Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th January 2012, 05:19 PM
IHeart SymLinks Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 16 Dual Monitors No Longer work

I have an HP Pavillion dm4 Laptop I did a fresh install of Fedora 16 on (I think it's an Intel Graphics Device) and Dual Monitors doesn't work. It worked previously, I installed Fedora 13 and upgraded from that to 15.

When I plugged my monitor in the KDE settings shows my video devices, Laptop Display (LVDS1 or something like that), VGA1, and HDMI1. When I go to monitor settings now only the built in display shows up, not VGA or HDMI. Before VGA and HDMI showed up even when not plugged in, for example I never used HDMI on that laptop but I still would see it.

I imagine Fedora 15 and Kernel 3.x would still support dual monitors, so would it be that there is no driver in this version?

I have nomodeset on because if I don't I cannot boot except in runlevels 1 & 3 (Probably 2, never tried)

Junior SysAdmin and Python Newbie
Fedora 15 64 Bit (Fedora 13 install upgraded to 14 with preupgrade, then 15 using --distro-sync)
KDE 4.6.5

Laptop: Fedora 13 upgraded to 15 via --distro-sync

Can someone pls help me with The wireless on my laptop?
Old 29th January 2012, 06:42 AM
regamboa Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 16 Dual Monitors No Longer work

I'm also seeing the same issue following a recent update. In my case, it's with the Intel embedded graphics controller on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 motherboard. Originally it worked fine, then after a recent update, the Display section of system settings only sees one monitor, even though both are presenting identical content. The primary monitor is attached to the VGA port, the secondary is attached to the DVI port. I'm running FC16 x86_64. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Additional notes: I just picked up an update this evening, which included the following components:
  • kernel-3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64
  • xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.17.0-8.fc16.x86_64

Made no difference at all. Still seeing only one monitor listed in the Display section of system settings, and both monitors are presenting identical content.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:13 PM
yaconsult Offline

windows_7ie
Confirmed - laptop display doesn't work when external monitor plugged in with Intel 4

Same here. Worked fine in F15 but on F16 display is routed to the external monitor and the internal monitor does not appear on the monitor list. The chipset shows in Windows as Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

I use KDE in F16 and when the external monitor is plugged in, the laptop monitor is blank and does not appear on the screen configuration dialog. This used to work in F15. When the external monitor is not plugged in, the internal display works as expected.

Thanks!

Tags
dual, fedora, longer, monitors, work