Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2011, 07:46 PM
yaxattax Offline

windows_7firefox
Live USB creator, YUM and installing to disk

Hi all,

I've a simple question.

If I create a Fedora16 liveUSB with persistent storage, and use the persistent storage for putting all the YUM updates on that I want, when I install to hard disk, will I get the everything as installed by YUM, or only the live CD/USB image verbatim?

Regards,

Yax
Old 6th December 2011, 07:55 PM
jenaniston Offline

linuxrekonq
Re: Live USB creator, YUM and installing to disk

pretty neat question to ask really . . .

I'm hardly an expert, but I have done much with live USB and partioning and installs . . . to hard drives and pendrives

and it does seem to me you would only get the install program to install Fedora Linux - not the live iso "verbatim",
which btw does the live install program of a full Fedora Linux install (which is definitely different than the live iso "verbatim" anyway)

Does that make sense ?
Old 6th December 2011, 08:03 PM
yaxattax Offline

windows_7firefox

Let me get this right:

If I use the liveUSB to install, I get something different to what I would get if I used the liveCD to install?

In addition to that, any customisations (e.g installation of software using YUM) I made with the persistent storage are not reflected in the install to hard disk?

That would be a shame. I'm going to be getting a new PC at university, and I'm in the bizarre situation of having a faster network connection at home than at university, meaning I would rather do all the downloading I need to do at home than at university. I could copy the RPMs but that would be considerably trickier, especially seeing as YUM orders the RPMs appropriately.

I suppose one could write a recursive script to install the dependencies prior to the package based on RPM error messages ... still not a particularly exciting prospect.

Last edited by yaxattax; 6th December 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:26 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

I did a recent install using a liveusb and I noticed that it copied some changes I had in NetworkManager connections to the new hard disk (located in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts). So it does copy some stuff. However, I don't believe a live usb install will copy anything you have in your /home/liveuser directory you would have to copy that stuff manually later.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:30 PM
yaxattax Offline

windows_7firefox

Thats actually fine with me. I'm mostly concerned about creating a liveUSB containing all the software I require ahead of time so I can literally install from liveUSB and be done. The home directory is already prepared and is coming from someplace else.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:14 PM
jenaniston Offline

linuxrekonq

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaxattax View Post
Let me get this right:

If I use the liveUSB to install, I get something different to what I would get if I used the liveCD to install?

. . .
What I meant . . .
is that the install is not a live CD/USB version at all - it is different in some ways.

The reason I believe that for your specific question you won't get the persistence or yum is
that after the install from a live iso (which is very compressed of a format)
you can later do a check to see where the install came from . . . pretty neat actually, imho.

i.e after an install of Fedora linux 15 0r 16 etc. you can check some file and the kernel level
can tell where the install came from.

Does that make any sense . . . it's hard to explain some things by typing in a post.

As I stated, I think your question is very neat . . . and I hope I can help at least some in shedding some light to your question.

Experts on the forum can definitely chime in with the exactness you really seek.

For the record they may want to see your results of the terminal line as below . . .

Code:
liveuser]# uname -a
my result - currently in my Fedora 13 KDE installed from a live iso is
Code:
Linux robada 2.6.33.1-24.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Tue Mar 30 18:49:12 
UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
this tells me I am in fedora core 13 with the 2.6.33 kernel level

so I'd be interested . . .
cut and paste your results for the uname -a command (for the experts especially)

Good luck . . .
Old 6th December 2011, 10:41 PM
yaxattax Offline

windows_7firefox

Ok I see now.

I understand that what gets installed to hard disk is not a verbatim copy of the liveCD image, indeed that would be silly (e.g, liveuser, a known user is a security flaw, root with no pw, security flaw again, plus scanning of all the devices, increasing boot time, etc).

What I meant was, if I have a customised fedora install (with extra packages installed specifically) from a USB drive, will I get the packages on the liveUSB as well (a user above has noted his config files were moved, but I'm more interested in packages so I can have a low effort installation having done all the work a prioi)?

I don't see how uname -a will provide any insight into this, or even how this can imply the source of installation (not that I'm interested in that anyway).

Thanks for the input however.

As always, I guess the best way is to find out the hard way ...
Old 6th December 2011, 10:56 PM
jenaniston Offline

linuxrekonq

Code:
uname -a
will give the result of your kernel level, though we know it says fc16

an expert (you'll find many here - not me) can then be very specific about any kernel updates.

Anyhoo, welcome to fedora forum - you'll find linux awesome . . .

as you can see from the far right of my posts my linux - instead of your Windows 7 - is being read,
and the other icon is for rekonq . . . a great web browser which is not the default for the KDE flavor

and btw, in Ubuntu (Kubuntu) KDE rekonq IS the default browser . . .

Good luck . . . and fun with linux - alot of potential.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:06 PM
yaxattax Offline

windows_7firefox

Hahaha, thanks for the welcome.

I did not notice the icons on the right. Shame really, because it makes me appear as a linux nooblet - this is my home PC, which has windows for the purpose of playing games (yes, yes WINE, I'm not convinced).

I've used linux previously for 2 years at my old workplace in a development role. Coming back to university I'll again be doing a lot of development and there is no question of using anything other than a UNIX - something which my supervisor is in full agreement on, although he would push me down the OSX road if I were more easily influenced ...

Last edited by yaxattax; 6th December 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 9th December 2011, 09:23 PM
jenaniston Offline

linuxrekonq

Ha . . . yeah since it was your first posts I had figured you may not yet have seen those little icons.
My presumption that you may have been new to linux as well, is well, my bad.

btw, If I posted from the default Fedora KDE browser, it would show a Fedora symbol and the Konqueror
web browser . . .
the rekonq has the security of being read as linux (only) . . . so persemuably a (tiny) bit harder for
someone malicious using some detection program (like snort).

Anyway, maybe some expert can chime in with this bump post to further get you the most correct answer to your question(s) ?
Old 11th December 2011, 08:34 PM
bonedome Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello
slightly off track, have you got persistence to work with fedora 16 live usb ?
Mine refuses to reboot unless I delete or rename the persistence file

Tags
creator, disk, installing, live, usb, yum