Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th October 2011, 08:05 PM
bart11 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
dhcp host name

where do you set the dhcp host name?
networkmanager does not have a place to add a host name.
i added DHCP_HOSTNAME=xxxx to ifconfig-auto and dns is updated ok but I am not sure if this is the correct way.

under the menu item system... about this computer... shows localhost.localdomain

if this was changed to a computer name would that get passed to dhcp and thus dns updated?

if so what would be the best way to change localhost.localdomain to a different name?

have a good one

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

I answered my own question.
changing the host name will be passed to networkmanager and dhcp.

sorry for the lame post
Old 31st October 2011, 02:23 AM
stevea Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: dhcp host name

That is the correct place for the change for F14 and F15. Prior to that you needed to create a /etc/dhclient.conf file.

HOWEVER you should avoid manually editing those files - there are many ways to screw them up and no error checking.

You can use system-config-network and thill in the "hostname (optional):" field
Or if you prefer you can use NM, right click the icon, selected "edit connections"
In the new window pick a connection from the 'wired' or 'wireless' tabs and select 'edit'.
In the IPv4 and IPv6 tabs of the connection window fill in the "DHCP client ID:" feld and save.

Tags
dhcp, host