Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th November 2011, 07:50 AM
azagaros Offline

windows_vistachrome
Trying to be at peace with the Samba headache.

To start off with, I would like think I comb through the forums with enough varsity that I might find an answer to an issue or two. Though it seems I see the arrogant sarcasm of the "intellectual" elite more often than those answers.

The task is relatively simple:

In either direction: Fedora 16 LXDE spin to a Windows Vista 64 File Sharing.

When I used openSuse 11.x it seemed to be pretty strait forward and I didn't mind if I got asked to authenticate once in a while. At least I could move files back and forth.

Following the instructions on a billion web posts and I am no closer to finding what makes either machine see each other. And I find SELinux Management GUI utility likes to dive into a endless loop of some form when I touch one of the flags related to Samba. It seems to be a nice gui tool for what looks to be rather complex at the command line.

One of the odd side effects I have seen on the Vista box was a ghost reflection of itself in its network searches, which I found odd with all the wranglings I have done.

So with this headache this has become for so many of us, one would think someone would learn a lesson or two make this process work strait out of the box, like it was mentioned in other posts for other distributions out there.

Usually, I haven't had this much headache with samba and doing this kind of stuff for easily 15 years. I am not an advocate for the Linuxes because of the little issues like this. No wonder the BSD based Mac OS is taking of so fast. This seems to be marketing 101.

I was moving to Fedora so I could do simple Development with wxWidgets and other tools. It seemed that Fedora was the most stable of the distributions for the tools I wanted to use. I was going to test some code I wrote on windows to see what it looked like in gtk based systems and to see If I could track down its gui behavior problem on windows.

Let's see what I have done:
Managed to get both smb and nmb working and with the services running.
Not finding the a fore mentioned flag, which was in one of the posts. At least it didn't show up in the gui tool. I would hope that it would populate all the flags.
This shouldn't require editing the files of Samba if everything is set up correctly.

Funny thing was Fedora 16 worked on these two boxes where fedora 14 and 15 didn't. OpenSuse would work partially on either.

I am sorry for the commentary here. I thought I would give some of the sarcasm back that I saw from one of the Administrators for someone else trying to solve a similar issue.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:10 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Trying to be at peace with the Samba headache.

Why don't you go to the source of it all at Samba? You should be able to find your answers there. Samba is not exclusively geared towards any Distribution.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 20th November 2011, 09:24 AM
azagaros Offline

windows_vistachrome

LOL, thank you for not providing any other insight to the issues at hand that many of us are banging our heads against the walls for.

I could go to the sources of Samba themselves, which are all the same across most of the up-to-date distributed forms of linux. Samba 4.x is out and no one is using it. That sounds like it hasn't gotten to the level of the 3.6.x versions. I am not sure what the differences are though the code base seems to be different and the goals are the same.

What makes every distribution of linux so different if it all based on all the same source code pieces, which is developed by so many different teams? It is almost like we have to have all different flavors for the same structures and how we wish to distribute the money around.

Do we need to tweak all the programs it until it becomes useless to most the people out there? Why do so many linux activists want this stuff so hard to scare away most user base?

I guess I would like this stuff to work without to much headache. This doesn't mean I stump for Microsoft or Apple because those preparatory companies don't seem to get a simple truth of computers.

I guess I will step down from my soapbox and look for more relative answer to my problems.
Old 20th November 2011, 10:32 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox

If you were merely trying to find a solution then you would have plainly asked a question. Your first post on this forum was to bash something that I and many others are not having a problem with. Part of the fun of Linux is moulding it to what you want it to be. Part of the community is to share.

That said, I use Samba every day merely for home networking. I have the most basic set-up that allows me to see the Windows machines in the house. Most tutorials can show how to do that. If you are running business class stuff, then I would suggest taking some classes on setting up business class infrastructure or pay someone to do it for you.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:55 AM
azagaros Offline

windows_vistachrome

Look dude, I said in my first post I have been using some form of Samba for the last 15 years over 7 to 10 different distributions of Linux. Samba isn't that hard. I just don't know what is making it difficult to set up this time, which usually leads me to suspect a bug in the code and would be fixed fairly quickly. In my first post I noted 2 possible bugs.

I am reading tutorials, reading the posts on this board and other things I have found through internet searches, which pertain to fedora 15/16 and I haven't found a answer. There are others on this board who are struggling with this same issue almost with no answer as well.

I am a computer science major in school at the moment to finish a degree I started 20 years ago in computer science. In other words if I wanted to waste some of my precious time tracking my way through several layers of source code to find what could be a bug almost anywhere through all the updates in fedora 16 which could have some baring on the issues, I could. It is fun reading through the Linux kernel's source once in a while.

