Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2012, 11:36 PM
movieguy25 Offline

linuxfirefox
Opening .exe download

Hello. Just downloaded Fedora 16 and want to run DATA RECOVERY app. When trying to open download, get error message about Archive Manager not recognizing app. Is there another tool to open app?

Thanks!
Old 18th February 2012, 11:54 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Opening .exe download

As far as I know, *.exe files are executable files that cannot be opened. Also, *.exe files usually work on windows and are useless in Linux outside some emulators.
Old 19th February 2012, 01:05 AM
jswmcw Offline

*.exe files are intended to be executed in a Windows environment. I would highly recommend trying to find a Linux alternative for the program you're trying to use. You can also check to see how your program works with Wine at http://appdb.winehq.org/.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
"Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit." -- Linus Torvalds, 2004.

Tags
download, exe, opening