Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:50 PM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie
WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working

Alright i have done days of google and this forum but i cant seem to find an easy answer for how to get WiFi working on Fedora 16 KDE . It says firmware missing . How do i get this working ???
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:29 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Re: WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working

Hello elesbb

The problem you are facing is because Fedora doesn't include many things to make wireless work because of restrictive licencing.

To get the wireless to work you will need to provide the number of the chipset in your card.

In a terminal run the command:

Code:
lspci
for a pci device, or:

Code:
lsusb
for one of those and paste back the details that relate to your wireless device.

Someone may be able to help then.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:45 AM
elesbb Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfuller View Post
Hello elesbb

The problem you are facing is because Fedora doesn't include many things to make wireless work because of restrictive licencing.

To get the wireless to work you will need to provide the number of the chipset in your card.

In a terminal run the command:

Code:
lspci
for a pci device, or:

Code:
lsusb
for one of those and paste back the details that relate to your wireless device.

Someone may be able to help then.
thank you for the reply here is the lspci code

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:01 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello elesbb

If you haven't already installed them, you will need the "rpmfusion" repositories.

Google that and on their site you will find instructions for installing them.

Once they are in place:

Code:
yum install akmod-wl
should install what you need.

Reboot the machine once the installation is complete.

That's the broadcom-wl driver. As it needs changing each time the kernel updates, the akmod part will do that automatically.

Post back if you have any questions or problems. There are ways to do that if you don't have a network connection to the actual machine and a way if you have a very small broadband allowance that will require you to download less.

There is just a possibility that you will need to blacklist a couple of things before it works properly.
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:50 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Hello elesbb

If you haven't already installed them, you will need the "rpmfusion" repositories.

Google that and on their site you will find instructions for installing them.

Once they are in place:

Code:
yum install akmod-wl
should install what you need.

Reboot the machine once the installation is complete.

That's the broadcom-wl driver. As it needs changing each time the kernel updates, the akmod part will do that automatically.

Post back if you have any questions or problems. There are ways to do that if you don't have a network connection to the actual machine and a way if you have a very small broadband allowance that will require you to download less.

There is just a possibility that you will need to blacklist a couple of things before it works properly.
alright i did everything as asked , how ever in the configuration menu "Wireless" is not even selectable anymore :'(
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:54 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Hello elesbb

There may be other broadcom drivers loading that interfere with the "wl" driver.

Try running the command:

Code:
lspci -k
and post back the part about your wireless card.

That should tell us which drivers are available and which is claiming your card.
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:00 PM
elesbb Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Hello elesbb

There may be other broadcom drivers loading that interfere with the "wl" driver.

Try running the command:

Code:
lspci -k
and post back the part about your wireless card.

That should tell us which drivers are available and which is claiming your card.
first I just wanna thank you very much for everything . im new to linux (other than vb) and . never encountered things like this in vb . so i had no ide. where to start . so thanks very much !

here are the results from lspci -k:
Code:
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    Subystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e01b
    Kernel modules: ssb
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:37 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Hello elesbb

That's very odd. You would normally expect to see some driver or other trying to stake a claim to a broadcom card.

I think we need to approach this in three ways as we rarely seem to be about at the same time.

Firstly, is there any on/off switch for your wireless that could be set to off. Don't be offended by the question, you'd be surprised how many times you see it happen on the forum.

Second, download and install the rfkill program:

Code:
yum install rfkill
and then run the program:

Code:
rfkill list
It should detect wireless devices and report if they are switched off by software somewhere. Copy/Paste back the results please.

Third, run these commands for me and copy/paste back the results.

Code:
uname -r
to identify your running kernel

Code:
yum list installed | grep wl
That tells yum to list all installed rpm files, run the output through a filter, grep, and only print out the ones with "wl" in the name.
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:33 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
first I just wanna thank you very much for everything . im new to linux (other than vb) and . never encountered things like this in vb . so i had no ide. where to start . so thanks very much !

here are the results from lspci -k:
Code:
    Subystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e01b
    Kernel modules: ssb
You should blacklist the ssb kernel module.

