Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th August 2011, 07:28 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Installing Fedora 12 and Fedora 14 on the same disk

Hi,

I created 3 primary paritions using GParted Live CD and kept each one of them for Fedora 12, Fedora 14 and swap respectively.

I first installed Fedora 12 to sda1 and Fedora 14 to sda2. Both booted well with no problems.

Then I reversed the order. I first installed Fedora 14 to sda1 and Fedora 12 to sda2. The system won't boot Fedora 14. Only Fedora 12 will boot.

Code:
Error- completely broken BIOS detected, last attempt with drive = EF.
Then I tried again by installing Fedora 14 to MBR and Fedora 12 to sda2, but still the same error as mentioned above.

What do you think is the problem here? Grub version 0.97 is there with Fedora 12, I remember. Do you think Grub is causing problems? Despite installing them on two completely different paritions, what could go wrong?

Thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 19th August 2011, 11:39 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Installing Fedora 12 and Fedora 14 on the same disk

Please help me out thanks....

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 19th August 2011, 03:27 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't know a thing for you to do. Sorry. But here are some things I wondered about. Maybe the answers will help somebody who does know something. Maybe not...

Are there other hard drives connected and running?
Has the hard drive being discussed been used in a RAID array in the past?
For the three scenarios described, which one's GRUB was in the MBR for each scenario? It's not clear to me.
What did you choose to do with the GRUB of the one not installed in the MBR for each scenario?
How big is this hard drive and the partitions?
Old 20th August 2011, 12:09 AM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfirefox

it might have something to do with grub
the format for the boot sector changed

12 will not be able to use 14
14's can use 12 or 13

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 20th August 2011, 01:43 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Are there other hard drives connected and running?
There is only one hard drive.

Quote:
Has the hard drive being discussed been used in a RAID array in the past?
Never. I am a home user.

Quote:
For the three scenarios described, which one's GRUB was in the MBR for each scenario? It's not clear to me.
The very first time around, Fedora 12's grub was installed to sda1 and Fedora 14's grub was installed to sda2. This worked. No problems. Both distros booted well. So I am now telling you about the second and third scenario below.

2nd scenario, Fedora 14's grub installed to sda1 and Fedora 12's grub installed to sda2
3rd scenario, Fedora 14's grub installed to MBR and Fedora 12's grub installed to sda2

In both 2nd and 3rd scenarios, Fedora 12 just disappered and never booted, only Fedora 14 booted well. Both have grub version 0.97.

Quote:
How big is this hard drive and the partitions?
Hard drive size - 80 GB, paritions for both Fedora 12 and 14 are more than 30 GB each.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post

14's can use 12 or 13
Yes, to me it looks that - when Fedora 12 is installed (including its grub) first to its own sda1 partition followed by Fedora 14 installed (including its grub) to its own sda2 partition, Fedora 14 recognizes Fedora 12 and both boot well from boot menu.

But, when you reverse the order, ie When you install Fedora 14 to including its grub to its own partition- sda1 followed by Fedora 12 including its grub to its own partition - sda2, Fedora 12 does not recognize Fedora 14. And only Fedora 14 boots.

Please help me out here, I know that it is a grub issue. But F12 and F14 both were released with little time gap between them, so my little experience says that it should not be a problem installing them on the same hard drive to their separate paritions including their individual grub.

There are users on this very forum who use two Fedora distros on the same drive successfully, and I am sure that there exists a solution to my problem. Thanks

Last edited by tech291083; 20th August 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 20th August 2011, 03:26 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You may have it a difference in Fedora versions.

14 is fairly flexible about other releases. 12 may not.

Installing 12 then 14 would have the 14 installer determine what to do last.

