Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th December 2011, 11:25 AM
Kakao Offline

linuxfirefox
Unity in addition to Gnome Shell ?

I have used Gnome Shell (GS) for more than seven months now in my laptop and signed to the GS haters club. Because of GS I "upgraded" my desktop to Windows 7.

I have been trying Ubuntu 11.10 in my netbook and I'm surprised by how much better Unity is compared to GS. It still does not make a tablet UI a good idea for a desktop but makes it bearable. Hence my question: Would there be a chance to include Unity in Fedora alongside or in instead of GS?

Web Python

Last edited by Kakao; 20th December 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:58 AM
Sagitter Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Unity in addition to Gnome Shell ?

What's GS ?
Unity is hated in Ubuntu; why should be better in Fedora ?

Old 20th December 2011, 12:26 PM
Kakao Offline

linuxfirefox

Unity is hated in Ubuntu because they didn't try Gnome Shell (GS) in which case their hate would be transferred to GS and Unity would be seen as not that bad.

Web Python
Old 20th December 2011, 12:28 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

By GS he means GnomeShell.
I dont know if there is a repo for Unity around, maybe you're luky when browsing the net for it.

Anyway, the Fedora devs (i guess) wont do an Unity package, as they only provide GS as main DE for Fedora (sure there are more DE's on the DvD, but not unity, and the GS needs all their attention
Old 20th December 2011, 02:37 PM
MALsPa Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakao View Post
I have been trying Ubuntu 11.10 in my netbook and I'm surprised by how much better Unity is compared to GS.
It's funny, some people say this and some people say the opposite. And some people like neither, some like them both.

I like them both. I don't know anything about getting Unity in Fedora, but Ubuntu 12.04 will have both Unity and GNOME Shell, I think.
Old 20th December 2011, 03:19 PM
Sagitter Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
... but Ubuntu 12.04 will have both Unity and GNOME Shell, I think.
Probably, i think.

Why ? Because Canonical is losing most users to have forced Unity in Ubuntu. Unity doesn't like and many people move from Ubuntu to Fedora (with Gnome-shell) or to Mint.

Include Unity in Fedora too, is self-defeating.

Last edited by Sagitter; 20th December 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 20th December 2011, 05:00 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitter View Post
Canonical is losing most users to have forced Unity in Ubuntu. Unity doesn't like and many people move from Ubuntu to Fedora (with Gnome-shell) or to Mint.

Include Unity in Fedora too, is self-defeating.
Agreed, it would make little to no sense. No need to go pissing off all the Ubuntu refugees we're getting now. Someone may make unofficial packages but I doubt Unity would ever be in the official Fedora repos.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 20th December 2011, 05:30 PM
Kakao Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
No need to go pissing off all the Ubuntu refugees we're getting now.
The refugees would still have GNOME Shell and it could prevent some Fedorians from jumping the fence. That is probably the Ubuntu strategy including GS.

Web Python
Old 20th December 2011, 06:00 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakao View Post
it could prevent some Fedorians from jumping the fence
I think it's unlikely that Fedora users who didn't like GNOME Shell would like Unity; they both have that "tablet" interface, which is the source of the dissatisfaction with GNOME Shell among Fedora users. Then again that's assuming rational behavior, which obviously isn't always the case.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 20th December 2011, 07:32 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Both Unity and MATE are available in the Arch AUR, Arch's user-supported repository.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE
Old 20th December 2011, 09:52 PM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_7chrome

Yeah you can get Unity (user contributed) on Arch now but I doubt you'll find it ever in Fedora. Not only does it detract from their focus, but you have to do all manner of stuff to get Unity working, like patching existing packages with Canonical's code etc and quite frankly it sounds like a pain in the butt.

I highly respect Fedora for pushing Gnome3/Shell as their default/primary desktop. They're one of the few distros to do it and they will help to push Gnome 3 forward and advance it (hopefully).

Last edited by ElderSnake; 20th December 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:20 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Unity is mostly a hack that will be hard to maintain at long term.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:24 PM
tox

windows_7firefox

i do believe i think AdamW was gonna try an build Unity for Fedora sometime ago but for some reason it was never done. you may find the reason on AdamW's blog somewhere. i think this is the link http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/02...things-update/ http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/12...es-and-f15-qa/ http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/12...dora-possibly/

Quote:
Basically, I abandonned for the following reasons:
1. it needed a patched glib that would never have been accepted in Fedora since upstream doesn’t want the patch either
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=606960

2. it was a huge amount of work to package all those libs, but that’s not something undoable

3. once everything is in Fedora, Unity would be pretty useless anyway since lots of apps would still need to be patched to support the indicators stuff, and those patches would probably never be accepted in Fedora either

Items 1 and 3 are what discouraged me, but if their situation changed, I’d be happy to work with you on it.
my guess the Ubuntu devs hacked the patch into there own glib since upstream never did it

Last edited by tox; 20th December 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:19 AM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_7chrome

That's what annoys me the most, for all the good Canonical do, they just have to make to things harder with the needing to change existing packages and install a bunch of new ones that just about no other distro other than Ubuntu actually use.

They don't actually make it impossible to use their stuff.... but they sure make it difficult and somewhat impractical.
Old 21st December 2011, 01:48 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
With the advent of extensions for Gnome 3, MATE is doomed from the start and pointless IMHO. Trying to maintain library no longer used by upstream would be a nightmare.