Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2011, 08:26 PM
thesun Offline

linuxfirefox
Luddite gets used iPod, can't change folder name

Okay, I've resisted for years getting an iPod and finally got a good deal on a friend's used one. I've figured out how to put files on and off of it using gtkpod and play using Amarok, but it still says his name in the /media directory. I've changed it on my desktop and in the iPod, but for some reason the command line (and when I view the /media folder in Nautilus) still have the old name.

I tried:

Code:
sudo mv /media/johndoeipod /media/myipod
But it said the device or resource was busy. I've tried unplugging it and the same command said directory not found.

So for some reason it's automatically created an entry in the old name for this device and I'd love to change that. Anyone know how?

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

I even tried changing the /dev/disk/by-label/ name and it STILL shows up as "/media/johndoeipod" in the media folder....

:-(
Old 6th December 2011, 08:34 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Luddite gets used iPod, can't change folder name

The volume label can be changed but it depends on what type the filesystem is. If you post the output of "cat /proc/mounts |grep johndoeipod" it should show the filesytem type. Also the output of the "blkid" command could prove useful to see what is going on. There is also the possibility that there is some sort of persistent mount name being created in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Last edited by JEO; 6th December 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:42 PM
thesun Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Luddite gets used iPod, can't change folder name

It was a volume label issue, you were right on. I actually used Red Hat's "Disk Utility," unmounted the drive, relabeled it, and all was good. Thanks for your help!!! (It was a FAT32, by the way!)

Tags
change, folder, ipod, luddite