Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2011, 11:05 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
installed Fedora 16 x86_64 KDE4 - mouse paste doesn't work

I have fresh installed my Sony Vaio from Fedora 15 to 16. It's pretty much working ok but for one annoying thing. I really like the old mouse feature where you could select some text, then press just the middle mouse button in another window and the text would auto paste. What I have to do now is select the text, and use either the Copy and paste in the Edit pull down menu of the app or use the shift+cntl+C/Shift+cntl+V hot keys. That's obviously a poor workaround for the handy mouse button only way. I read elsewhere it might be a misconfiguration in Klipper (Ignore selection checked) but my ignore selection was not checked.

Does anyone know how to fix middle mouse paste in KDE4 for Fedora 16? (Note, I think this was not working on my Fedora 15 either)
Old 14th November 2011, 06:13 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome
Re: installed Fedora 16 x86_64 KDE4 - mouse paste doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I have fresh installed my Sony Vaio from Fedora 15 to 16. It's pretty much working ok but for one annoying thing. I really like the old mouse feature where you could select some text, then press just the middle mouse button in another window and the text would auto paste. What I have to do now is select the text, and use either the Copy and paste in the Edit pull down menu of the app or use the shift+cntl+C/Shift+cntl+V hot keys. That's obviously a poor workaround for the handy mouse button only way. I read elsewhere it might be a misconfiguration in Klipper (Ignore selection checked) but my ignore selection was not checked.

Does anyone know how to fix middle mouse paste in KDE4 for Fedora 16? (Note, I think this was not working on my Fedora 15 either)
Right click on the desktop - Desktop Settings - Mouse Actions. Use the drop down menu for the middle button to select paste.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:25 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

It's already set to 'paste' for the middle button there.
Old 14th November 2011, 08:52 PM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

I just tested it on F15 x86_64 KDE 4.7.3 and it works. Might be one of the bugs fixed for 4.7.3. Haven't got a F16 system at the moment but it is 4.7.2 isn't it?
Old 16th November 2011, 01:26 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah, I have Fedora 15 with KDE at work that has a working mouse paste. I also noticed that both my Fedora 16's on laptops are broken for mouse paste but my desktop with Fedora 15 is ok. I just installed Fedora 16 on another desktop at work and haven't tried it yet for this problem. It seems like it might be related to laptops (also those are the only ones I have with Intel video, the desktops are all ATI or Nvidia)
Old 16th November 2011, 02:52 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

Then it may be the way the mouse, or is it touchpad?, is recognised it. Middle click might not be detected correctly.
I tested on a laptop but with a bluetooth mouse.
Old 16th November 2011, 02:56 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjd View Post
Then it may be the way the mouse, or is it touchpad?, is recognised it. Middle click might not be detected correctly.
I tested on a laptop but with a bluetooth mouse.
I've just noticed my Asus UL30VT laptop with Fedora 16 has the paste working, so it's just my Sony Vaio that's messed up.

BTW, I always have the touchpad off
Old 16th November 2011, 03:06 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

Good to see you are narrowing it down. Seems to be a hardware issue then?
Old 27th November 2011, 10:50 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

UPDATE - just tried mouse paste on the Vaio, it works too now. Probably got fixed by the update to kdelibs and kdelibs-common I updated to on Nov 25

Tags
fedora, installed, kde4, mouse, paste, work, x8664