FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    alphonce Guest

    Lightbulb [Howto] Install native spotify on fedora f15

    Since spotify dropped the rpm support for spotify and the latest spotify (0.6) fails to start om my computer with wine, yes I disabled the facebook account, I found a way to install the native deb packages.

    Either download the converted files from here: spotify 32-bit or spotify 64-bit

    Or convert them yourself with this guidance.
    First, download the latest client found at http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/ 32- or 64-bit version. (I used the 64-bit version and havent testet doing it with 32 bit, but will probably work the same way)

    Then you need a program called alien to convert the deb package to an rpm package.
    You’ll need git, if you dont have it start a terminal and install it with:

    Code:
    $ sudo yum install git
    Fire up your terminal of choice and enter a directory where you want the source file for alien then run:

    Code:
    $ git clone git://git.kitenet.net/alien
    $ cd alien
    $ su -c 'perl Makefile.PL; make; make install'
    You’ll need Perl for this, if it isn’t installed run:

    Code:
    $ sudo yum install perl
    To convert the deb file(s) run alien.

    Code:
    $ su -c 'alien --to-rpm spotify-client-qt_0.6.1.*.deb'
    Now you should have a freshly baked rpm, install it with:

    Code:
    $ sudo rpm -Uvh spotify-client-qt_0.6.1.*.rpm
    If you get an error saying that libQtWebKit.so.4 is needed, install it with:

    Code:
    $ sudo yum install qt-webkit
    If you’re running fedora f15 you’ll probably get an error saying that libcrypto.so.0.9.8 and libssl.so.0.9.8 is needed, then install spotify with –nodeps

    Code:
    $ sudo rpm -Uvh --nodeps spotify-client-qt_0.6.1.*.rpm
    But wait a minute! Aren’t these libraries needed? Well yes of course but if running fedora f15, you’ll probably using version 1.0.0 and it’s not that much difference between 0.9.8 and 1.0.0 (correct me if I’m wrong). So we’ll just make links so that spotify thinks it’s using the 0.9.8 version.

    For 64-bit:
    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
    For 32-bit:
    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
    (not tested but should be the same)

    Then just try to start spotify with by shell, alt+f2 or desktop.

    If you get any errors, google it first or try to solve them yourself. If it doesn’t work make a comment here and I will try to help.

    Good Luck
    Last edited by alphonce; 28th September 2011 at 03:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Excellent guide!

    The libraries in my lib64 directory were different, so I had to do:

    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0e /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcryptopp.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    It crashes every time a shut it down, but I can live with that. Other than that it works really well, thanks a lot!

    =)

  3. #3
    alphonce Guest

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Quote Originally Posted by mattc
    Excellent guide!

    The libraries in my lib64 directory were different, so I had to do:

    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0e /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
    Code:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcryptopp.so.6.0.0 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    It crashes every time a shut it down, but I can live with that. Other than that it works really well, thanks a lot!

    =)
    libcryptopp.so isn't the same library as libcrypto.so so no wonder you're spotify crashes.

    if you've haven't got libcrypto.so try reinstalling openssl
    Code:
    sudo yum reinstall openssl
    /josef

    ---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

    upgraded my system to f16 and discovered that the libcrypto.so is missing from /urs/lib64 but they've been moved to /lib64 so you should relink you library
    Code:
    sudo ln -si /lib64/libcrypto.so.10 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    voila

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Quote Originally Posted by alphonce
    libcryptopp.so isn't the same library as libcrypto.so so no wonder you're spotify crashes.

    if you've haven't got libcrypto.so try reinstalling openssl
    Code:
    sudo yum reinstall openssl
    /josef

    ---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

    upgraded my system to f16 and discovered that the libcrypto.so is missing from /urs/lib64 but they've been moved to /lib64 so you should relink you library
    Code:
    sudo ln -si /lib64/libcrypto.so.10 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    voila
    Thanks for the advice, I reinstalled openssl and updated my symbolic links, however spotify still crashes when I shut down. Console output from running spotify from a terminal:

    Code:
    spotify: /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by spotify)
    spotify: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by spotify)
    18:34:33.781 I [breakpad.cpp:36] Registered Breakpad for product: spotify
    
