Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2011, 10:14 PM
GCO Moga Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F15 will NOT install in free space on HDD

I want to install Fedora 15 on the 200 GB I have free on my laptop's HDD. The target machine is a replacement for an earlier dual boot laptop that was accidentally destroyed. The only difference is that one had F14 / W7. My new machine comes from the factory with Windows 7x64 installed. I shrunk the active partition from within win7 successfully, and booting Fedora from a live image on a SD card.

Fedora installer shows that 200 GB is free, yet when I select "use free space" from the installation type options, I'm greeted by a message that indicates that there's not enough free space on the disk. I also cannot choose any other option from the installation type screen that uses the free space and doesn't generate the error message.

I tried to format the free space from CLI but the live user account doesn't "see" my local drive?

Any ideas? I've already sunk HOURS trying to get this install to work. I've installed Fedora on other machines using the technique I used today without issue. I just can't figure out why this one won't take.

Thanks in advance for the help.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Found the Disk Utility, and it too shows that there are four volumes on sda plus the "unallocated space" that is my target volume on the local HDD. 210GB free. Too bad that there isn't an option to format the volume. When the unallocated space is highlighted from within Disk Utility, the only active button available is to format the DRIVE. Don't want that.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Last edited by GCO Moga; 9th November 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 9th November 2011, 10:15 PM
GCO Moga Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F15 will NOT install in free space on HDD

problem resolved

Last edited by GCO Moga; 9th November 2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: removed screen shot
Old 9th November 2011, 10:15 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCO Moga

Found the Disk Utility, and it too shows that there are four volumes on sda plus the "unallocated space" that is my target volume on the local HDD.
That right there sounds like you found the problem. If the hard drive has a traditional master boot record and partition table, and if those existing partitions are primary partitions, then no more partitions can be created no matter how much unallocated space exists. To create more than four partitions in such a situation, one of the primary partitions must be an extended partition in which many more logical partitions can be created. Anyway, this exact thing happens all the time.

P.S.: Another Windows thing that can cause this is dynamic volumes (instead of basic volumes).
Old 9th November 2011, 10:44 PM
GCO Moga Offline

linuxfirefox

Now that I read your words, the four partition issue does sound familiar. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I now have renewed determination to get this install working.

Right on!

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

The problem was resolved by deleting one of the existing partitions, which only held bloatware anyway, then formatting the unused space for linux.

Stoat, thanks for the gentle nudge. Very happy to have linux enabled laptop again.

Tags
f15, free, hdd, install, space