Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th December 2011, 01:10 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox
Script Collection, from minimal CLI to custom GUI in notime.

Hello fellows

As it reached 'stable' status, the new home is in Guides and Solutions:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1553298

Thanks for the feedbacks during the sylvester test fest, namely Hadrons123 and Glennzo gave feedback.
Thanks to their feedback, i could improve the script collection a little for its usage.
Thank you guys

The script collection is mostly a one time tool, which should help to get you a system of your like.
Thus its containing diffrent tasks and tools.

For most newcomers to linux, there is the fear of the terminal or the console, with this script collection, i try to work around this behaviour.
However, as almost everything can be done from console, and since its usable straight from init 1, its using BASH as code langauge.

As most users, I want my system to be fast, stable and clean. Figured that most Desktop Enviroments install many things I either dont need, use or even know about.
On the other hand, installing complete pre-defined packages, are many times more than i need. So I wanted to have a simple, easy changeable system.
Further, when i do installs, i want to have them done as much unattended as possible, dont care for the duration, as unattended

Also, there were and are some additional tasks i'd like to have done easyly, or change some other things quite often.
So the idea of the Script Collection was born.

The 'ideal' use of the Script Collection would be like this:
Quote:
0) Download rpm and copy to USB-key.
1) Install Fedora, only minimal, reboot
2) plug in wire (if lap- netbook)
3) Run script
Now right here is its power, simply choose to install multimedia, and livna (Dvd), rpmfusion (mp3) and adobe (flash) repos are installed, as well as some other often used codecs.
Further, simply choose to install "basics", which will ask you which list files shall be read, to modify them, see /usr/sc/system/lists (if rpm installed) or $HOME/sc (if tarball installed), so you get your own preferences installed.
On our way to a GUI, we're needing X11 (wayland is not yet supported), as well as the loginmanager for the DE. All these tasks are handled by the Script Collection.
Also it provides a boot target changer, to boot into gui rather then console login.
DE's currently provided Awesome, Cinnamon, E16 and LXDE.

Changing your Bootanimation never has been easier as with Script Collection. :: sc set os rh plymouth
Or change your default console prompt to one of the templates Script Collection offers. :: sc set o custom-shell
Also if you want to save power at certain times, or update at certain intervalls it provides scripts in the cron section of setup. :: sc set cron gotoBed

Further there are beta scripts available in support section, that should offer you to change:
* grub 2 timeout
* grub 2 default

Last but not least, my personal favor, and most used script: iso2usb, beeing in the tools section available. :: sc t iso2usb

A subproject of it is LFS, if you dont know what it is, dont touch it
If you're interested in LFS, i'd be VERY thankfull for your feedback, hints or tricks.

The Code is available in subsections at:
http://sf.net/p/seasc

My project homepage:
http://sea.hostingsociety.com

To install, simply type in console:
Code:
su -c "rpm -ih http://sf.net/p/seasc/files/sc-release.noarch.rpm/download"
source /etc/profile.d/sc.sh
Hope it helps.

EDIT:
0.1.2a: Attention, currently its not providing boot to gui from minimal, once again, there's somewhere an error hidden.
partly solved: /usr/sc/system/lists/apps.x11 had some fault entries, that has been fixed, but still doesnt boot to gui yet
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)

Last edited by sea; 8th February 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 29th December 2011, 08:10 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox
Re: sea's Script Collection, feedback wanted

If anyone has to setup a new Fedora system, i'd be very happy if you could try the script and tell me your thoughts about it.
It should work as well (but without multimedia setup, yet) for RHEL, CentOS and Scientific.

What i've forgotten, the sc tools provide a small iso2usb script as well as bb forum signature generator, such as my sig below.

If you see a simple #? with a blinking cursor, you either have to press enter to see the menu again, or type a number (followed by enter) to access the sub menu.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Geesh, why is my coding timing so bad that the scripts are not working while there are dozen's of .. cant play dvd, youtube not working, usbkey not working, etc threads...
But are workable, while's everyone happy with their multimedia, bootloading screen as in dont-want-hot-dog-plymouth....

