Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th November 2011, 02:37 AM
HalfEmptyHero Offline

linuxfirefox
Tracker?

Tracking keeps on crashing on me and running up my cpu. How can I disable it? I tried killall tracker-extract but it keeps on respawning.
Old 10th November 2011, 05:55 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: Tracker?

run 'gnome-session-properties' and disable all the Tracker bits.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 10th November 2011, 08:49 PM
HalfEmptyHero Offline

linuxfirefox

Nice, thanks.
Old 11th August 2012, 03:13 AM
undoIT Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for this. I was having the same problem with Fedora 17 KDE. Looked everywhere in system settings and couldn't find the place to turn off tracker. Added to my list of hacks for post-install.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Nope. Didn't work. Installed system updates, rebooted into KDE and tracker came back.

Darned tracker is still crashing. Currently, the tracker junk running in the background is consuming almost 1GB of RAM.

Quote:
Process /usr/libexec/tracker-extract was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
Checked gnome-session-properties and all instances of tracker are still unchecked. I think it is also necessary to do this:

Code:
sudo rm ~/.config/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop && rm  ~/.config/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
Old 11th August 2012, 10:27 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

gnome-session-properies is for GNOME, and has no relevance to KDE's session manager. I'm not sure what the normal way to configure KDE's session manager is though.
Old 11th August 2012, 11:56 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfirefox

If you're going to shutdown tracker permanently, you might want to run:
Code:
tracker-control --hard-reset --remove-config

-r, --hard-reset
              This  kills  all processes in the same way that --kill does but it also removes
              all databases. Restarting tracker-store re-creates the databases.

-c, --remove-config
              This removes all config files in $HOME/.config/tracker. All  files  listed  are
              files  which  were  found  and successfully removed.  Restarting the respective
              processes re-creates the default configuration files.
Disabling tracker and cleaning up after it's initial start are two things I do after every install. I was kind of hoping it would go away, but it's part of gnome.

dd_wizard
Old 14th August 2012, 03:59 AM
undoIT Offline

linuxfirefox

Tracker will not die!

Even after doing everything listed in this thread and also turning off everything I could find related to Nepomuk/Strigi Desktop search, tracker-miner-fs, tracker-store and tracker-extract are still running in the background after reboot, chewing up the CPU, guzzling RAM and reducing the life of my SSD.

This is frustrating.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I finally tracked down the culprits:

/etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-flickr.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop

If you are feeling barbaric you can deal with the offenders like so:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-flickr.desktop && rm /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop && rm /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
Otherwise, you can try editing each entry to disable them (not sure how to do that and don't feel like fiddling with tracker anymore).
Old 14th August 2012, 08:12 AM
bepaald Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by undoIT View Post
Tracker will not die!

I finally tracked down the culprits:

/etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-flickr.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop

If you are feeling barbaric you can deal with the offenders like so:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-flickr.desktop && rm /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop && rm /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
Otherwise, you can try editing each entry to disable them (not sure how to do that and don't feel like fiddling with tracker anymore).
This obviously works, but is not the normal way of disabling these services. Note also that if you use this method, that is editing/removing global files, any update of a package providing these files will recreate and thus re-enable the services. A more permanent way to disable services from xdg/autostart is to create user-owned .desktop files in your home directory. The desktop files can simply be empty. During startup, the home directory will be checked first and, even though the empty file doesn't do anything (because it's empty), desktop files with the same name from other places (like /etc/xdg/autostart, which is scanned later) are not started anymore. As they are personal files in your home directory, they will persist through updates and reinstalls. So, to disable the three services mentioned above simply:
Code:
touch ~/.config/autostart/tracker-miner-flickr.desktop ~/.config/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop ~/.config/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
I don't have these tracker-things by the way, probably because I don't have gnome installed, but this is how I managed to disable zeitgeist. And I must say I was pretty disappointed that KDE (and gnome?) do not provide GUIs to manage the services started through the xdg autostart method.

bepaald
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:07 PM
jhhaynes Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepaald View Post
This obviously works, but is not the normal way of disabling these services. Note also that if you use this method, that is editing/removing global files, any update of a package providing these files will recreate and thus re-enable the services. A more permanent way to disable services from xdg/autostart is to create user-owned .desktop files in your home directory. The desktop files can simply be empty. During startup, the home directory will be checked first and, even though the empty file doesn't do anything (because it's empty), desktop files with the same name from other places (like /etc/xdg/autostart, which is scanned later) are not started anymore. As they are personal files in your home directory, they will persist through updates and reinstalls. So, to disable the three services mentioned above simply:
Code:
touch ~/.config/autostart/tracker-miner-flickr.desktop ~/.config/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop ~/.config/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
I don't have these tracker-things by the way, probably because I don't have gnome installed, but this is how I managed to disable zeitgeist. And I must say I was pretty disappointed that KDE (and gnome?) do not provide GUIs to manage the services started through the xdg autostart method.

bepaald
Well for some reason that doesn't work for me. The files you said to touch are already there,
so I renamed them and then touched new empty ones, and tracker is still there when I log out
and back in. So guess I will have to use the more brutal method.

Tags
tracker