Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th July 2011, 03:44 AM
bxsjc Offline

linuxfirefox
CUDA on fedora 15

Hi! I came across some problems. I need to conduct parallel computing on CUDA. I input "uname -a"and read these:
"Linux BXSJC 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 6 14:46:26 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux".
I use CUDAtoolkit 4.0. However, when I input:
cd /home/bxsjc/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C and "make -i ",the computer returns

"/usr/local/cuda/include/host_config.h:82:2: error: #error — unsupported GNU version! gcc 4.5 and up are not supported!
make[1]: [obj/i386/release/clock.cu.o] Error 1 (ignored)
g++: error: obj/i386/release/clock.cu.o: No such file or directory
make[1]: [../../bin/linux/release/clock] Error 1 (ignored)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bxsjc/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/src/clock'
Finished building all"
I don't know how to tackle this problem. So I directly "cd /home/bxsjc/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/bin/linux/release "and run those executable files. Some return passed while others return these:
"[bxsjc@BXSJC release]$ ./simpleTextureDrv
[simpleTextureDrv] starting...
> Using CUDA Device [0]: GeForce G210M
> GPU Device has SM 1.2 compute capability
> findModulePath file not found: <simpleTexture_kernel.ptx>
> findModulePath file not found: <simpleTexture_kernel.cubin>
> findModulePath could not find <simpleTexture_kernel> ptx or cubin
[simpleTextureDrv] test results...
FAILED
Press ENTER to exit..."
So, could anyone help me? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 30th July 2011, 08:42 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: CUDA on fedora 15

The problem is just what it says, CUDA isn't supported on Fedora 15.
That's why the Fedora version mentioned on http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-40 is Fedora 13.
The main issue is the compiler in Fedora 15 is gcc 4.6 but CUDA 4.0 needs gcc 4.5 or lower. There are several options

1) get the gcc source from gcc.gnu.org for one of the older versions like gcc 4.4, build that and use it for building CUDA software instead of the official Fedora 15 gcc compiler. I did that at work so I could use Fedora 14 with CUDA 4

2) the hack way:
go in /usr/local/cuda/include/host_config.h and comment out the testing code there around line 82 that detects your compiler version and stops the compile. I think this mostly works because the problem with gcc 4.5 and higher is doing something that the cuda debugger can't deal with. But if you never use the debugger it won't matter. Eventually cuda will catch up to gcc.

3) use Fedora 13 or other supported linux
Old 30th July 2011, 04:47 PM
bxsjc Offline

linuxfirefox

Many thanks! Just what I need! I have read lots of discussions. However, I got confused. I will take the first one. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The problem is just what it says, CUDA isn't supported on Fedora 15.
That's why the Fedora version mentioned on http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-40 is Fedora 13.
The main issue is the compiler in Fedora 15 is gcc 4.6 but CUDA 4.0 needs gcc 4.5 or lower. There are several options

1) get the gcc source from gcc.gnu.org for one of the older versions like gcc 4.4, build that and use it for building CUDA software instead of the official Fedora 15 gcc compiler. I did that at work so I could use Fedora 14 with CUDA 4

2) the hack way:
go in /usr/local/cuda/include/host_config.h and comment out the testing code there around line 82 that detects your compiler version and stops the compile. I think this mostly works because the problem with gcc 4.5 and higher is doing something that the cuda debugger can't deal with. But if you never use the debugger it won't matter. Eventually cuda will catch up to gcc.

3) use Fedora 13 or other supported linux
Many thanks! Just what I need! I have read lots of discussions. However, I got confused. I will take the first one. Thank you!
Old 30th July 2011, 05:45 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

If you do the option 1 and build gcc 4.4.X, then you'll probably want to change your shell so that gcc is used. Something like this would work

in your ~/.tcshrc file
Code:
if (-d /opt/gcc44/bin ) then
  set path = ( /opt/gcc44/bin $path )
endif
or for ~/.bash_profile
Code:
if [ -d /opt/gcc44/bin]; then
  PATH=/opt/gcc44/bin:$PATH
fi
assuming /opt/gcc44 is where you put your gcc build. The if check is to do a sanity check that I'm adding a path entry that actually exists.
There might also be some people in the forum that have posted about special gcc builds that are already in rpm form, just be careful with the security risks of using an rpm from an unknown source.
Old 1st August 2011, 02:13 AM
bxsjc Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
If you do the option 1 and build gcc 4.4.X, then you'll probably want to change your shell so that gcc is used. Something like this would work

in your ~/.tcshrc file
Code:
if (-d /opt/gcc44/bin ) then
  set path = ( /opt/gcc44/bin $path )
endif
or for ~/.bash_profile
Code:
if [ -d /opt/gcc44/bin]; then
  PATH=/opt/gcc44/bin:$PATH
fi
assuming /opt/gcc44 is where you put your gcc build. The if check is to do a sanity check that I'm adding a path entry that actually exists.
There might also be some people in the forum that have posted about special gcc builds that are already in rpm form, just be careful with the security risks of using an rpm from an unknown source.
mv /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc46
ln -sf /usr/bin/gcc34 /usr/bin/gcc
ln -sf /usr/bin/g++34 /usr/bin/g++
These efforts can set compat-gcc-34 as the dafault gcc version.
But thank you for giving me a hand!
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:38 AM
JohnVV Offline

linuxfirefox

same post as
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...a-15-a-894576/

build gcc 4.3
the examples do build in 4.3

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:41 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

JohnVV:

I don't really think there's such a thing as cross posting on completely different forums, the other one was on linuxquestions.org so it's not a violation of the posting rules

http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

1. Do Not Cross-Post (Double-Post)
    Posting your thread in several parts of the forum is immature. Just because it's in more than one location doesn't mean that more people are going to answer it. In fact quite the opposite normally as experienced members have little time for this sort of behaviour, staff members will close all offending threads. Posts or threads advertising other posts are also seen as cross-posting.

Tags
cuda fedora gcc