Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th December 2011, 01:42 PM
Clockmender Offline

linuxfirefox
Talking MacAir cannot connect to NFS Exports

Hello

I have a long standing problem getting my MacAir to connect to NFS exports on my Fedora machine. The Fedora machine has two secondary discs, one a Sata500Gb internal and the other a 750Gb USB external. I have exported these using the NFS Gui and my laptop (a Vaio running Bunty Ocelot, for reasons too complicated to go into here), can mount and access these exports with no problems.

My wife's MacAir can see these shares with Finder but when we try to connect wI get the message "Remote Server in not allowing any more users to logon.

HELP - what am I doing wrong here (apart from letting my wife access my computers of course)

Second problem is that I can see the Fedora machine's remote desktop on the MacAir but cannot access it - get various messages telling me basically not to be so stupid as to try to work on the Fedora machine from the comfort of my easy chair using the MacAir as a remote screen viewer. (Vaio machine can see and operate the Fedora machine using the remote viewer).

I want the NFS export mounted on the MacAir so we can access the music collection on the Sata500 drive. I know I could use SqueezeBox Server and Squeezeplay to play music but there are other files I wish to access when using the Mac - I also use the external 750Gb drive for backups, etc.

Any help greatly received.

Clock
Old 15th December 2011, 02:26 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: MacAir cannot connect to NFS Exports

Well, the silly question, does your /etc/exports file include a range of addresses including the Macbook? What does showmount -e give you.

Also, for NFS, you have to play a bit with iptables.

I used this.

http://aaronwalrath.wordpress.com/20...-linux-rhel-6/
Old 15th December 2011, 05:35 PM
Clockmender Offline

linuxfirefox

/etc/exports below, filled in line with on-line advice

/mnt/Sata500 *(ro,insecure,sync,insecure_locks,all_squash,anonu id=500,anongid=500)
/mnt/Backup *(rw,insecure,sync,insecure_locks)

Mounts below:

[root@Beastie alan]# showmount -e
Export list for Beastie:
/mnt/Backup *
/mnt/Sata500 *

So are these correct?

Will try your link later....

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I have tried everything on that post and still get the same response on MacAir i.e. "This server is not allowing any other users to log on"

Where do I go from here?

Curiously it will now allow me to run the Fedora machine through remote access...deeply disturbing I think but I still cannot mount the drive - how should one go about this as all the info I have is to use Finder then Go > Connect to server > put in the mount point i.e. 192.168.1.103:/mnt/Sata500 - this is where I get the message after about 30 seconds.

Tick-Tock
Old 15th December 2011, 06:34 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

I don't know. The only thing I can think of is maybe the UID stuff you have in there. Mine is very insecure, only used for brief minutes copy something over, and just reads

/home/username/shares *(ro,insecure,all_squash)

You could try temporarily stopping iptables and seeing if that is it, or temporary set selinux to permissive with the setenforce 0 command, but I don't think it's selinux.
Old 17th December 2011, 03:12 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

I thought you had to export NFS shares explicitly to each client.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:11 AM
Clockmender Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismurphy View Post
I thought you had to export NFS shares explicitly to each client.
The * after the mount point indicates that all ip addresses can logon - I think I will change this to 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 so that only machines on my local network can access the mount (all others outside my house are blocked by firewalls on the router, etc.) So I don't think this is the problem.

My Vaio can see the drives but the Mac is still seeing the message about the server not allowing additional users to logon. I remain confused!

The problem seems to be permissions for the Mac user rather than the export - perhaps the setup for Mac is slightly different he said clutching at straws.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:38 AM
Clockmender Offline

linuxfirefox

18/12

Tried what it said here:

http://etutorials.org/Linux+systems/...+from+the+Mac/

Still does not work...

I am still getting the same message on the Mac.

OK have read this:

http://mactechnotes.blogspot.com/200...client_31.html

Am I correct in assuming that the Fedora Server is not allowing any more users because they are not defined on the Fedora PC? i.e. the user account on the mac does not exist on the server. I have noticed that both my Linux machines have the same user name and uid/gid combination so is this why it works on these machines. Should I find what the Mac user details are and either add them as a user to the Fedora PC or use map_static to map them to my user details on the server as this part of the above link seems to be saying?

Change uid to mount the nfs server??
That's kinda crazy, and not very safe thing -- you can really mess things up. Isn't it MUCh easier, on the nfs side, to do uid mapping? in exports file specify

nfs_server:/dir_toexport client(rw,map_static=/etc/file.map)

where file.map should simply consist of
uid 501 1000

this will statically map uid 501 on the Mac side to 1000 (or whatever it is the uid of the owner of the /dir_toexport)

Unfortunately I cannot check this today as the boss has gone out taking her Mac Air with her! (very unreasonable when I am trying to set it up me thinks)

Can someone clear this up for me then I will go away and leave you all in peace!

Cheers
Clock

Last edited by Clockmender; 19th December 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: New information
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:07 AM
scokar Offline

macossafari

on my mac, i can mount fedora 16 NFS exports by adding the "-o resvport" mount option.

mac_term> sudo mount -t nfs -o resvport myserver:/myshare /lan/myshare

source: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apple-m...mand-tutorial/

Last edited by scokar; 22nd December 2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: cited source
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:20 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Might be repeating what's in the posted URLs which I haven't looked at, but NFS mount behavior changed in 10.6 where you have to go to Disk Utility > File > NFS Mounts and set it up in there. If that works, and also modifies /etc/exports on Mac OS X, you can then peak into it to see what vernacular it wanted.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Also, I'm not sure how Fedora 16 NFS defaults, NFSv3 or v4? Fallback? But Mac OS X 10.6 defaults to NFSv3, as it only has (at best) alpha v4 support. 10.7 has NFSv4 support, but I'm not sure off hand if it's the default.

Tags
connect, exports, macair, nfs