Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:28 AM
TyroSe7en Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Workflow ideas

Looking practice programming in Fedora 15, I've heard that IDEs aren't really the way to go when it comes to linux and need a workflow to get started since I've pretty much never compiled code outside an IDE, but would like to learn a straight foward system.

I'm mostly interested in C/C++ coding, maybe a bit of D. Gearing towards platform agnostic game development.
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:03 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Workflow ideas

Emacs has pretty much everything you'd need for C and C++. And it has syntax highlighting and a major mode for D code: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DMode
Old 23rd June 2011, 03:16 AM
TyroSe7en Offline

linuxfirefox

Cool, had a look at emacs but didn't feel like learning it at the time, any good place to pick up some tuts?
Old 20th July 2011, 04:06 AM
jarubyh Offline

windows_7firefox

If you're not going to use an IDE, Emacs or Vi(m) are pretty much the way to go on any *nix system.
Since you've already shot down Emacs, I'll sell ya Vim. It uses a lot less extra keys than
Escape
Meta
Alt
Control
Shift

And is easy to use with just a few commands you can learn from their quick tutorial. I don't have a lot of experience with the C languages, but it works like a charm for Perl, Ruby and Python.
Good luck.
Old 24th July 2011, 09:04 AM
TyroSe7en Offline

linuxchrome
Smile Re: Workflow ideas

Alright I'm actually somewhat familiar with Vi alredy just because I've learned that's it's basically available regardless of what *nix OS your using which makes it rather dependable, but that's just the editor aspect. I'm much more curious about compiling and creating make files, basically the jazz you do when you finish coding or wanna check it for mistakes and such.

Like I said, I've always used an IDE like Visual Studio or MonoDevelop (my primary language so far being C#, but I wish to branch out over to C & C++) so essentially all that second half of the coding process is taken care for me with these. I just hit F5 and bam, here's your errors, warnings and build output. Even launches the app so I can test it. Or I can go Crtl+Shift+B to just do a build and check for errors.

I'm wondering what's the best way to go about manually handling this second half.
Old 24th July 2011, 11:42 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

I think you are looking for 'geany'.
Old 25th July 2011, 03:02 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Emacs has pretty much everything you'd need for C and C++. And it has syntax highlighting and a major mode for D code: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DMode
Hi,

I just installed Fedora 14 and would love to practise C, C++. But I have never used Emacs. Is it a complete IDE or just a GUI? Please guide me how to install it and whether there is anything else - dependencies or libraries also to be installed with it, thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 25th July 2011, 05:30 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
I have never used Emacs. Is it a complete IDE or just a GUI? Please guide me how to install it
Emacs can be used as an IDE for several languages. Use yum to install it (as root):
Code:
yum install emacs
After installing it, run its built-in tutorial.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:49 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Code:
yum install emacs
After installing it, run its built-in tutorial.
Yes, sure I will do so. Hope that with the above yum command all the dependencies are also resolved automatically and it becomes ready to use after installing. Thanks a lot RupertP.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Tags
fedora 15, gcc, programming, workflow