    18:34:33.782 I [translate.cpp:121] Reloading all languages
    18:34:33.782 I [fsevents:413] starting polling thread
    18:34:33.806 I [breakpad.cpp:94] Searching for crashdumps: /home/computer/.cache/spotify/*.dmp
    
    18:34:34.227 I [ap:1751] Connecting to AP B6.spotify.com:4070
    QDBusArgument: write from a read-only object
    18:34:34.376 I [offline-mgr:2142] Storage has been cleaned
    18:34:34.401 I [ap:1209] Connected to AP: 78.31.8.83:4070
    18:34:34.782 I [gui-model:2472] Login Code: 0
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize succeeded
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize succeeded
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize succeeded
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize
    ** (<unknown>:2331): DEBUG: NP_Initialize succeeded
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    
    (npviewer.bin:2360): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
    *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: failed to initialize brower-side RPC events listener
    18:34:40.739 I [sound_driver_linux.cpp:16] Using PulseAudio
    18:34:45.184 I [offline-mgr:2089] 0 files are locked. 0 images are locked
    18:34:45.184 I [offline-mgr:2115] 0 files unlocked. 0 images unlocked
    18:34:45.185 I [offline-mgr:2124] Removed 0 local files
    *** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: rpc_end_sync called when not in sync!
    and when I shut down:

    Code:
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    Which I remember from computer science class as being the C error message for SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG.

    I also have a problem where the sound stops working with either flash player or spotify when I both run at the same time.

    Anyone else get the same problem? Maybe we can form a Spotify RPM repo pressure group.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Fedora 16

    Running through your directions, I needed to yum install perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker and rpm-build. Also, symlinking the libraries did not work for me this with Fedora 16 like it did with 15. I grabbed a couple of copies of the older libraries and just put them out where they needed to be to fix it.

    It still complains about being an unsupported platform with a popup. But it works great. Hopefully that popup sends a message back to them that not all Linux users are Debian users.
    Last edited by meltingrobot; 6th October 2011 at 02:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Something new that has been happening for me. First time running Spotify works perfectly fine, but after closing it and re-opening it, it crashes every time you try to start it. Not sure why this started happening, but I found a workaround by removing the spotify folder in the .cache directory in my home directory.

    I ended up working around this by doing the following:

    sudo mv /usr/bin/spotify /usr/bin/spottify
    sudo gedit /usr/bin/spotify
    and then paste the following into the new file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /bin/rm -rf ~/.cache/spotify
    /usr/bin/spottify
    Then save and it should clear the cache anytime you run it.
    Last edited by meltingrobot; 10th October 2011 at 04:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    @meltingrobot

    Your workaround seem to work, Just would like to add that you'll have to make the new /usr/bin/spotify-file executable
    Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    -- Homer Simpson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Yeah, I forgot to add that in this thread. I really wish the Spotify people would release either a tar.gz package or an RPM (or both). I voted on their getsatisfaction page to get the Fedora RPM brought back. Below is the link if anybody else wants to vote also.

    http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/t...fedora_package

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    Streamlined instructions for a fresh Fedora 16 install and posted them into my blog.

    http://meltingrobot.wordpress.com/20...-on-fedora-16/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Re: [Howto] Install linux spotify on fedora f15

    This worked like a charm for me. I have an interesting situation in that I have a Fedora 17 laptop and an F17 desktop, both x86_64, both i7 CPUs.

    Spotify under WINE pegs the CPU (and raises the CPU temp) on the laptop but not on the desktop. Linux Native Spotify on the laptop is well mannered and well behaved.

    Not sure why this laptop/desktop difference (BIOS settings maybe?) but with native linux spotify it's a non-problem.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Spotify Linux client losing connection - firewall issue?
    By johnthelutheran in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th July 2011, 12:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th October 2008, 11:03 PM
  3. Howto install internet explorer 6 in linux
    By leigh123linux in forum Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 14th December 2006, 12:11 AM
  4. This is a tutorial (HOWTO) on how you can install your skystar2 in linux
    By the_one2003a in forum Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26th December 2005, 06:21 AM
  5. Howto install WINDOWS on Linux?
    By wprauchholz in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th December 2004, 12:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •