Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th December 2011, 06:11 PM
stepher Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Samba and postgresql issues...

First off, apologies for posting 2 problems in the same posting. Since I'm now on 64-bit Fedora.....

So I took the plunge last week and jumped from F14, 32-bit to F16, 64-bit. I'm getting use to the new user interface and have come to realize a number of the programs I had installed on F14 need to be installed onto F16 (will do that over time).

I'm trying to get both Samba and postgresql up and running (had both working pretty well on F14) and here's where I'm at:

Samba: I have been able to get the Fedora 16 sys to see (and access) my windows shared files but am unable to see Fedora files/directories from my WinXP machine (The funnily frustrating part is I had just the opposite when running F14 I have both systems with same network name, I can ping (and get a response from) the F16 box from the WinXP system and I have set up a Samba "share" directory (currently sitting under the "media" folder). Yesterday, for what seemed was a fraction of a moment (prob'ly until I changed something), when I attempted to map a network drive I could actually see the name of the Fedora machine ("Fedora"), but no folders/files below that. Today, I cannot even see the Fedora box.

PostgreSQL: I have been unable to get this up and running. I saw the service active yesterday after I had installed postgresql, but today when I brought the system up, the postgresql service did not exist. I've tried reinstalling and reinitializing it, but now when I execute the command '/usr/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data' I keep getting a message that postgresql cannot access the postgresql.conf file. I've checked permissions for the pgsql folder and it is for postgres.

I suspect I am missing something simple and straightforward (at least, I hope so) in both of these situations. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers...Steph
and

Tags
issues, postgresql, samba