Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th December 2011, 06:11 AM
Downloaded Offline

linuxfirefox
USB Webcam Mic (Sort of) Not Working

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Linux user running Fedora 16 (GNOME) 32-bit on my desktop PC (dual booting with Windows 7) and everything is going swimmingly aside from the fact that my USB webcam mic doesn't appear to be doing what it's supposed to. When I go into sound settings and mess about with the options I see that I have the webcam selected as my output device, it's unmuted and it even seems to be receiving sound (when I snap my fingers or speak, I can clearly see that the sound registers on the test bar.) However, when trying to make Skype calls I can't seem to get the darn thing to transmit my voice. Not really sure what to do.

If it makes any difference I used to have Fedora 15 installed but couldn't use it due to sound issues (namely, my audio hardly worked) so maybe I just have some sort of strange mobo hardware incompatibility.

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D
Old 12th December 2011, 12:15 PM
makuz Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: USB Webcam Mic (Sort of) Not Working

as far as i know skype uses OSS for audio which has some limitations, while other programs are probably more modern.
this link describes some workarounds that might help: http://juljas.net/linux/skype/

Tags
mic, sort, usb, webcam, working