Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 30th November 2011, 12:09 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox
using DuckDuckGo means paying microsoft tax?

Don't get me wrong , i was and still i am DDG fan ,

i knew that it used yahoo apis, had bing back end for some searching , but this post though paranoidal (please ignore that IE?windows FUD) , points out one simple fact that DDG has a statement of not investing *any* resources in web-crawling and hence will use Bing , that inevitably ,means *filtered , biased and censored results* , which fails DDG. and would help fund Micro$oft.

what's the truth (as you know or conceive it)? , if had to choose between , two Micro$oft and Google i would choose the lesser evil (As i concieve) : Google.

additional DDG post A close look on DDG
Old 30th November 2011, 12:16 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxubuntufirefox
Re: using DuckDuckGo means paying microsoft tax?

Read that yesterday, since DuckDuckGo is installed by default on Mint's Firefox. Apparently, Google doesn't feed back anything to the distro (as yet), so they've opted for one that does. MS: "You pays me now or you pays me later...."
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:51 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Read that yesterday, since DuckDuckGo is installed by default on Mint's Firefox. Apparently, Google doesn't feed back anything to the distro (as yet), so they've opted for one that does. MS: "You pays me now or you pays me later...."
yeah , true dat , Micro$oft tax is inescapable , only if those guys made kick-the-butt software, i wouldn't have complained much .... Mint guys are doing whatever to support their project , even if they had directly accepted *bing* i wouldn't have said a word , everyone knows they are pragmatists.

.... and @bob u are using ubuntu really? i knew that your fedora box died and had only windows , but now Ubuntu , Unity love?? (nah .. kidding )

Last edited by fedvasu; 30th November 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: adding some words.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:12 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxubuntufirefox

Actually, I'm in Mint 12 at the moment. Gnome3 "done right". Dual-booting with F16, of course. You might want to try it, Clem's got things working that Fedora still has issues with (alacarte, mail-notification, picasa, etc.). BTW, the new linux box is working just fine.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th November 2011, 03:32 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Actually, I'm in Mint 12 at the moment. Gnome3 "done right". Dual-booting with F16, of course. You might want to try it, Clem's got things working that Fedora still has issues with (alacarte, mail-notification, picasa, etc.). BTW, the new linux box is working just fine.
I have tried Linux mint in the past , for the distro itself it is ok , but i think some upstream ubuntu repos are badly broken and apart from the fact that apt-get spits on me every time with broken , mirrors.

with all this Mint worship going on , i might try their MGSE spin in a virt-machine. I would recomend this to any noob though!!
Old 30th November 2011, 06:47 PM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox

Last time I checked Bing doesn't filter anything and is not biased on search results.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 30th November 2011, 07:05 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Uhm ... Yeah. About that. http://searchengineland.com/bing-ban...s-sites-102856
Old 30th November 2011, 07:55 PM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox

Interesting. I use Google for the most part. Sometimes I use Bing for images.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 30th November 2011, 08:02 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I use both ... at the same time.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/home
Old 1st December 2011, 05:54 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel
Thumbs down Re: using DuckDuckGo means paying microsoft tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedvasu View Post
what's the truth (as you know or conceive it)? , if had to choose between , two Micro$oft and Google i would choose the lesser evil (As i concieve) : Google.
Maybe it's me, but the past few days DDG's results to queries have been odd

An example: if you enter fedora linux it gives results for articles and everything else possibly referring to fedora linux but not fedoraproject.org. In this example it is in the red box, you have to sort through DDG's profile of fedora linux. Not a big deal, but DDG used to list results to relevance of search.

So now I guess, the relevance of search is in the red box. Again, not a big deal, except sometimes you click on what you have searched (in the red box) and it takes you to a wikipedia article... where you then click on the website of what you have searched. So a few more clicks if you are trying to go directly to the web site of what you are searching.

Maybe this is a better way of showing information on a given search, but it is annoying if you are trying to just go directly to a website.

I have used DDG for awhile, but if it is just going to be a friendly front end to Bing, may have to use Google
Old 1st December 2011, 08:07 AM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Strange. DuckDuckGo, Yahoo and Bing all displayed the Fedora Project home page as their first link (not in any red box either) when searching on "fedora linux".
Old 1st December 2011, 09:31 AM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Maybe it's me, but the past few days DDG's results to queries have been odd

Maybe this is a better way of showing information on a given search, but it is annoying if you are trying to just go directly to a website.

I have used DDG for awhile, but if it is just going to be a friendly front end to Bing, may have to use Google
yeah, that may be possible , for atleast 15 days there was no result about ask fedora, understandable though!

if DDG relies on so many sources , why just not reduc/remove Bing? it already has Yahoo (which right now is 83% Bing back-end), wolphram alpha , if possible use Google.

And about google not giving back to distros , they are brain-dead morons !! (no focus at all , look at the number of products which came and gone), that may be the reason Mint guys lost 2 months of ad-income and for a project of such small size , it can be fatal !!

and idea behind being concerned about "Bing-backend" is weight of M$

M$ is virtually everywhere desktop,serverOS(window$),virtualization(hyperV),s earch(Bing),Cloud(Azure),
platform (.Net),gaming (xbox), browser(IE),you just name it!!

it is not just OS monopoly , they are in good shape everywhere it would be naive to think that they wont bully competitors,to protect their stronghold (Almost monopoly) on the computing world , we might not realize we are living in a mono-culture !!

Any monoculture is bad either M$ or Google , so DDG please , develop your own crawler or build/collabrate with yacY peer-peer network , for being truly independent and pursuing your goal with the community

I use DDG daily , it's not just mint users!!

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

and by the way is there a DDG forum? may be i can troll (ooops complain) there!!

Last edited by fedvasu; 1st December 2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: removing the rants.
Old 1st December 2011, 03:03 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel
Thumbs down Re: using DuckDuckGo means paying microsoft tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
Strange. DuckDuckGo, Yahoo and Bing all displayed the Fedora Project home page as their first link (not in any red box either) when searching on "fedora linux".
Yeah, I tried again today on DDG. I searched linux today, and it did not come up in the results, nor was there a red box. On Google, when searching linux today, Linuxtoday.com popped up as a result.

I checked the settings in DDG to see if something odd was going on, I have used DDG for awhile now, everything looked OK.

Not sure what's up? Again, if DDG is just going to be a front end for Bing, No thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 03:31 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I don't know all this new-fangled stuff about Googly, Yazoo, and Bang...I still use Lycos!
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 1st December 2011, 03:38 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I don't know all this new-fangled stuff about Googly, Yazoo, and Bang...I still use Lycos!
too old fashioned , it gave proper results for ask fedora though !! , they sold to an Indian company Ybrandt , is their future is secure for sure?!

Tags
bing, duckduckgo, google