Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2004, 10:04 PM
rwelty Offline

FC1, FC2 problems on ASUS A7V133

i've got a problem with FC 1 & 2 on an Asus motherboard that has me momentarily stumped. please note that i have been using linux since 1996 (a slackware distribution with the 2.0.0 kernel) and RH since 4.2, and have Fedora Core 1 running on my Toshiba laptop and FC2 running on an IBM X330, so i'm not completely inexperienced, only a little inexperienced.

the Asus system in question is my wife's windoze box, which i wish to set up to dual boot in fedora and w98se so we can try reducing the household windoze count by one. it's an A7V133, with a 1Ghz thunderbird. the promise "raid" is not being used. the first ("master") drive on the first ide channel is the old windoze disk; a new disk on the same ide channel is to be the FC2 disk. there is a toshiba dvd/cdrom drive installed, as the only drive on the second ide channel. the graphics card is an asus card based on the nvidia geforce 2 chipset. the new drive is installed, visible to the bios at boot time, and windows boots without any trouble.

i put my FC2 rescue disk in and tried to boot from it, intending to note the chs drive geometry in anticipation of the classic fc2/grub problem. it booted from that drive properly, gave me the standard initial screen, but when i entered rescue (or tried linux rescue or other variants with noprobe on the line), it indicated it was uncompressing
the kernel, and then stalled with a cursor in the top left corner of the screen. FC2 disk 1, and FC1 install disks all yielded the same behavior.

i have had trouble with USB devices interfering with this motherboard's boot process in the past, so i removed the one which was attached and retried. no luck.

anyone have any suggestions?

Tags
asus, fc1, fc2, problems