Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th September 2011, 07:58 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Fedora 16 Beta RC2 now up for validation testing

Yup, Beta RC2 is up. It's been a huge slog getting this thing out, we really hope it works.

The fixes for https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=738964 got fairly, ahem, minor testing, so we would be very interested in results from installing to slightly complex disk configs (multiple disks, USB sticks, alongside existing Fedora installs, whatever) and also installs from both live and DVD images written to USB sticks (but *not* with unetbootin, for pity's sake, please).

The main purpose of these candidate builds is to complete the validation testing we require in order to approve the actual Beta release; I know it's fun just grabbing a Shiny New Thing and playing with it, but if you could spend a few minutes to look at the validation tests and maybe contribute a few results, that'd really help. There are three sets of validation tests - installation, base, and desktop. Each page has a bit of info, download links, and the test matrix, where you can find the test cases and report your results (you don't need a Fedora account to edit these pages, note).

Or if you really just want to poke the Shiny New Thing, you can do so here. Just don't come crying to me if it's broken. Remember - it's a release candidate of a beta.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 24th September 2011, 10:00 AM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 16 Beta RC2 now up for validation testing

NetInstalls/Beta/rc2/64bit
Same errors as in rc1.
Didnt boot (well, after installation, it was only looking for dhcp at boot, then gave up, which it did in rc1 as well)

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Live-lxde-64bit:
Quote:
[liveuser@localhost ~]$ /usr/bin/liveinst

udevadm settle - timeout of 120 seconds reached, the event queue contains:
/sys/module/snd_hda_codec_hdmi (2166)

udevadm settle - timeout of 300 seconds reached, the event queue contains:
/sys/module/snd_hda_codec_hdmi (2166)

//> consolehelper-g / rss:5mb / vm/size:214mb
Going to wait 5 minutes more, if installer havnt started until then, reboot and trz enforce=0

Last edited by sea; 24th September 2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:11 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

i kinda thought the rule was to stick to one thread? Adam can do it but i cant?
it really makes things difficult keeping up with thread(s) if you keep posting a new thread on the same topic.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

sorry Adam but i think you understand... if someone did it on the Test list or devel list you'd get annoyed.

Last edited by tox; 24th September 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:46 AM
jeffrey Offline

linuxfirefox

I am running RC1. The question I have is would RC2 be the same as updated RC1? I used f15 to download f16-RC1 and had done a usb-stick install. Install went well last night and rebooted this morning. Did some updates today on RC1, so do I have a system as good as RC2?
Old 24th September 2011, 11:18 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
I am running RC1. The question I have is would RC2 be the same as updated RC1? I used f15 to download f16-RC1 and had done a usb-stick install. Install went well last night and rebooted this morning. Did some updates today on RC1, so do I have a system as good as RC2?
RC2 has a updated Anaconda and a few other packages, apart from that its the same as RC1 . if your not experiencing any real major problems, you wont need to reinstall with a fresh clean RC2. just keep updating
Old 24th September 2011, 02:31 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

yes and no.
The updates are the same, in the end.
This thread however, is about the testing of installing rc2.

Speaking of that:
still trying with live lxde beta rc2.
run 1) very long boot time (~3min), see above
run 2) enforce=0, normal boot time, grub2 to sda, no boot
run 3) enforce=1 , normal boot time, grub2 to sda2 (/boot), no boot
run 4) enforce=0, no lvm, bootloader to sda, no boot
run 5) enforce=0, no lvm, bootloader to sda2, no boot
run 6) fatal error, bugzilla sent, existed
run 7) custom layout, no lvm, bootloader to sda, no boot
run 8) custom layout, with lvm, bootloader to sda, no boot
run 9) custom layout, no lvm, bootloader to sda2, no boot
run 10) custom layout, with lvm, bootloader to sda2, no boot

Further, the reboot after 'successfull' installation, no "run x)" rebooted successfull, i had to power down the laptop.
Further, i still have had the same options where to install bootloader as in previously rawhide editions of verne. (sda, sda2, nothing else)

Conclusion: i dont see any advantage, i had best installation result with nightly 20110919, and that was NEWER than beta-rc1 (15. sept)

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Guess RC2 is not ready yet, please see me problem in other thread, as i dont want to mess this one up.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...06#post1514306

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

After that boot issue got fixed (ty Dan), i've reinstalled F16 beta-rc2-live-lxde without problems onto /dev/sda, without a 1 mb bios boot partition.

