Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:27 AM
Quizmaster Offline

linuxfirefox
Yet Another Nautilus bug!

Sup everyone, basically what's transpiring is a Nautilus-3.2.1-2.fc16 crash every time I attempt to load it from either terminal or clicking on the icons of the Applications graphical menu list. After performing a google search, and having found out that.. You guessed it, a ton of Fedora, Red-Hat, SUSE, Mandriva, and every other rpm-based distros I google checked have experienced this, for example:http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho....php?p=1266047 So now what I need to ask you guys is, what's the next best course of action I should be taking in fixing it? Command-line, removing the package manually or another walk-through on config file editing? You tell me.
Old 3rd December 2011, 09:08 PM
Quizmaster Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Yet Another Nautilus bug!

Are there any more questions I need to answer in order to get one answer, besides the fact that I configured my LAN through network settings successfully?
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:15 PM
RHamel Offline

linuxfirefox

I would try:
Code:
su -c 'yum reinstall nautilus'
Old 4th December 2011, 12:33 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

reinstalling nautilus won't fix the problem if it is what I believe it is.

Are you seeing errors in your ~/.xsession-errors file?

Something like... Gconf shutting down?

Lots of people have been getting that lately, and I have been getting it since about a week or so ago after an update.

It affects nautilus, gnome terminal, firefox, thunderbird, and other applications as well. firefox and thunderbird just throw up an error box, but will run.. The other applications won't even run, they usually segfault.

Not sure what is causing it, or what the fix is yet, though..

For now, restarting gnome is about the only way to get things back, at least for awhile.

Edit:
BTW, that post you link to in your original post was several years old, and does not pertain to the current version of nautilus that is in gnome 3.

Last edited by DBelton; 4th December 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:13 AM
Quizmaster Offline

linuxfirefox

I know now that there is no pertinence between this bug and the old one in said post, but I just initially thought their was an interconnection, my mistake. I will however, continue to keep my eyes peeled for Firefox glitches.and others. Check out this recompiling process output:
Code:
[nick@aspire ~]$ su -c 'yum reinstall nautilus'
Password: 
Loaded plugins: aliases, auto-update-debuginfo, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror,
              : filter-data, fs-snapshot, langpacks, list-data, local, merge-conf, presto,
              : ps, puppetverify, refresh-packagekit, rpm-warm-cache, security, show-
              : leaves, tmprepo, tsflags, verify, versionlock
Setting up Reinstall Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * fedora: mirrors.usc.edu
 * rpmfusion-free: mirror.liberty.edu
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.liberty.edu
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.liberty.edu
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.liberty.edu
 * updates: mirrors.xmission.com
_local                                                             | 2.9 kB     00:00 ... 
_local/primary_db                                                  | 1.1 MB     00:00 ... 
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package nautilus.i686 0:3.2.1-2.fc16 will be reinstalled
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

==========================================================================================
 Package              Arch             Version                   Repository          Size
==========================================================================================
Reinstalling:
 nautilus             i686             3.2.1-2.fc16              fedora             2.6 M

Transaction Summary
Reinstall     1 Package

Total download size: 2.6 M
Installed size: 2.6 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
nautilus-3.2.1-2.fc16.i686.rpm                                     | 2.6 MB     00:17     
Running Transaction Check
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing : nautilus-3.2.1-2.fc16.i686                                             1/1 

Installed:
  nautilus.i686 0:3.2.1-2.fc16                                                            

Complete!
In spite of all that command-line success it still crashes and SELinux gives me an ABRT message, that /usr/bin/nautilus was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)? What next?

Last edited by Quizmaster; 7th December 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 4th December 2011, 11:32 PM
RHamel Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, there a number of signal 11 open cases for nautilus in bugzilla. I would try to disable all gnome shell extensions, and see if that makes a difference.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:32 AM
makuz Offline

linuxfirefox

it's difficult to say what's happening, because you didn't post a dmesg error or a backtrace, but i'm experiencing something similar. it's related to the proprietary nvidia driver and glibc i think. so if you are using the nvidia driver try this from terminal:

Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 nautilus

Tags
bug, nautilus