Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2011, 05:43 PM
achyuthreddy58 Offline

windows_7ie
does my system support federo 15 desktop edition

hello world,
here's my pc configuration tell me whether it supports my hardware and runs with full performance
amd x2 555 black edition 3.20ghz
4 gb ram
gigabyte mb (m68mt-s2p) rev 3.1
bios version :fb
graphics inbuilt with moyherboard :nvidia nforce 7025/gforce630a
and 500gb wd cavier hdd
and if this configuration is ok then tell me how to make partions of my hard drive while installing now i am using windows 7 home edition and i do not have any partions in this but i want to make partions there
please help me out this i am real thirst of using linux..

Last edited by achyuthreddy58; 16th October 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 15th October 2011, 07:20 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera
Re: does my system support federo 15 desktop edition

Apart from your NVIDIA graphiccard everything of these hardware is probably supported very well out-of-the-box. For you graphiccard you will need NVIDIAs proprietary drivers, otherwise the 2D and 3D acceleration will be pretty bad. You can follow this guide here to install it (after you completed your Fedora 15 installation).

I recommend that you save your more important data on external media first before you install Linux. It's usually not necessary, but nevertheless safer. And it makes of course always sense to have your important data on more than one storage medium stored, even if you only used windows.

In case if you don't have unpartitioned space on your harddisk, you will have to resize or remove partitions. There are Windows programs where you can resize partitions, but you can also do this during Linux installation. I don't know any of such windows programs.

During linux installation you can choose to automatically create linux partitions, and if necessary to resize existing partitions. I personally prefer to make manual partitions setups, because I want a setup without LVM. Fedoras installer uses LVM setup by default. This has in few cases advantages, but it can sometimes make things a bit more complicated for example if you want to use more than one linux on your system. I really don't have much experience with LVM setups, maybe I exaggerate.

In case if you want to try a manual partition setup (automatical setup is easier):
  • choose the appropriate option in the Fedora installer (manual partition setup)
  • your Linux partitions should be after your Windows partitions
  • resize existing partitions if necessary and make sure that there is enough free space on them
  • create a partition with mountpoint "/" and ext4 type, size 9 GB or more
  • create a swap type partition 2 GB or a bit more (without mountpoint)
  • use the rest of the free space for your home partition (mountpoint "/home"), there is all your user data (documents, media etc.) stored (partition type for example ext4)
  • you can only have up to 4 primary partitions on one harddisk, your fourth should be a an extended partition, which can contain up to 8 logical partitions (if you need more than 4 partition)

Last edited by Fenrin; 15th October 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:48 AM
achyuthreddy58 Offline

windows_7ie

Thank you for your support ,but the link which you have shown does not contain nforce 7025/geforce 630a driver ...where to find it & also suggest me a linux version os which is good in graphics and supports my pc configuration (i want to try fedora 15 i386 and downloadind it from http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ in Fedora-15-i386-DVD.torrent)

Last edited by achyuthreddy58; 16th October 2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 16th October 2011, 04:47 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

the link he gave you was to a forum thread in these forums that show you exactly how to install the nvidia drivers from the rpmfusion repository.

That is the best way to install the nvidia drivers, in my opinion, and Leigh123linux has put a lot of time and effort into helping people here to get them installed over the years. (I would select the akmod option myself, it's the better option in my opinion)
Old 16th October 2011, 06:49 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox

Use the default video driver unless you are needing demanding 3d support. Simple is better.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.

Tags
desktop, edition, federo, support