Installing 14 then 12 would have the 12 installer determine that, and it's decisions are different.
Old 20th August 2011, 04:20 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

It probably doesn't matter to the original question and problem, but several times you have said that you installed Fedora 12 with its GRUB in its own partition and Fedora 14 with its GRUB in its own partition. Okay, but something else had to boot both of them in those situations. What was it? Some kind of boot loader always has to be in the master boot record or nothing boots. Knowing your answer to that probably will not help anyone solve the main problem, but it's a detail in the story that is not squared away.
Old 20th August 2011, 06:28 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The message ..
Quote:
Error- completely broken BIOS detected, last attempt with drive = EF.
comes from isolinux. So grub isn't installed and/or it't's trying to boof off a Cd/DVD/usb
whatever.

Your bootloader needs a re-install from the ground up - or remove the other bootable.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:55 PM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfirefox

also with fedora 12 being dead and unsupported
it is a non starter
12 is Eof L

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 21st August 2011, 04:54 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
something else had to boot both of them in those situations. What was it? Some kind of boot loader always has to be in the master boot record or nothing boots. Knowing your answer to that probably will not help anyone solve the main problem, but it's a detail in the story that is not squared away.
Thanks, but I have no anwser to this question of yours. In order to avoid any problems, initially I installed both of them in separate partitions sda1(F12) and sda2 (F14) and both booted well. This is the very first scenario/attempt I am talking about. Please let me know if you need any other info, thank you.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post

14's can use 12 or 13
Well this is what I thought initially, but considering the fact that both the F12 and F14 come from the same stable and not too far apart in terms of their release dates, I thought I could dual boot with them, while the sequence F12 and F14 worked, but F14 and F12 did not, this has driven me crazy and I am looking for some real explaination if there is one, although your explaination seems to be pointing to the right path, thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
The message ..

comes from isolinux. So grub isn't installed and/or it't's trying to boof off a Cd/DVD/usb
whatever.

Your bootloader needs a re-install from the ground up - or remove the other bootable.
Yes, I think your reply is the closest one I can associated myself with, I did try to install grub again, but still the same problem. Ok, here is what I intend to do, which happens to be a repeat of the same thing I did earlier. Sorry, but please allow me to repeat the stuff for my own convenience, apologies for that.

I have 3 primary partitions. sda1 - Fedora 14, sda2 - Fedora 12 and sda3 - swap. As I just want to install F14 first to sda1 and Fedora 12 to sda2 with their own grubs and make a dual-boot system. Do you think it is possible at all? While the reverse worked very well ie F12 installed first and then F14 to dedicated partitions with their own grub. I am sure you will guide me from here, thanks a lot.

Last edited by tech291083; 22nd August 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:22 AM
mschwendt Offline

linuxfirefox

It is possible. With one GRUB in the MBR, /dev/sda, chainloading the other GRUB in either /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2, respectively.

That means, when you install either one of F14 and F12, you need to tell the installer to install the boot loader into either /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2, but not /dev/sda. Else you would overwrite the previous one. Only one of the installs may use the MBR.

Don't try to use a shared /etc/grub.conf where you insert kernel/initrd entries manually. Use GRUB chainloading with rootnoverify.

Assuming F14 is installed onto /dev/sda1, aka GRUB (hd0,0), with its boot loader in the MBR, dev/sda aka (hd0), this entry in /etc/grub.conf would boot /dev/sda2:
Code:
title F12 on sda2
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:47 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwendt View Post
It is possible. With one GRUB in the MBR, /dev/sda, chainloading the other GRUB in either /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2, respectively.

Code:
title F12 on sda2
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1
Success at last,

Thanks a lot. It worked. I had tried this earlier, but made a silly mistake somewhere. I just did exactly as directed by you and the problem is gone. Installed Fedora 14's grub to MBR and (sda1, ext4, primary partition) and Fedora 12's grub to sda2 - ext4, primary partition. Pasted the code to Fedora 14's /etc/grub.conf file and that is all, ya there was this third partition for swap as well.

Thanks a lot for providing me the correct directions to a problem that has eaten up my sleep at night. Thanks to all of you who have tried to help - JohnVV, stevea, stoat, jpollard. I love this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Code:
 grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-[generic-]version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 ro root=UUID=aef48fe1-70cb-4c32-81d6-b39eb05ce10e rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686.img

title Fedora 12
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

Tags
disk, fedora, installing