Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 24th November 2011, 12:03 AM
synic Offline

linuxopera
ABRT - Multiple Crashes = Killed by signal 11 SIGSEGV

Hi. Bit of an open ended question here.

I am getting ABRT error.. lots... like, with almost every package. When I close a window in Opera web browser, trying to index my music library with Rhythmbox, running GoogleEarth, LibraOffics, etc.

They are all thrown up by

Quote:
... killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
It's really getting to me; like driving me nuts.

I've reported a few but this is just starting to get beyond a joke.

This is a week old install of Fedora 16 / 64 running Gnome 3 on a Gigabyte UD3 990-FXA with a Phenom II 955, 8 gig ram @ 1333mhz 7-7-7-21 timings; Crucial M4 64 SSD.

How can I go about trouble shooting some of this stuff?

and

Is anyone else getting a massive amount of error notifications running just about everything?

and

How can I fix this?

Last edited by synic; 24th November 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:30 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: ABRT - Multiple Crashes = Killed by signal 11 SIGSEGV

I have started getting more errors when I am closing an application using the "x" in the upper right corner of the application as opposed to using the Quit in the "File" menu

I am wondering if they may be changing some things in Gnome
Old 24th November 2011, 04:56 AM
synic Offline

linuxopera

Is it signal 11 (SIGSEGV) ? .... I don't even know that that means...

I just increased the size of my crash report from 1000 to 10000 and now I'm not getting notifications any more, but that doesn't mean the errors / crashes aren't occurring. It just means I don't have to get frustrated looking at them.

It started happening several days ago for me. But it has really only come to a head in the last couple of days with me getting notifications every minute or so. It is driving me nuts.

I'm ready to do a clean install but that is just a cheapskate way out. I just don't have time to trouble shoot it for days.
Old 24th November 2011, 05:03 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I have also just recently started getting some strange errors on starting applications, too.

Sometimes things like a terminal window won't open, and I look in my ~/xsessions-errors file and see some weird errors like Gconf is shutting down or something similar.. Only thing that fixes it is a reboot

(The signal 11 (SIGSEGV) is a segmentation fault (usually occurs when an application makes an invalid memory reference)
Old 24th November 2011, 05:22 AM
synic Offline

linuxopera

Is it possible the segmentation fault is RAM related. I've just built a new system with 8 gig DDR3 and its all new to me.

with the error, I'm even getting them in terminal. I have Amorak freezing (which I thought was just the size of my music database; but to have rhythmbox freezing and throwing up error is a bit funny.

I have LibraOffice quickstarter / tray icon giving me error too. I
Old 24th November 2011, 05:31 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yes, it is possible that it is RAM related, and would suspect it first since you say that it's a new system.

First thing to try would be to make certain your RAM is seated in the slots properly. Remove it and then reinsert it in the slots, making sure it's all the way in. (while in there, make sure everything else is in place, too.. like no cables have gotten bumped and loose, etc...) Then boot up and see if that fixed your problem.

If it didn't, if you have a boot CD that has memtest on it, boot it up, run memtest and let it go for awhile and see if it finds any errors. (I usually leave it running overnight)
Old 24th November 2011, 05:42 AM
synic Offline

linuxopera

I don't need a live disk.. You just spent an entire day getting memtest included on the boot menu of Grub2 for me. So that isn't an issue.

I've run one test of memtest, one pass without errors from boot; and also run it in user space and nothing has shown up.

What concerns me is that what could have suddenly started throwing up these errors if it isn't RAM.
Old 24th November 2011, 06:55 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Could be an kernel problem as well. Do you have a previous kernel installed that you can boot from?
Old 24th November 2011, 08:04 AM
synic Offline

linuxopera

I'm using an akmod. I tried to remove the earliest and found out that they are all intricately linked according to yum.. Yum wanted to get rid of it all so I said no to that.

In fact, I'm unable to boot from the earliest kernel. I don't make it to gnome before an error it thrown up and I have to reboot.

Now, that you mention it, is it possible that a small issue from the first kernel before installing the akmod packages for nvidia drivers have now manifested in this common error?
Old 24th November 2011, 03:15 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

probably not. The issue with your first kernel probably isn't a real issue. It may be something like the kernel-devel package isn't installed for that particular version so the akmod can't build the kernel module. That could be what is causing the error when you try to boot your oldest kernel.

Have you noticed any selinux warnings lately? If selinux is keeping something from running properly, it could be causing your errors.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:58 PM
marko Online

linuxfirefox

You can see some information about software crashes by running abrt-gui, selecting the problem(s) from the list and hitting the Open button.

(this will show up in the menu system somewhere named "Automatic Bug Reporting Tool")
Old 24th November 2011, 07:45 PM
Icedrake Offline

linuxchrome

I was just about to post a topic about this same issue. All of these errors are really starting to get on my nerves; I'll probably just say screw Fedora and go back to Ubuntu, which, even though I dislike Unity immensely, NEVER gave this many errors. And it can't be a problem with RAM, I've used other operating systems on my computer and none have ever given any errors like this. I've also checked SELinux and that has given me no alerts.

Here's some screenshots (click on the thumbnails to make them bigger):

Last edited by Icedrake; 24th November 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:15 PM
synic Offline

linuxopera

Same thing. Miscellaneous crashes for no apparent reason. Well, there must be a reason but it makes no sense to me (which is a reflection of my knowledge base rather than any technical detail), and I just don't have the time to wade through all this stuff.

I am having trouble even configuring Logger, BugZilla etc so that I can report the bugs, upload backtrace files etc.

I've got to much to do; so, as mentioned in a previous post, I've increased the report / log file size for ABRT and now I don't get those errors thrown up at me all the time. My system may well be still having errors, but I don't know about them and it doesn't seem to be impacting on my user experience.

Suggestions on a quick easy noob resolution anyone?
Old 24th November 2011, 08:46 PM
Icedrake Offline

linuxchrome

Hmm... I think I MAY have found the problem. I went into Gnome Tweak Tool and under the Shell section changed the Arrangement of buttons on the titlebar option to Close Only, which was the Fedora default, and restarted my computer. And so far, no errors.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:48 PM
synic Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedrake View Post
Hmm... I think I MAY have found the problem. I went into Gnome Tweak Tool and under the Shell section changed the Arrangement of buttons on the titlebar option to Close Only, which was the Fedora default, and restarted my computer. And so far, no errors.
What??!!! Buttons causing all those errors? That can't be; but I guess anything is possible.

I still get "Gnome Shell" could not load errors when trying to autologin and it drops me back to the login window where I then have to log in as normal.

Tags
abrt errors