Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2011, 08:33 PM
jpaxtons Offline

windows_7chrome
Startup Failure RAID

Greetings!
Running Fedora 9. (been so stable never upgraded) the configuration uses 4 disks in a RAID 10 (not sure now if stripped and then mirrored or mirrored and then striped)
Anyhow, added a line to fstab to mount a NFS volume from a new machine, following the excellent documentation. Entered the mount command and the reply reminded me I did not have the NFS server set up.

Set up the other machine, then executed the command again off the stack, and got a strange response, do not remember exactly but was something like 'no such command'
Figured I'd just reboot the Fedora machine. But, on attempt to restart, it did not work,
so I logged out thinking maybe it 'lost' the SU. I did not think to use the shutdown command as I had a terminal window open.
anyhow, at the login page, I clicked restart or shutdown, (do not remember the button label) nothing.
tried to login as root. no message, just did not log in. Could not get anywhere.
Then, did the dastardly deed. Hard shutdown and restarted. Got this:
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: couldn't find an input inturrupt endpoint
mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 3 drives (out of 4).
init: Unable to execute "/bin/sh" for rcS: No such file or directory
init: rcS main process (527) terminated with status 255
init: Unable to execute "/bin/sh" for rcS: No such file or directory
init: rcS post-stop process (528) terminated with status 255
Kernal alive

does not go further.
Almost no idea how to begin any sort of recovery.

Most of my small amount of linux background is on SuSE, so very limited experience with Fedora.
Perhaps can do some recovery work with the original Fedora 9 disk? There is about .7TB of music and video files on the machine I'd like to salvage.

where to start? Any suggestions, ideas, directions really appreciated.

Have fun,
Paxton

Well, I found my Original disk and have run the rescue system, so I have the system mounted. So I can get to a shell, but then what?

Paxton

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

whoops, I edited the original message to say I found the rescue disk, but what to fix?

Last edited by jpaxtons; 6th December 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:55 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Startup Failure RAID

Are you able to mount the RAID from your rescue environment? "mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 3 drives (out of 4)." seems like one of your drives isn't responding (check cables). If you can't mount it look through /var/log/messages to see why, it may require running fsck on the affected volume.
Old 6th December 2011, 09:31 PM
jpaxtons Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Startup Failure RAID

Great. Thanks, yes when I type mdadm /dev/md0, I get:
/dev/md0: 1383.43GiB raid10 4 devices, 0 spares. use mdadm --detail for more detail.

Ok, now, maybe if I can edit fstabs and remove the line I added and save and shutdown...we will see. Any coaching dealing with the command line editors in this environment is appreciated. Not used command line since I quit claiming GUI was for babies http://forums.fedoraforum.org//forum...lies/smile.gif

Paxton

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Well, pretty sure the array mounted, so now how can I remove my last line from fstabs before I boot?
I think maybe that is causing a problem on start up. I can use vi but I do not understand how to navigate to the file so I can edit it.

Paxton

Tags
failure, raid, startup