Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th November 2004, 03:24 AM
Phishhead Offline

Smile Burned ISO's

Just thought I would let everyone know how I screwed up. This might be common knowledge to most but it might helpl some other newbie like me. I kept having problems with my burned ISO's failing the test, and therfore failing during installation. I reburnde all of my cd's again and still had problems. I reburned all of my cd's again at a slow speed (4x) instead of (32x) and that solved my problems.

Patience. Patience. Patience.
Old 15th November 2004, 03:27 AM
GreyGeek Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishhead
Just thought I would let everyone know how I screwed up. This might be common knowledge to most but it might helpl some other newbie like me. I kept having problems with my burned ISO's failing the test, and therfore failing during installation. I reburnde all of my cd's again and still had problems. I reburned all of my cd's again at a slow speed (4x) instead of (32x) and that solved my problems.

Patience. Patience. Patience.
Were the CDs rated at 32X?
Using CDs rated at 32X I've had no problems burning them at 16X..
Old 15th November 2004, 03:55 AM
Phishhead Offline

You are correct. I never noticed that they were rated 1x - 4x. I never purchase cd's like that. My wife just happen to buy those.

Thanks.

Another lesson learned.
Old 15th November 2004, 05:21 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

Keep in mind also that the really cheap-o's may say they're rated at high-speed, but if they're that good, why are they priced at 10 cents apiece instead of, say 15-25 cents?
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 15th November 2004, 05:37 AM
imdeemvp Offline

I always recommend burning your iso's at no more than 16x which what I did this week. Most people run into boot problems due to fast burning.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 15th November 2004, 10:09 PM
Jman Offline

It probably is a good idea to check cheap CD-Rs with the media check function.
Old 15th November 2004, 10:45 PM
joeuser Offline

I think I need to continue this thread: I just burned CD2 - 4 for the 3rd time on different recorders. I always the the media check result as "Failed". The MD5SUM from the downloaded file is always correct. I also downloaded from different servers. I did the media check in different drives. Always the same result: CD1 passes, 2 - 4 failed. Any ideas on this? I am really out of ideas now.....
Old 16th November 2004, 02:06 AM
arpi Offline

it happened to me too.

all i can say is that i had no problem burning FC1 or any other distro (same batch of CDs), so why do i have a problem burning FC3 isos?

my checksums are ok. but when i do the media test it waits till the last second and them it stops for 2 minutes before telling me that it has failed. anyway i installed FC3 without probs even when it failed the media test. i just could not believe it kept failing after burning them a couple of times.

mine kept failing for disk 2 and 3.

BTW i use the cdrecord in FC1

afterthought: maybe the media check is too sensitive in FC3

Last edited by arpi; 16th November 2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 16th November 2004, 03:42 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

If this helps any - I burned the ISOs with K3B on FC2 (2.6.6 kernel) and upraded the system using them. The wife's FC1 computer would only read the first disk - which was a "name-brand" disk. I re-burned on the cheapies on FC3 with K3B at 4x speed. And her CD-ROM simply wouldn't read it. The other "interesting" fact is that her CDROM is ancient (36x).

The Post-Note is since I could use Disk 1, I did a hard-drive install and she's now up on FC3. And it still won't read the CDs.

I think in my case, the issue is hardware and CD-quality related. Some of these others are making me wonder if there's something funky in the ISOs themsevles...
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 16th November 2004, 07:22 AM
mnotgninnep Offline

I downloaded all my images bar one from a particular mirror and gave up so I downloaded them from a different mirror and then all was fine, I think some mirrors have been corrupted in transfer.
Old 16th November 2004, 12:04 PM
joeuser Offline

That's what i guessed aswell, that the mirros files are corrupt. The strange thing is, that the md5sum is equal to the published ones from Redhat. How could this be?

(I used the CD from the Switzerland mirror, sunsite)

I will try to download the CD's from the torrent and test it.
Old 16th November 2004, 12:37 PM
ronbanks Offline

Burned with cdrecord -pad option offered partial success

I guess I've probably made more coasters than most but I have tried 3 different mirrors and have recorded at 12x and then at 4x speed. The results were always the same. All discs would chechsum ok but with disc 1 passing and the rest failing. I googled and found where some success was had with adding the -pad option with the cdrecord command. I tried disc 4 and it now passed the mediacheck and I thought I had figured it out so I burned the remaining discs with the -pad option but they failed and joined the coaster club. I also saw where FC3 was successfully intalled with discs that had failed the mediacheck so I intalled FC3 on a 2nd HD successfully using this last batch of cdrecorded discs. The install as far as I can tell went fine but I am no longer able to access my FC2 OS. There are some GRUB issues that I'm still dealing with and have posted here.
Old 16th November 2004, 01:21 PM
Pegasus Offline

Never have had such problems...
- I've downloaded the iso's via ftp from university of cologne (Disc 1 up to Disk 4 and RescueCD)
- Using the Lite ON 4081B DVD/CD-RW with maximum speed ( 52x ) - rightclicking iso file in gnome-nautilus and select "burn to cd"
- silver/silver Media: 20 cents/Media

Also i didn't made the MD5SUM test nor any mediacheck. Installed without any problems.
It seems to be that i'm the lucky one...
Intel Pentium II 400 Mhz - 256 MB Ram, MS6151 Mainboard with ESS 1371 Onboard Sound, Ati Radeon 9200se AGP, Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI Controller, SCSI Zip Drive 100 internal, HP Scanjet 4C SCSI, RealTek PCI Ethernet Card (for DSL connection), PM = 10GB HDD, PS = LG GSA4081B, SM = 4 GB HDD (vfat), SS = LiteOn 40x CD-Rom
------------
RH9 -> Success, Suse 8.2/9/9.1 -> Failed, MDK9 -> Failed, FC2 -> Failed, MDK10 -> Success, FC3 -> Success
Old 16th November 2004, 02:01 PM
stanmc Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers
If this helps any - I burned the ISOs with K3B on FC2 (2.6.6 kernel) and upraded the system using them.
I had to burn mine on gnometoaster because I can't find where to tell K3B that I want it to burn the iso so it is bootable. I recently used K3B to burn a Knoppix iso and it was simply a copy of the file and not bootable. Anybody know what I should "click" on?

As for the failures of the CD's for FC3, discs 2 and 3 were failures as well as the resuce CD. I used my Windows computer to download the DVD.iso and burnt it using Roxio so that I could upgrade my Linux computer.
Old 22nd November 2004, 08:45 PM
RJ45 Offline

Smile Iso Cd Burn Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuser
I think I need to continue this thread: I just burned CD2 - 4 for the 3rd time on different recorders. I always the the media check result as "Failed". The MD5SUM from the downloaded file is always correct. I also downloaded from different servers. I did the media check in different drives. Always the same result: CD1 passes, 2 - 4 failed. Any ideas on this? I am really out of ideas now.....
Same exact thing happened to me - drove me crazy for a while, since ISO Disk 1 always burned correctly (passed mediacheck), but Disks 2-4 always failed the mediacheck. All ISO files have correct MD5SUMs

After wasting about 20 disks trying various options, I found the answer. Always use -dao instead of the default -tao for cdrecord.

So I have consistent ISO burn success with:

cdrecord -v -dao dev=ATAPI:x,x,x speed=x -data file.iso

Adjust ATAPI and speed parameters for your hardware setup.

hope this helps,
-RJ

Tags
burned, iso