Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th August 2011, 11:25 AM
MontyMan Offline

windows_7ie
Unhappy PDF Editing, fail!

I searched the Internet for software that is compatible with Linux and is capable of editing PDF documents. This is not counting anything that doesn't allow PDF as both an input and output. Also not counting anything that imports a PDF into some sort of image file, whereupon it loses all track of textual content. Found a grand total of one product, PDF Edit.

Installed PDF Edit. Easy. Tried just using it without reading instructions. Not intuitive. Googled and followed the instructions to edit my document. Not happening. Says my document is read only which it's not. Says it's linearized. Maybe so, but Acrobat never complained. Researched some more. Must de-linearize. Did that. Now technically I can edit the text content fields of the document but when I try that, the changes don't appear on the screen. All I really want is to place some annotation text boxes in my document, type information into them so it looks right on the screen, save and print it. Gave up on PDF Edit.

Also attempted Acrobat 8, Acrobat 9, Nuance PDF Converter 4, and PDFill PDF Editor, in Wine, each attempt a similar nightmare.

Will some kind soul suggest something, or show me the error of my ways? I really like Fedora and it seems a shame to scurry back to XP for this minor task.

Thanks for reading
....Monty.
Old 27th August 2011, 12:35 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome
Re: PDF Editing, fail!

Pdf Editing is pretty good in Inkscape these days
Old 27th August 2011, 01:56 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

http://www.labnol.org/software/edit-pdf-files/10870/

is written mostly for Windows, but apparently openoffice draw can do it.

(Untested by me)

I did a bit of additional googling afterwards, some people, at least, seem rather impressed with it.

Ok, I just tried it (in ArchLinux, which was all I had around with LibreOffice).

Install libreoffice-draw, then the import pdf extension. Once you do that, you can open the pdf, edit it, seemingly like a text file, then export as pdf. (You may have to save it as an odg before you can export it.)

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not a graphics person, and don't know what your needs are, so I'm not making a guarantee.

Last edited by smr54; 27th August 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:34 PM
MontyMan Offline

windows_7ie

Thanks SMR and Elbow! I can't wait to get back to the office and try your ideas.

Best
...M.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:42 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

I've been playing with this libreoffice plugin today. I haven't been able to get it to work with pdfs that were scanned in, but just about every other one worked.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 27th August 2011, 11:22 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Do any of these options allow one to save the text portion as editable text while maintaining the format? I know I can open a PDF document (not image) and select the text, then save it as text. The problem is that it will indeed be a text file. All indents are now spaces, not tabs or indents. It can be edited, but it requires a lot of work to format it so that it appears properly.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 6th December 2011, 11:34 AM
Marky Mark Offline

linuxfirefox

PDF Edit which works well on Ubuntu can be used on Fedora - you just need to find an RPM.

Try this link http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...?query=pdfedit

I use this in combination with PDF Shuffler.

Cheers

Tags
editing, fail, pdf