Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th November 2011, 11:22 PM
claybv Offline

windows_7firefox
Question Web server guide and help.

Where do I go to get help for webpage setup?

I want to set My server up for Webserver/Firewall(LAN),FTP.
I usually setup as LAMP server.

I have firewall setup now.... Just need direction for WebServer.
With Drop down menu,or not. several info pages, picture slideshow, and calendar.

Maybe a security login from webpage for private info or edit pages.....But not necessary.

Just looking for direction to what to use.
Then step by step help and instructions on setup.
Old 7th November 2011, 05:28 PM
molossus Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Web server guide and help.

this step by step guide might help you

http://www.labtestproject.com/linux_...fedora_11.html
Old 7th November 2011, 06:04 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

This simple guide is for a more secure apache server than LAMP. And here is another guide to "Setup Your Own Free Self-Hosted Web Server"
Old 8th November 2011, 09:08 AM
katykat Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

What is not clear is whether you want the web server to be used only on a local network, or to handle internet traffic - big difference.

For a simple local network server, especially one for testing web sites locally before going fully online - probably the best solution is the XAMPP for Linux package which will intall to OPT and not mess with the system utilities while providing a fully functioning LOCAL server environment. Some tweaking is needed, so its not total simplicity, butit does default to *local only*.
Old 8th November 2011, 10:35 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat View Post
What is not clear is whether you want the web server to be used only on a local network, or to handle internet traffic - big difference.

For a simple local network server, especially one for testing web sites locally before going fully online - probably the best solution is the XAMPP for Linux package which will intall to OPT and not mess with the system utilities while providing a fully functioning LOCAL server environment. Some tweaking is needed, so its not total simplicity, butit does default to *local only*.
You do know and understand that ports 80 & 443 are both blocked by iptables in Fedora by default? I assume you also know and understand that unless provided with a domain name, the Apache always defaults to localhost only? I'm sure you also know that using default LAMP stack ensures that the environment and SELinux context and policies are correctly set and can easily be controlled with SELinux Policy GUI meaning you do not need any tweaking at all to get it up and running? And last but not least: I'm sure you also know that there is no "messing with system services" at all with default LAMP installation. But you do get the convenience that you can control the server(s) with /sbin service making it easier and simpler to configure their runlevels.

There is no slightest benefit in running XAMPP over default LAMP installation what so ever, quite the opposite.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 9th November 2011, 03:49 AM
katykat Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I have XAMPP/WAMP set up on Fedora\Ubuntu\Linux.

The advantages I see to it are that the system(s) do not boot into a web server setup when I may only be doing websurfing that day, and are not in the background when I am logged in as root to do the frequent maintenance here.

Some tweaking is necessary to make the local web servers available to the other local machines. Localhost must be replaced by the host name in one of the key files.

I also have a local OSCommerce site, which does not like PHP>5.29 so I can have the software in any configuration/version I want and not putz with Perl or some other utils that are critical to the system, such as Perl is with Ubuntu. I also have to change values in php.ini to make it more compatible with my large Mysql database conversion scripts, which would probably be a bit wasteful of memory for normal system routines.

What I do know is that the XAMPP setups configured for Local only connections and set up to be secure by running:
/opt/lampp/lampp security

What I do not know is exactly how secure the XAMPP and Fedora default Web Server setups are for local networks with Windows machines on it.

What I have been unable to find is a good guide for local system security for networks BEHIND a hardware router/NAT firewall, with multiple Linux/Win systems and subnetworks. I already block telnet, and ssh at the router.

Fortunately I have had little grief from SELinux, and most of its problems have solutions offered by Selinux itself (or rather one of its utilities). I run 3 Linux distros here so please forgive if I am not a total expert on Fedora, but I still do consider XAMPP to be an excellent package,since it is so portable across distros. Just copy the OPT/XAMPP/ directory.

I will assume that you do know if XAMPP comes with an adequate package by looking at:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

Please advise.

Tags
guide, server, web