Last edited by sea; 24th September 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 24th September 2011, 04:52 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

it's kinda hard to diagnose issues with netinst as you could get quite a lot of different package sets from it. best to stick to the images.

if you hit the udevadm settle timeout, the installer will never start up: the workaround is simply to reboot until you don't hit it. As of now we're not aware of anyone who hits it more than once in every two boots or so on average; if you're hitting it every boot, or nearly every boot, please let us know in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=735866 . thanks.
Old 24th September 2011, 04:53 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

detox: right, as sea said, RC2 is kind of a different topic from RC1. the problem with keeping them in the same thread is it might get confusing who's talking about which, and the difference is significant to me at least =) But maybe for Final we could try just one thread.
Old 24th September 2011, 05:47 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

Ehm Adam, there's always a 'default' settings, which i used through all the tests, i didnt change the packages at all.
Thus, guess it would have installed gnome with the net install, however, the 10 tests were with lxde live media.
Old 24th September 2011, 07:35 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

sea: they will have different versions in the repos vs. what's on the media - particularly if you enable updates-testing. the media are composed from the f16 'stable' repo plus a side repo of packages we need but which didn't make it through to the stable repo yet. so if you do a net install with just the stable repo, until a few days after the image goes out, you'll be a little bit behind the image; if you do a net install with the updates-testing repo enabled, you'll be way ahead of the image, and may run into dep issues that aren't on the image package set.
Old 24th September 2011, 08:36 PM
sea Online

linuxfirefox

Oh ok. Wasnt aware of this diffrences.
Well, as previously stated, as soon my MBR was properly reset thanks to Boot n' Nuke (again, ty Dan!), F16 beta rc2 (lxde spin) introducing anaconda 16.19 worked as smooth as...
Great work done there
Old 25th September 2011, 12:19 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

Adam

what are the chances that this Beta RC2 will be the official Beta when released on the 4th?

more about that Telepathy-mission-control crashes i have

1 ) download a LiveCD
2 ) boot into LiveCD session only
3 ) make a irc account
4 ) join 1 channel
5 ) then try and join another channel by typing in /j #fedora-devel or fedora-qa
6 ) t-m-c should crash

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

as soon as i get my New PC this week i'll need to test F16 on it

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Note : i had 2 accounts, 1 being Facebook and the other being IRC
Old 25th September 2011, 06:17 PM
Boricua Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, it's good to be finally back . Grub and Anaconda issues seems to be solved. This release candidate looks reasonably smooth. So far, these are my mayor concerns:
1) when booting, my encrypted system asks for its password twice, once at the beginning (the expected one), and again halfway into boot process. Plymouth sends no signals regarding this second request for password, being discovered only after hitting the escape key.
2) no printing service running by default, so no way to add new printers - this is probably the most annoying of the current crop of bugs, at least for me.
3) frequent, but so far harmless, gnome-shell crashes. I call them harmless since the system recovers immediately and you can use it.
4) a dammed pygobject3 dependency preventing me from updating all the gnome-shell desktop.
5) finally, some issue preventing nouveau from detecting my viewsonic monitor digital signal. Strange thing is that the first alpha did indeed detect the signal and later updates, including this RC2, are forcing me to use analogue instead.
That would be it. Otherwise, things look good from here. Any hints as to how to solve these issues are welcome.

Edit: to be more precise regarding the pygobject3 issue I'm having, here's yum's output:
Code:
ERROR: Error in yum Transaction : Test Transaction Errors:   file /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/__init__.py from install of pygobject3-2.90.4-1.fc16.x86_64 conflicts with file from package pygobject2-2.28.6-1.fc16.x86_64

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Ok, issue #4 is solved, by installing a pygobject2 update available via yum that, oddly, yum fails to pick up as a dependency. I'm now running a fully updated RC2 beta machine.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

It also seems that gnome-shell got much more stable after installing all the updates previously blocked.

Last edited by Boricua; 25th September 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 26th September 2011, 01:19 AM
bennachie Offline

linuxfirefox

RC2 seems to have installed smoothly on my plain vanilla desktop (Intel celeron dual-core with integrated graphics), and all normal functions are working as expected. I'll poke around a bit to see if I can unearth any bugs, or replicate any of those referenced above.
Old 26th September 2011, 03:12 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

francisco: "2) no printing service running by default, so no way to add new printers - this is probably the most annoying of the current crop of bugs, at least for me."

I believe s-c-p is supposed to cause the cups service to fire up when you actually try and add a printer. Does this not work?

5 - need more data, X logs at least.

detox: "what are the chances that this Beta RC2 will be the official Beta when released on the 4th?" - well, that's what we do the testing for. =) so far I don't see any real showstopper bugs in it, so chances quite high, but we haven't completed the testing. the issue you're seeing with telepathy is not a beta blocking bug, but it might block final.

Tags
beta, fedora, rc2, testing, validation