Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th November 2011, 09:24 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: fedora 16 install issue after reboot

First note that you have two partitions on the same disk. An MBR (protective) and GPT. You have enabled the boot flag on your boot partition in GPT but not MBR. This is very confusing, I realize, but 'boot' for MBR is not the same thing as GPT at all. Because of the 'boot' flag in GPT, in reality your GPT is claiming your linux boot partition is actually an EFI System Partition, because that's what the parted 'boot' flag does on GPT disks. Here is what I would do:

1. Use fdisk to set sda1's boot (active) flag to be enabled. And see if your problem is now fixed.

2. Whether it's fixed or not, the next thing I would do is use parted to toggle the boot flag on sda2 (i.e. remove it). This will set the partition type from EFI System Partition back to Windows Basic Data, which is (unfortunately) the partition type GUID commonly used for linux. Alternatively you could yum install gdisk and use it to change the partition 2 type code to 8300 which is for linux file system - this is what I've done.

I keep forgetting about the nogpt kernel parameter. That's the easiest work around for this problem. So when you go to install from the DVD, hit tab to edit the boot line and add nogpt to the end and then continue booting off the DVD. Then reinstall wiping out the whole disk.
Old 29th November 2011, 11:00 PM
kurci2 Offline

symbianunknown

i used nogpt trick and it worked =)

all i have to figure out now is how to install KDE or how to do that trick on fedora kde live cd
and how to install wireless driver for my broadcom card...

I would now mind if somebody coukd tell me any of these
Old 30th November 2011, 07:38 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

kurci: you should be able to do the nogpt trick for a live install too. anaconda still parses the kernel command line even when you're doing a live install.

I think there's a Broadcom guide pinned in one of the forums isn't there?
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:53 PM
mkesling Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Smile Re: fedora 16 install issue after reboot

I had the PXE-E53: No boot filename received error while installing fedora 16 32 bit on a HP pavilion.

The solution is at the initial install screen hit tab to get the command line. Backspace out 'quiet' from the end of the command line and replace it with 'nogpt'. The problem lies with the gpt filesystem being created. The install should proceed and system should bootup normally.

I 1st tried disableing everything that had anything to do with booting over a network including fxe and it didn't help. I tried the nogpt option and it worked fine with this stuff disabled or enabled.

Getting rid of the quiet option will show line by line the install process and if it hangs you can see where.

Oddly, fedora 16 64 bit installed and booted normally without any of the fxe problem.

Hope this helps

Tags
fedora, install, reboot