Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2011, 08:16 AM
stuartc Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Slow boot time with F14 on FS Amilo Pi 2550

Good Day

I am new to linux, and would like to know if the long boot time is normal, it takes bout 5min to 6min to boot up,
but after I log on it's fast, any way of speeding up the boot process?

Please I would like a simple guide or something as I am a n00b with linux, just figured out how to install divx and wine on it yesterday, so yea I'm very new to it.

Thank You in advance
Old 1st December 2011, 08:28 AM
teeolendo Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Slow boot time with F14 on FS Amilo Pi 2550

I have the same problem, I hope to get a solution to that as well. It takes close to 20min for my fedora to boot up on my hp dv3-4043TX... newbie
Old 1st December 2011, 08:35 AM
stuartc Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

So it's normal? nothing wrong with my install setup then?
I must say that sometimes when I reboot or start up it takes close to 20min as well

Oh and another thing, how can I open files created with ms office publisher?
And how can I get a pdf printer app?
I would like to keep fedora as the only OS in this laptop, not interested in dual booting with windows

I'm really keen on improving my linux skills with the laptop

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeolendo View Post
I have the same problem, I hope to get a solution to that as well. It takes close to 20min for my fedora to boot up on my hp dv3-4043TX... newbie

Last edited by stuartc; 1st December 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 1st December 2011, 08:42 AM
teeolendo Offline

linuxfirefox

I would say thatś there´s something definetly wrong with the setup I just haven figured out what that might on Fedora 16

Try systemd-analyze blame this may work on your end but as for me all I see at the longest loadtime is 6462ms which tells me thatś not where the problem is likely to be, I suspect the X server buy Iḿ hoping to get an expert opinion via this thread or another that I had posted earlier in today
Old 1st December 2011, 08:47 AM
stuartc Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yea I also hope we get this sorted out bud

Do I type that in the terminal? Tried it and says command not found (n00b) LoL

Quote:
I would say thatś there´s something definetly wrong with the setup I just haven figured out what that might on Fedora 16

Try systemd-analyze blame this may work on your end but as for me all I see at the longest loadtime is 6462ms which tells me thatś not where the problem is likely to be, I suspect the X server buy Iḿ hoping to get an expert opinion via this thread or another that I had posted earlier in today
Old 1st December 2011, 09:13 AM
teeolendo Offline

linuxfirefox

Command not found!! Kindly try
Quote:
systemd-analyze blame
. Incase it does´nt work remember the blind can´t lead the blind
Old 1st December 2011, 10:56 AM
stuartc Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Nope, doesn't work.

Quote:
Command not found!! Kindly try . Incase it does´nt work remember the blind can´t lead the blind
[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Concerning the slow boot time, when I boot up and when the post and bios logo passes, I rapidly move my finger across the touchpad until I am at the logon prompt

The boot process completed under 2min, what would the cause of this be? WEIRD

Last edited by stuartc; 1st December 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 1st December 2011, 09:41 PM
RavanH Offline

linuxopera

You say that stroking (patting? stimulating?) your touchpad makes the system 'come' online quicker? Maybe it's not that weird after all...

Anyway, I have never had boot times longer than 40 seconds, on very old and slow systems. Normally about 30 seconds and if you are lucky, it's closer to 20 seconds. So there definitely seems to be something wrong.

Do you see the Fedora logo during the boot process? And what do you see when you hit the Escape key during the boot process? Maybe your disk is being checked on each boot which, depending on disk size, can take a while...
Old 1st December 2011, 10:04 PM
stuartc Offline

windows_7firefox

After my laptops logo the is a bar filling up on the bottom of the screen and next to it says
Fedora 12. That's when I move my finger left and right on the touchpad fast until I have to type my password, and then I move my finger left and right again continuously or else that takes a while for my icons to appear. And I am correcting my earlier post where I say it takes under 2min, it takes bout 30 sec if I do it like this.

I haven't pressed the ESC button yet during boot, will try it out.
I have a 500G HDD installed, any way to disable that HDD checking on boot each time?

I do notice if I don't move my finger left and right on the touchpad my HDD light doesn't flicker or hardly go on, but when I do the light is continuously on until my icons appear.
Any reason for that? Yea guess it may just help me solve my booting issue, not so weird
after all

Ok I just rebooted my laptop and pressed the ESC button, it says Welcome to Fedora, and doing a bunch of stuff and starting services ect, all of then with status OK in brackets, and this boot up process took less than 30sec I'm sure LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
You say that stroking (patting? stimulating?) your touchpad makes the system 'come' online quicker? Maybe it's not that weird after all...

Anyway, I have never had boot times longer than 40 seconds, on very old and slow systems. Normally about 30 seconds and if you are lucky, it's closer to 20 seconds. So there definitely seems to be something wrong.

Do you see the Fedora logo during the boot process? And what do you see when you hit the Escape key during the boot process? Maybe your disk is being checked on each boot which, depending on disk size, can take a while...

Last edited by stuartc; 1st December 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:01 AM
leigh123linux Offline
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Moved to EOL (End Of Life) Versions

Tags
2550, amilo, boot, f14, slow, time