Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2011, 07:23 PM
diomidis Offline

linuxchrome
Question My laptop has a broken monitor, I need to enable an external. How?

So, here is the situation. I've got an Amilo laptop with a broken screen (about 90% is not view-able). So I bought an external monitor and installed Fedora 14 on my laptop. The installation could be viewed on the external. But when I booted on the installed Fedora the monitor was unavailable. But when I turn to terminal mode with Ctrl+Del+F10 I can run the console with my external monitor also. So I have terminal in both monitors and standard GUI only on the broken laptop screen.

Can you help me?

Old 9th August 2011, 09:42 PM
oldcpu Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: My laptop has a broken monitor, I need to enable an external. How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomidis View Post
So, here is the situation. I've got an Amilo laptop with a broken screen (about 90% is not view-able). So I bought an external monitor and installed Fedora 14 on my laptop. The installation could be viewed on the external. But when I booted on the installed Fedora the monitor was unavailable. But when I turn to terminal mode with Ctrl+Del+F10 I can run the console with my external monitor also. So I have terminal in both monitors and standard GUI only on the broken laptop screen.

Can you help me?

Hmmm ... I don't know if this will work in an alternate terminal session via Ctrl+Del+F10, ... but assuming this is NOT nvidia graphic hardware, then how about this , run :
Code:
xrandr
so as to learn what the internal integrated display was called and the external display. Also note the resolutions available with each.

I suspect the internal will be called LVDS and the external something like VGA-0 (or some other). Substitute (in my example) what your display is called for where I typed 'VGA-0'.

Then try to have external monitor driven:
Code:
xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --same-as LVDS
Then try 'Ctrl+Del+Fx' (using 'x' as what ever you need to go back to X)

To switch OFF the external monitor you can type:
Code:
xrandr --output VGA-0 --off
I don't know if (to switch off the laptop screen):
Code:
xrandr --output LVDS --off
will affect the VGA-0 when it is a clone of LVDS

The above settings won't survive a reboot.

You can probably get ideas here by looking at the thinkwiki on xrandr: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2

I've never actually tried this with a broken monitor (nor via Ctrl+Del+F10 and Ctrl+Del+Fx(something) to get back) but its what I would try myself.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:16 AM
diomidis Offline

linuxchrome

When I put "xrandr" I get an output "Can't open display"
Old 10th August 2011, 06:36 PM
oldcpu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomidis View Post
When I put "xrandr" I get an output "Can't open display"
I was afraid that might be the case. Its likely caused because X is already in use and not being shared to the terminal session associated with Ctrl+Del+F10.

How much can you see with your main display with only 10% showing?

Instead of using Ctrl+Del+F10 , can you instead boot to your broken screen without external display attached. Open a terminal. Type 'xrandr' and try to confirm your broken screen is called 'LVDS'.

Then attach external display. Again type 'xrandr' in a terminal, and try to confirm what your external display is called. Likely 'VGA' or 'VGA-0' or 'VGA-1'.

The after confirming that, try in the terminal, again with OUT Ctrl+Del+F10 :
Code:
xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --same-as LVDS
(assuming in the above example that your external display is called VGA-0. Substitute the correct name there).

The above is under the assumption your graphic hardware is NOT nvidia hardware.

Note I provided you this link: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2 to help you come up with such test ideas.

Tags
broken, enable, external, laptop, monitor