Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th October 2011, 04:01 PM
antojoseph007 Offline

windows_7chrome
ODD Problem !

Hi ,

i just installed fc 15 on ma desktop along with windows 7 .

Tried to update flash player for mozilla by copying some file to the mozilla/plugins folder ..

when i restarted my pc.. i can log in .. but no desktop.. i can only c the wall paper.. no icons.. nothing

tried going into a lower run level and made a new user and logged in graphically.. but still de same issue..

please help me out ... and thanks to all in advance !
Old 27th October 2011, 04:55 AM
katykat Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: ODD Problem !

Try renaming that mozilla folder and see if it still happes. If so remove those adobe files.

In Ubuntu's Jaunty those symptoms usually meant that nautilus was acting up.
Reinstall whatever file manager 15 is using. I'm of 14 so can't check.
Old 30th October 2011, 07:00 PM
Gareth Jones Online
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

This is unlikely to have anything to do with Flash or Mozilla. (If it helps though, see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash for the "official" methods of getting Flash working – you should use the package manager wherever possible rather than copying files manually.)

Also don't try reinstalling software on Linux to fix problems. That's a "Windows" solution, and due to software dependencies will likely break things more on Linux. (Seriously people: stop suggesting this "solution"!)

Do you have the top bar across the top of the screen? If not, make sure GNOME is properly installed (I assume you're using GNOME): 'sudo yum update && sudo yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"'. Try again, and if it still doesn't work, check for error messages in the logs. Make sure to choose GNOME in the login screen.

If you have the top bar but no desktop icons, and want them, install and run gnome-tweak-tool, then enable "File Manager"->"Have file manager handle the desktop".

Gareth
Old 31st October 2011, 05:33 AM
katykat Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Reinstalling is a shotgun approach, and may not help when the .conf files not overwriiten are causing the problems.

Sometimes an offending program needs to be totally removed, both from the applications manager *and* manually, along with configuration files before an update can take.

But unless specific information is available, such as the exact cause of a typical malfunction, then often a reinstall is the only *practical* approach.

Yum is fortunately pretty darn good with dependencies (comapred to Synaptic) .
But updates *can* break things.....

I usually archive all my old packages, just in case.

The good news is the fix for updates is usually pretty quick.

But not always.
Old 26th January 2012, 08:44 PM
antojoseph007 Offline

windows_7chrome

Thanks gys.. THe only thing i could get was a wall paper when i logged into GNOME.. so i went to a lower run level.. and installed kde.. at bootup i could select kde..so now i have a quick solution.. my GNOME is still having only that wall paper wn i log in. no Menus .. anyways.. i think i will re -install gnom manually
Old 26th January 2012, 09:21 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox

Hello antojoseph007 and welcome to Fedora Forum. In future posts please keep the following rules in mind.

Quote:
General

Be polite. This is a user forum and we all do this as a hobby, in our free time. Please and thank you can get you a long way.

Try to make understanding as easy as possible. We're an international forum with users from all over the world and not all of us are fluent in English. Write in as proper English as you are capable of. Honest mistakes are fine, we all make them.

Remember:
Write in English.
Add whitespace to your posts. Use enter for paragraphs.
Capitalize Correctly. All uppercase is considered screaming and very rude. All lower is hard to read.
Use correct punctuation. Never use more than one question mark or exclamation mark and only at the end of a sentence.
Never use "texting abbreviations", "leet-speak" or slang. The purpose of language is being understood, not sounding cool.
Never invent acronyms, use as few acronyms as possible. It's called a problem, not a "pb" and a question, not a "Q".
Never use colors in all of your posts. Colors are there to highlight something important.
Read your post over before posting it. Try to catch typos. If you find an error after posting, use the Edit button to make your corrections.
Don't "bump" your post by adding a second post with no worthwhile content. The Forum controls will automatically add any additional post as an 'edit' of your first post within the first 24 hours. If you haven't received a response in over 24 hours, consider following up with the efforts you've tried in the meantime and their result. Naturally, if you forgot to add important information, an edit of your first post is acceptable.
Thank you

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Tags
odd, problem