Your /etc/modprobe.d directory should contain a broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf file (which should have been made when you install the akmod-wl and/or kmod-wl. Alternately, you can also use the blacklist.conf file for the same purpose. One of these should contain the following lines:

#modules blacklisted for broadcom-wl
blacklist ssb
blacklist bcma
blacklist b43
blacklist brcmsmac

If you don't see those, then that could be the cause of your problems. Also, just to make sure, did you reboot after installing the akmod-wl file? If not, then it might not have generated the kmod yet.

You can also get the kmod directly by executing yum install kmod-wl. That will give you the correct one for your current kernel. The akmod-wl is useful for when a kernel is released and a kmod isn't yet available.

Hopefully, this will get you on the right track. I have an Acer Aspire One 722 with Broadcom 4313 card, and the information about blacklisting is copied from the broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf file which the installation of the akmod-wl or kmod-wl took care of. I am not sure which one did it, but one of them did.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 24th November 2011, 01:15 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Hello elesbb

That's very odd. You would normally expect to see some driver or other trying to stake a claim to a broadcom card.

I think we need to approach this in three ways as we rarely seem to be about at the same time.

Firstly, is there any on/off switch for your wireless that could be set to off. Don't be offended by the question, you'd be surprised how many times you see it happen on the forum.

Second, download and install the rfkill program:

Code:
yum install rfkill
and then run the program:

Code:
rfkill list
It should detect wireless devices and report if they are switched off by software somewhere. Copy/Paste back the results please.

Third, run these commands for me and copy/paste back the results.

Code:
uname -r
to identify your running kernel

Code:
yum list installed | grep wl
That tells yum to list all installed rpm files, run the output through a filter, grep, and only print out the ones with "wl" in the name.
I do have a spring loaded switch in front but that doesn't do anything tried that . but I'll try both posts once I get home ! I can't thank you guys enough !
Seth

---------- Post added 24th November 2011 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 23rd November 2011 at 10:45 PM ----------

here are the results from yum list installed | grep wl

and i checked the rfkill and there is no hardware or software block for my wireless card . i think it might be the black listing thing . however dummy me uninstalled konquerer web browser which also got rid of the dolphin file explorer . getting that installed and will try the blacklist method .

Code:
akmod-wl.i686                    5.100.82.112-1.fc16.2
broadcom-wl.noarch               5.100.82.112-2.fc16
iwl100-firmware.noarch           39.31.5.1-2.fc15   @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl1000-firmware.noarch          1:39.31.5.1-1.fc16 @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl3945-firmware.noarch          15.32.2.9-5.fc15   @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl4965-firmware.noarch          228.61.2.24-3.fc15 @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl5000-firmware.noarch          8.83.5.1_1-1.fc16  @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl5150-firmware.noarch          8.24.2.2-2.fc15    @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl6000-firmware.noarch          9.221.4.1-2.fc15   @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl6000g2a-firmware.noarch       17.168.5.3-1.fc16  @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl6000g2b-firmware.noarch       17.168.5.2-1.fc16  @koji-override-0/$releasever
iwl6050-firmware.noarch          41.28.5.1-3.fc15   @koji-override-0/$releasever
ppl-pwl.i686                     0.11.2-3.fc16      @fedora                     
python-iwlib.i686                1.1-1.fc16         @koji-override-0/$releasever

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
You should blacklist the ssb kernel module.

Your /etc/modprobe.d directory should contain a broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf file (which should have been made when you install the akmod-wl and/or kmod-wl. Alternately, you can also use the blacklist.conf file for the same purpose. One of these should contain the following lines:

#modules blacklisted for broadcom-wl
blacklist ssb
blacklist bcma
blacklist b43
blacklist brcmsmac

If you don't see those, then that could be the cause of your problems. Also, just to make sure, did you reboot after installing the akmod-wl file? If not, then it might not have generated the kmod yet.

You can also get the kmod directly by executing yum install kmod-wl. That will give you the correct one for your current kernel. The akmod-wl is useful for when a kernel is released and a kmod isn't yet available.

Hopefully, this will get you on the right track. I have an Acer Aspire One 722 with Broadcom 4313 card, and the information about blacklisting is copied from the broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf file which the installation of the akmod-wl or kmod-wl took care of. I am not sure which one did it, but one of them did.
alright i just opened up the broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf file and it matches with what you have posted . i'll try the kmod-wl but i did reboot after i installed the akmod-wl . this sucks
Old 24th November 2011, 01:16 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera

Hello elesbb

It looks to me like you took a shortcut to installing the akmod package somehow.