The first question I could pose was: Why did I get a Reflection of the Vista Box on the VistaBox, masquerading as "LocalHost" when I hadn't change anything on the Vista box? I didn't know I could do this without setting up some form of loop back. Mind you this took place after I got nmb started as a service after reading one of those faithful tutorials out there you wish to point me to. These same tutorials pointed to modifying firewall settings and making sure apples were apples and oranges were oranges.

The Second Question: What I am I missing in my samba configuration that is causing the issues I am seeing? I have been trying to see at least the Vista Box from either of the fedora 16s on the same network.

If I could get anything at all to see anything in the first place it would make setting up the shares easy. nmbscan sees the vista box but nothing else does through out the entire User interface. I do have samba Shares set up on One of the two fedora 16 machines and the vista box doesn't see it.

The vista box is the domain master and the local master for all other on this 3 computer network.

How many other little details can I post to make this idiocy you keep coming back with to get an answer?
Old 20th November 2011, 12:07 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

I have an old page on Samba and Fedora, that, although dated, might or might not offer help.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computer...u/rhsamba.html

See if any of the solutions there help--if not, at the end I give a specific link at samba.org for their troubleshooting document.

Sometimes, though, Windows VIsta and 7 have some things that might prevent samba from working, and I can't really help at that end. I do know that there are things in WIn7 off by default, such as remote registry and such that might or might not affect your problem.

I'd also point out that insulting the one person who answers you isn't the way to get others to help you. When you start using words like idiocy, you open yourself to all sorts of things. Sorta like the story of the city fellow who was lost. Asked the farmer, which way's the nearest town. Farmer says, I dunno. Driver says, You don't know much, do ya.. Farmer answers, I ain't lost.

Courtesy works both ways.

This, obviously, isn't the place to ask about the Vista box. Is is possible that all the trouble is from there? Is there an XP box you could test, to see if the issue is Fedora or Vista? (Conversely, what about trying with a live Ubuntu or other CD, to see if it's Fedora, or samba in general).

At any rate, if nothing on my above mentioned page is useful, the link at the end of said page, to the samba troubleshooting page, might help.
Old 20th November 2011, 12:20 PM
katastrophal Offline

linuxfirefox

I've set up samba on my laptop and have no problems with seeing each other so far. I opened the firewall port, used the selinux boolean (it is mentioned in the smb.conf which one you have to set) to share some folder in my home directory and that's about it. That's how it worked without too much tinkering for the last couple of installs. At least for me.

The only problem I encountered was some broken glibc from the updates-testing repository that caused smbd and nmbd to segfault at startup. So I had to start in manually once the computer was running, but the newest version of that fixed it.
What I would try in your case is narrow it down: first disable the firewall and see if it works, then disable selinux and see if it works and so on. And there's often some helpful stuff in the log files...

I seem to remember some encrytion stuff with win7/vista though, that needs to be changed in windows, but can't remember fully. Google will help you there I guess.
Old 20th November 2011, 12:22 PM
flyingfsck Online

linuxfirefox

Well, I take it that you never read the Samba book. It is about 3 inches thick and all the answers to all your troubles are in there somewhere...

The best way to debug Samba is with smbclient, not a GUI tool, since the GUI tools do not show the error messages.

Once you are done playing with Samba, you should install NFS. It is much, much less trouble than Samba.
Old 20th November 2011, 12:45 PM
azagaros Offline

windows_vistachrome

Ubuntu quit working on the laptop I was using when 9.x and or 10.x came out, so I tried fedora 13, which wouldn't even load on the 512mb box. OpenSuse 11.3/11.4 played happily and samba worked though the KDE interface was resource intensive and alternatives were incomplete on the OS. There were problems with other software which became problematic and I don't know if it was memory management of the OS was being the issue. It was time for a change.

Fedora 14 finally spit back a memory error when I tried it, and I wasn't going to waste my time trying to get it to install on the low memory laptop.

Fedora 15 on an old Athalon 32 bit box with 1gb of memory wasn't even happy with it. OpenSuse loaded but software wasn't behaving properly.

Fedora 16 has been happy on both the laptop, after the memory upgrade, and old desktop.

I had started these adventures with samba clear back on Red-hat 5.x I believe, when the fancy gui's didn't exist.

Thank you for the added info, I had seen something eluded to about SELinux but wasn't finding a complete enough reference to make any changes so I thank you for the info.
Old 21st November 2011, 05:12 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox

Congrats on accomplishing your degree after 20 years. Must feel really great. Sorry you are having issues. This is not other forums and I am sure someone can help you find the answers you are looking for here. I am just a simple end user and could not begin to address your problems from a technical perspective, but that means nothing as I know someone here can help.

I should add that the only issues I have with Samba right now is I can see all the W7 boxes in the house but they can't see me. I am not done tweaking it though. I'm not sure, but it could be a Windows problem instead of a Samba issue. But hey, that's all I know. End user out.

Tags
headache, peace, samba