Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th September 2011, 07:56 PM
CptnClaw Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora alongside Ubuntu and WinXP

Hi

I'm an Ubuntu user and I'm disappointed with Unity so I want to try Fedora 15 with GNOME3.
Currently I'm dual-booting Ubutnu and Windows XP with grub.
I want to install Fedora alongside those OSs.
Before I begin, do I need to do anything to make sure grub doesn't get override by the Fedora installation? If it will, I have no idea how to fix it, so I hope it won't get to that.

Thanks!

btw, would you recommend the 32 or 64 bit version? I'm using Ubuntu 64 bit and it's working fine.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:59 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora alongside Ubuntu and WinXP

If you don't want grub overwritten choose to install Fedora's grub to the boot partition instead of the MBR. Later, you can add Fedora to Ubuntu's boot loader. The 64Bit version works just fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 5th September 2011, 09:08 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora alongside Ubuntu and WinXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
If you don't want grub overwritten choose to install Fedora's grub to the boot partition instead of the MBR. Later, you can add Fedora to Ubuntu's boot loader. The 64Bit version works just fine.
Anaconda is the most advanced installer ...
Just install the bootloader in the boot (or /) partition.
Then, from Ubuntu, sudo update-grub and it will find the F15 installation.
Take note that if you install F15 with LVM support you must install the lvm2 package in Ubuntu for it to recognize F15 ...

Tags
alongside, fedora, ubuntu, winxp