system faster as old data in memory can be written to disk to free up space for more frequently used data. Also you need swap space if you want to be able to hibernate the system (swap is where the contents of the RAM are written to when hibernating).

It's best to let the installer handle partitioning for you unless you already know what partitions you need and how large to make them.

Gareth
Old 10th January 2012, 04:31 AM
rpk2006 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Warning display when trying to install on ext4 partition.

I have 4 GB of RAM and while creating and formatting the partition, I could not see any SWAP option other than ext2, ext3, ext4 and compatible with FAT.

Zing Life
Software Findings

Tags
display, ext4, install, partition, warning