Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th December 2011, 03:44 PM
makuz Offline

linuxfirefox
Elo touchscreen F16 xorg.conf

I'm trying to make a serial Elo touchscreen work with Fedora 16. Since I could read the data from the serial port, but the mouse cursor was not moving I compiled the elographics driver with debug support, and it receives the touch events and prints the coordinates to the Xorg.0.log file. But the cursor is still not moving. Am I overlooking something? Any help would be appreciated.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Inputdevice    "Touchscreen0"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Touchscreen0"
    Driver "elographics"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option "Type" "finger"
    Option "AlwaysCore"
EndSection
Old 16th January 2012, 02:51 PM
makuz Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Elo touchscreen F16 xorg.conf

I still don't know how to fix this. Although I tested the configuration below in F14 and it was working perfectly. Any ideas what impedes the driver from working in F16?

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Touchscreen0"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Touchscreen0"
    Driver "elographics"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "DebugLevel" "5"
    Option "ScreenNo" "0"
    Option "MinX" "300"
    Option "MaxX" "3800"
    Option "MinY" "3800"
    Option "MaxY" "300"
EndSection
Old 20th January 2012, 09:08 PM
DougK Offline

windows_7chrome

I'm actually running into a similar problem using Fedora 15. The only real difference is that I got the serial driver from elotouch.com and built that. With earlier versions of Fedora, the elographics driver worked just fine, but in Fedora 15 the built-in driver doesn't seem to work.

The only problem I am running into is the elo driver from their site creates an ABI error which then causes the driver to unload. If I add the server flag IgnoreABI, X fails to load. the log file stops right as it tries to load the elo driver.

I have built the elo driver for other releases of Fedora, and have found that X won't load if the touch screen is not connected when the driver is configured. One of the things I noticed is the instructions for the driver say to add loadelo and eloser to /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, but the comments on that file say that the script is executed AFTER all other init scripts. I kind of suspect that X is trying to load before those scripts are run, and those scripts need to be run before X can start. I haven't played around with this a whole lot, and I haven't yet gotten the touchscreen to work.

Take a look at the /var/log/Xorg.n.log files and see if that gives you any insight. I'm going to try the built-in elographics driver again and see if it works.

Last edited by DougK; 20th January 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:35 AM
makuz Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you. I really think that something has changed in X, because with the "DebugLevel" "5" option I can see all touchscreen messages in the Xorg.log. They just don't move the X cursor. I also found that the elographics driver will be removed from F17. At the moment, my solution is a small custom application that reads the touchscreen data from the serial port and emulates mouse cursor behaviour.
Old 23rd January 2012, 04:56 PM
DougK Offline

windows_7chrome

One thing I noticed is that when I switched over to the elographics driver instead of the elo driver from elotouch.com, is that there are errors that say "Dropping one byte in attempt to sync" in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. After a few of these messages, it then says something along the lines of "Controller rate incorrect or model 2310, continuing..."

Hopefully I can get my issue figured out. It looks like you may have gotten yours squared away.

Tags
elo, f16, touchscreen, xorg, xorgconf