If you have the rpmfusion repositories installed, the "yum install akmod-wl" command will bring in at least three other packages with wl in their filename along with a whole raft of other dependencies necessary to compile a kernel module.

If you don't have all of the parts then the kernel module won't be compiled when you reboot and the wireless won't work!

How did you get hold of your "akmod-wl" package?
Old 24th November 2011, 03:07 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Hello elesbb

It looks to me like you took a shortcut to installing the akmod package somehow.

If you have the rpmfusion repositories installed, the "yum install akmod-wl" command will bring in at least three other packages with wl in their filename along with a whole raft of other dependencies necessary to compile a kernel module.

If you don't have all of the parts then the kernel module won't be compiled when you reboot and the wireless won't work!

How did you get hold of your "akmod-wl" package?
all i did was

# yum install akmod-wl

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Quote:
all i did was

# yum install akmod-wl
since you said the kmod wasnt being compiled i went and did

# yum install kmod-wl

this made it work .. however i would like to know what i did wrong when i tried the

# yum install akmod-wl

also something simple but i feel stupid asking . how the heck do i create more users for the machine ?

Last edited by elesbb; 24th November 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:00 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
all i did was

# yum install akmod-wl

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

since you said the kmod wasnt being compiled i went and did

# yum install kmod-wl

this made it work .. however i would like to know what i did wrong when i tried the

# yum install akmod-wl

also something simple but i feel stupid asking . how the heck do i create more users for the machine ?
You may have done nothing wrong. I noticed starting with Fedora 15 that akmods were not always being built. I used to get a message that the akmod process was dead (cant' remember the exact message), but I don't see it anymore. By installing the kmod directly, you bypassed the need to build a module. Apparently, the akmod process is not working properly for the wl, at least, for you it doesn't seem to be. Do you have redhat-lsb installed? That may make a difference.

As for making a user, look under administration/Users and Groups. There is where you can add a user. If you don't see that, then do a "yum install system-config-users" as root, and it will add that option.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

Old 24th November 2011, 02:53 PM
elesbb Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
You may have done nothing wrong. I noticed starting with Fedora 15 that akmods were not always being built. I used to get a message that the akmod process was dead (cant' remember the exact message), but I don't see it anymore. By installing the kmod directly, you bypassed the need to build a module. Apparently, the akmod process is not working properly for the wl, at least, for you it doesn't seem to be. Do you have redhat-lsb installed? That may make a difference.

As for making a user, look under administration/Users and Groups. There is where you can add a user. If you don't see that, then do a "yum install system-config-users" as root, and it will add that option.
thanks again for everything ! but no redhat lsb is not installed . and thanks I was looking under system tools . I found it where you told me to thanks again for everything guys ! you rock !
oh one more simple question . in Fedora lxde , where is the touch pad settings ? like to enable tap to click ? god I really am a n00b at this xP

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

oh and happy thanksgiving guys !!
Old 24th November 2011, 07:15 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
thanks again for everything ! but no redhat lsb is not installed . and thanks I was looking under system tools . I found it where you told me to thanks again for everything guys ! you rock !
oh one more simple question . in Fedora lxde , where is the touch pad settings ? like to enable tap to click ? god I really am a n00b at this xP

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

oh and happy thanksgiving guys !!
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I can't really say for LXDE since I am using XFCE. However, this may help:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...ad+login+click

The second post refers to this link:

http://jaisejames.wordpress.com/2011...dm3-fedora-16/

If you have a synaptics touchpad (which seems to be the most common) that supports multi-touch, the lines will support left click with a single finger tap, middle click with two fingers, and right click with three.

Believe me, I have done quite a bit of searching over the past few years. I recommend you use the search function of this forum. It is very useful. I usually choose the option to search forums. For example, to find the information above, I used the terms touchpad login click. Once it is enabled there, it will be enabled globally, so you won't need to worry about finding a specific tool in LXDE to do the job. I havn't needed to find a separate utility to support two-fingered scrolling. It just seems to work on my netbook with synaptics touchpad but not on my desktop with an Alps touchpad. The Alps does have three buttons though, so it makes up for its other shortcomings.

Tags
acer, aspire, netbook, wifi, working