Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 18th November 2011, 03:08 AM
ScottFavor Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F16 iptables with new eth naming

Is there a new syntax in writing iptable rules now that eth0 and eth1 are named differently in F15 & F16. I know the new names, but I want to make sure to use what the iptables will understand, and if it can use these new raw network interface names.

The minimalist firewall GUI won't distinguish between my inward and outward facing interfaces, so I have to go into iptables and do it myself.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 04:45 PM
ScottFavor Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: F16 iptables with new eth naming

I see from viewing other threads that some are finding solutions through other means, like making Fedora revert to using the eth-n names. At least then I would be certain that the iptables firewall is happy. Another suggestion was referring to source by MAC address of the interfaces.

I will try that, or both, but for now I've re-installed F14 on my machines. When support for 14 stops I'll have to see if any of the lost functionality due to the adoption of the new Gnome has been regained and if it's worth staying with Fedora.

Thanks to all that have read my thread.

Tags
eth, f16, iptables, naming