Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 20th September 2011, 04:10 PM
geion Offline

linuxfirefox
Firewall - iptables inconsitency

Fedora 15 both gnome-3 and KDE. After i generate a set of rules with the iptables and do an iptables -S i can see them. If i modify the rules generated with the firewall with iptables and to iptable-S i can see the modification is there. If i further do iptables-save > /etc/sysconfi/iptables, and iptables-restore /etc/sysconfig/iptables, at reboot when i check with iptables -S, the modification is still there and is persistent. But if i go in the firewall and do any modification and click the apply button, the modification made and saved with iptables disappear if i check with iptables -S but it's still in etc/sysconfi/iptables. If i do iptables-restore i will load it again etc.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:51 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Firewall - iptables inconsitency

Try using
Code:
/etc/init.d/iptables save
Otherwise you are using 2 different tools to manage your rules, iptables via the command line and the graphical tool (system-config-firewall).
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:21 AM
geion Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
Try using
Code:
/etc/init.d/iptables save
Otherwise you are using 2 different tools to manage your rules, iptables via the command line and the graphical tool (system-config-firewall).
LOL they're not two different tools, system-config-firewall is just a wrapper around iptables...
Old 24th September 2011, 04:34 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by geion View Post
LOL they're not two different tools, system-config-firewall is just a wrapper around iptables...
System-config-firewall isn't able to load custom configurations, (changes made outside system-config-firewall). Best to do it one way or the other.
Mike
Old 24th September 2011, 06:47 PM
geion Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes i know but it has that option, lost some days until i found out it's not working

Tags
firewall, inconsitency, iptables