Please post your feedback, so i can improve it and make it better usable to the linux community!
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)

Last edited by sea; 29th December 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 29th December 2011, 08:50 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

You know. I'm interested in scripting and would be happy to test your script(s). I have the weekend off (3 days) with nothing much planned so I'll be spending a lot of time in front of my "command center". I also have no problem installing Fedora under VirtualBox for the sole purpose of testing things like install scripts. If you want to shoot me a PM reminding me to try the scripts I'll leave it sitting there until the weekend. It (the PM) will be extremely visible at the top of the web page.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 29th December 2011, 10:01 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

Cool, thanks. Will happily do so
Old 31st December 2011, 10:46 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Installed the Sea Scripts collection on one of my Fedora 16 boxes by following your suggestions above.
Code:
cd
mkdir sc && cd sc
wget -nc https://sourceforge.net/projects/sea...atest/download
tar -axf sc-all-0.?.?.tar.bz2
# make it temporary alias
alias sc=$HOME/sc/sc
sc
The output from the sc command is as follows:
Quote:
:|: sea Script Collection: 0.0.8 Sat 04:43:14 [ 31.Dec.2011 | 365 ] :|:
:|: Fedora 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64 gnome Desktop :|:
tools create-sd extrashell iso2usb lfs lxscreenshot pwizer rmtf set siggen sup vimail yumreset yumresume
[glenn@phenom16 sc>$
Where to go from here? Is there a README that explains what all the scripts do?

Later that morning .....
Code:
[glenn@localhost sc>$ sh sc-install.sh 

╔══════════════════════╗
		║                      ║
		║  ╔══╗  ╔═══╗  ╔═══╗  ║
		║  ║     ║   ║      ║  ║
		║  ╚══╗  ╠═══╝  ╔═══╣  ║
		║     ║  ║      ║   ║  ║
		║  ╚══╝  ╚═══╝  ╚═══╝  ║
		║                      ║
		╚══════════════════════╝
::	Linux Scripts reloaded since 25th May 2011	::

Print info?
1) yes
2) no
#? 1
|------------------------------------------------------|
Since i've got a computer the first time, and the very first time met the MS tools 'net', that was back 1995, i've always wanted to script something... self-building-helpfull-creativly.

By that i mean, i wanted to script some functions, needed to run itself, while beeing helpfull for others, to live my kind of creativity.
This script collection will never be finished.

However, at this moment, i have a few goals i want to achieve with this script collection:
 * CORE: 	This is actualy providing the framework, and very few usable scripts.
 		Examples: RMTF (remove temp files from current dir, and sub dirs), iso2usb, yumreset 
 * Setup:	Is planed to configure your system from CLI. 
 		As examples: Plymouth, Wifi, Multimedia, Shell-Prompt
 * Support:	This will be the actual helpfull parts....
 		a collection of workarounds of issues i come along.
 * seaLFSwave:	Linux from Scratch, in script form, and trying to still let you customize it!
 		Currently stuck at building GCC (5.5).
For more information, create the sc-README by running 'sc readme' after installation in either a terminal or the launcher.

Where do you want to install the scripts to:
1) /home/glenn/bin
2) /home/glenn/sc
3) /opt/sc
#? 2

CORE Package already localy available...
 More packages available...
 It seems you already have a local source.
 Do you want to symlink from /home/glenn/sc dir to /home/glenn/sc? 
1) yes
2) no
#? 1
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc-all-0.0.8.tar.bz2': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc.cfg': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc.collect': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc-gencmdlist.sh': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc-install.sh': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc-README': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/glenn/sc/sc-update': File exists

Installation of sea Script Colletion Complete!
Hope you like it.
/etc/bash_completion.d/grub: line 417: `_grub_mkpasswd-pbkdf2': not a valid identifier

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 31st December 2011, 12:04 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Installed the Sea Scripts collection on one of my Fedora 16 boxes by following your suggestions above.
Code:
cd
mkdir sc && cd sc
wget -nc https://sourceforge.net/projects/sea...atest/download
tar -axf sc-all-0.?.?.tar.bz2
alias sc=$HOME/sc/sc
sc
The output from the sc command is as follows:

Where to go from here? Is there a README that explains what all the scripts do?

Run rkhunter , I wouldn't run any scripts without fully checking them first.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:08 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Run rkhunter , I wouldn't run any scripts without fully checking them first.
Yes, normally I might think about that but I'm running this in a virtualbox install of Fedora 16.

@Sea. I've got to say that I'm confused. Don't know what to do with the script collection now that it's installed. There's no clear direction. What do these scripts do? Do I run one "master" script?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31st December 2011, 12:40 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

Arghs yes sorry..

Well, once you have tested the scripts so they contain no 'harmfull' code. (which they dont, at least not privacy harmfull).

