<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] ipv6 disable in Fedora 16 not enough
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ipv6 disable in Fedora 16 not enough

On previous versions of Fedora I have had to disable ipv6 in order to do any web browsing. Unfortunately after installing Fedora 16, this no longer seems to be enough. Does anyone know what else I might need to do in Fedora 16, aside from disabling ipv6 (which I already have done)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ipv6 disable in Fedora 16 not enough

shouldn't need to to a thing.

The only problem I have is that NetworkManager insists on putting the wrong name server in /etc/resolv.conf.

Works fine when I manually add it... unfortunately I have to do that after every boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: ipv6 disable in Fedora 16 not enough

Quote Originally Posted by Tikhon03
    On previous versions of Fedora I have had to disable ipv6 in order to do any web browsing. Unfortunately after installing Fedora 16, this no longer seems to be enough. Does anyone know what else I might need to do in Fedora 16, aside from disabling ipv6 (which I already have done)?
    I find that alot of times it just a problem with name resolution. Take a look at /etc/resolv.conf and see if it lists your correct DNS servers. If it does then try and ping them and see what you get. If you get nothing from that then see if your nic is actually configured correctly. Run ifconfig in a term and see if your settings in there look good.
    Fedora20 AMD X6 1090T - 8GIG RAM - Nvidia GTX-650 - LXDE. Linux since 1995 - No Gnomes allowed.
    Mythbuntu - Mythtv .27 - AMD 6core- 8 gigs ram Nvidia GTX-650 Ceton 4 port tunner
    Mint 17 64bit - Dual Core AMD 5200 2gig ram -GT 9400
    Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you disable IPv6 in Firefox?

open firefox and in the URL box enter about:config and hit enter

There will be a pop up warning, click the box that says "I'll be careful, I promise"

in the filter box, enter Pv6 and hit enter

You should see a line that has network.dns.disableIPv6

toggle that value to true by double clicking it.

close and restart firefox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jpollard that is exactly it. Now if only I can figure out how to automate this.
    @DBelton I am well aware of the firefox setting and prefer to change things in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, which works not only for firefox but for everything else as well.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpollard
    shouldn't need to to a thing.

The only problem I have is that NetworkManager insists on putting the wrong name server in /etc/resolv.conf.

Works fine when I manually add it... unfortunately I have to do that after every boot.

Can't you just go into the desktop widget for NM, and edit in the name servers in there, that's how I do it and it works everytime. (note the below instructions are for KDE)

In fact I got tired of the lousy DNS that some of the wireless public places provide so I go into the NM widget, Left mouse click it, and pick the "Manage Connections" button, select the tab for the type of connection ("Wireless" for my case here) and use the "edit" on the right to get to the "IPv4 Address" tab and set the Method to "Automatic(DHCP) addresses only" and put the opendns.org DNS addresses into the "DNS Servers" slot. That makes opendns override the dns that starbucks or panera wants to use.
    Last edited by marko; 7th January 2012 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, changing the setting in network manager avoids the need to edit resolv.conf manually every time. However, I did need to edit resolve.conf manually at least the first time, because I was in the process of installing Fedora, needed to download the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion, and rpm could not even connect to the host server to verify anything because the DNS settings were wrong! So, I had to do everything from the terminal, until I got the nvidia drivers working (and they are now). So thanks to jpollard for pointing out that this could be done in resolve.conf, and thanks to marko for suggesting opendns. It does seem faster at least, and may also be more secure depending on what you are comparing to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not using wireless - so the wireless configurations don't work (they don't even show up).

The only DNS configurations I've been able to find are in system-config-network, and they show what I have put in the resolv.conf file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, but I'm not using wireless either. I have the KDE spin, so I clik on the symbol resembling an ethernet cable, then I right click on Networking Interface, and I get an option for "Network Management Settings" which includes both wired and wireless connections. I'm not sure if the same thing works for the gnome version though. In any case, you should be able to download the software if you don't already have it.
    Last edited by Tikhon03; 10th January 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I didn't think to look at KDE.