Have a look at the quote in first post:
1) Change to $HOME: cd
Code:
2) Create $HOME/sc:    mkdir sc && cd sc
3) Download it there:  wget -nc https://sourceforge.net/projects/sea...atest/download
4) extract it:         tar -axf sc-0.?.?-all.tar.bz2
5) make it call-able:  alias sc=$HOME/sc/sc
6) execute it:         sc
PATH ENV: Instead of 5 and 6, you might also try the following instead:
Code:
PATH=$PATH:/$HOME/sc:/$HOME/sc/collection
export PATH
That way it will be executable from where by simply typing sc in anykind of a terminal.
Simply type sc

Do either one of those above, providing the path variable, makes the files in ./collection executable, with just aliasing, you have to append them to sc
Everything that then gets listed by the script may be called by appending it to it.. so the screen view of:

Code:
sc
:|: sea Script Collection: 0.0.8Sat 12:48:39 [ 31.Dec.2011 | 365 ] :|:
:|: Fedora 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64                        LXDE Desktop :|:
tools      extrashell  lxscreenshot  set  vimail    yumresume
create-sd  lfs         rmtf          sup  yumreset
[simon@nc210 /]$
With alias:
sc yumreset

With Path env:
yumreset

Same goes for other things, for example the iso2usb is located in the tools, so that ones called either way with: sc tools iso2usb.

Example on how to install multimedia,
once you either applied the path containing the "sc" file to your enviroment, or making it an alias.
Code:
sc set
- choose multimedia
OR
- choose rh specific, then select multimedia
OR
Code:
sc set rh multimedia
Another example, with installed ImageMagick...
With Path env:
Code:
lxscreenshot NameofFile.png
With alias:
Code:
sc lxscreenshot NameOfFile.jpg
EDIT: ... README...
Ehm yes, generate one with sc readme.
It will give a short explanation, and the lower part lists all 'framework' commands provided with this release.
(actualy just the same as you might be able to read (dl) here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seasc/files/

EDI2:
Erm sorry Glenn, you've been there, as i assume you've closed the terminal mainwhile again, here's a 'permanent' fix, as the install-script obviously doesnt run (obviously coding error in the checks).
Code:
echo "alias sc=$HOME/sc/sc" >> $HOME/.bashrc

Last edited by sea; 31st December 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:02 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Is that something that you want the average or new user doing? Setting paths and variables? To be constructively critical, I think it needs to be more intuitive to a first time user.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31st December 2011, 01:14 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

Yes, i fully agree, guess i'll need some more work to do on the install script..

Thats why i made the code copy-paste able from the forum, so its 'easy' to play with it, just keep typing sc whatever argument, i'm not formating/install or anything but multimedia without the approval.

Quote:
:|: sea Script Collection: 0.0.8 Sat 04:43:14 [ 31.Dec.2011 | 365 ] :|:
:|: Fedora 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64 gnome Desktop :|:
tools create-sd extrashell iso2usb lfs lxscreenshot pwizer rmtf set siggen sup vimail yumreset yumresume
[glenn@phenom16 sc>$
You've already had it running, just be more exploring, less afraid, as you're saing you're in VM anyway
The most harmfull code is rmtf, it removes tempfiles, without asking you...

I bet you love sc set, or sc lfs for the reason.

Last edited by sea; 31st December 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:17 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Copy / Paste is fine for me and others with some level of Linux experience.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31st December 2011, 01:19 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Is that something that you want the average or new user doing? Setting paths and variables? To be constructively critical, I think it needs to be more intuitive to a first time user.
No, sure not in the end, but since the last time you were checking the 'oldest'(games) files i had with the sea scripts, i had no feedback at all, so i kept it a little bit advanced atm..
Old 31st December 2011, 01:30 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxchrome

sc-gencmdlist.sh

Output should not scroll off of the screen.

sh sc-gencmdlist.sh
./sc.cfg: line 21: scprint: command not found
./sc.cfg: line 21: scecho: command not found
:|: Init Script Collection Libs... ./system/word2pw :|:.
:|: sea Script Collection sc-README is missing, generating one...

./lxscreenshot

(zenity:3119): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_combo_box_text_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_COMBO_BOX_TEXT (combo_box)' failed

(zenity:3119): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkComboBox' to `GtkComboBoxText'

(zenity:3119): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_combo_box_text_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_COMBO_BOX_TEXT (combo_box)' failed

(zenity:3119): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkComboBox' to `GtkComboBoxText'

./lxscreenshot: line 30: import: command not found
FATAL coding error?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31st December 2011, 01:38 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

I guess you're refering to 2 diffrent executions?

1) Dont know how to get amount of lines that dont exceed either terminal or window lines, you may however open the sc-README file with vi/nano/whatever thats now placed in the same folder as gencmdlist.sh
2) Check for zenetiy required, or how did you execute it, in a terminal window or a virtual console?

Last edited by sea; 31st December 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:40 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Zenity is installed, apparently as a standard part of Fedora 16. I had success with siggen as witnessed by my signature lines.

Oh, yes, 2 different executions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
collection, feedback, lfs, script, setup