Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th July 2011, 03:09 PM
jss83 Offline

windows_7chrome
need help with broadband connection and sound

Ok, I just downloaded the fedora live cd and burnt and tried it (not installed) and it booted itself and looked great.

I have basically 2 problems : -

1. It did not have any sound, so I thought may be I will go online and search for some drivers but this brings us to the 2nd problem I face.

2. I could not get connected to the internet so therefore I couldn't search for the drivers I needed so I need help.

I use wired broadband connection (wan miniport pppoe) and one more thing where can I see the Device Manager, I mean how will I know which hardware in my pc is installed and which require some drivers and where and how can I get them.

also, one last thing what is the main difference between the fedora live cd which was 565 MB and the fedora 15 which is bigger in size?

Thank you for reading through my question. expecting a prompt response.
Old 19th July 2011, 04:40 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: need help with broadband connection and sound

chances are if it is a wired connection, then you won't need any drivers at all. You just need to configure your connection.

There are a few differences between the livecd and the larger dvd

1: the livecd is a system image so that you can boot an operational system without having to install it to your hard drive. The lager dvd does not have that. You must install it for it to run anything but the installer.

2: the full dvd gives you a few more installation options, like more control over your filesystems, partitions, etc...

3: the full install dvd has a lot more packages included on it that you can install when you install fedora. You can get any o those packages later from the online repositories no matter which you install from.

4: the full install dvd seems to support more different hardware configurations than the livecd image does.

Some people have been unable to install from the livecd, and have to use the full dvd. But other than those few cases, it's really a matter of preference since a lot of the packages on the full install dvd will need to be updated as soon as you get the install done anyway.

If the livecd works on your system,, and you can get Fedora installed, then there is no need to download the full dvd.

Now for your sound.. Do you know what card you have installed?

(if you don't know, open a terminal window and run:

Code:
lspci -k
If you can, paste the output of that in here

That will show what devices you have installed, and what kernel modules/drivers they use.
Old 19th July 2011, 04:50 PM
jss83 Offline

windows_7chrome

Thank you sir for the prompt reply.

I have not yet installed the fedora cd I just used it with the live version, I just want to make sure I have all the drivers and network working before I switch to it from windows.

Might I ask how do I open the terminal window I am new to this should I press the windows key with r?

sorry for being a noob
Old 19th July 2011, 04:56 PM
prat22 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss83 View Post
Ok, I just downloaded the fedora live cd and burnt and tried it (not installed) and it booted itself and looked great.

I have basically 2 problems : -

1. It did not have any sound, so I thought may be I will go online and search for some drivers but this brings us to the 2nd problem I face.

2. I could not get connected to the internet so therefore I couldn't search for the drivers I needed so I need help.

I use wired broadband connection (wan miniport pppoe) and one more thing where can I see the Device Manager, I mean how will I know which hardware in my pc is installed and which require some drivers and where and how can I get them.

also, one last thing what is the main difference between the fedora live cd which was 565 MB and the fedora 15 which is bigger in size?

Thank you for reading through my question. expecting a prompt response.
You should have mentioned your Modem make and model, firmware version, and your ISP. I am supposing you have a NSN modem.

Keep a record of what you are changing (Write it down) as you follow the proceedures below:

You can configure your modem to dial automatically, and choose to keep the connection always on.
Connect your modem through ethernet (Do not connect to internet), and type 192.168.1.1 in your browser, username/Password= admin (See your modem instructions for the IP and username, typically on the sticker pasted at the bottom).

Once you are on the modem page, select a page where internet connections are listed. You will see a VPI and VCI value. Choose the one with VPI=0, VCI=35. Edit, such that you put your ISP user/pswd, and enable NAT, and acquire WAN IP automatically. Choose connection "Always on".
Save and exit.

Restart the modem.
Connect the internet cable to it, and connect the ethernet to your PC.
It should connect automatically to the internet. Try to load some pages, it will work.

Once it starts working by not having to dial, it will connect to any OS you wish, including Fedora 15.

To open the terminal, strike your mouse to the upper left edge of the screen, or press the super button (Windows button). Type terminal in the search box that appears.

Never mind of sounds. Once you install fedora, you have to install some codecs, available on the repositories. It is no use trying if you are on live cd.

Last edited by prat22; 19th July 2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 19th July 2011, 05:07 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

well, a terminal window is opened by going to your Activities overview, click on Applications, then under System Tools, there is a terminal application.

I would bet that you have all the drivers that you need right there on the livecd. After all, linux does support more hardware right out of the box than windows does. One thing you can do is to try and set up your network connection booting from the live cd image, and see if it sees your network card. (click on your user name in the upper right corner of the screen, select system settings, then select network. IF it shows your connection, then it at least recognises your network adapter and loads the drivers for it, so it probably will only need to be configured)

There is one thing that might get you. If you have one of the creative labs X Fi Xtreme PCIe cards. They use the CA0110 chipset and so far there isn't very good support for them in alsa. It's being worked on, but so far, still not very good support.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
well, a terminal window is opened by going to your Activities overview, click on Applications, then under System Tools, there is a terminal application.

I would bet that you have all the drivers that you need right there on the livecd. After all, linux does support more hardware right out of the box than windows does. One thing you can do is to try and set up your network connection booting from the live cd image, and see if it sees your network card. (click on your user name in the upper right corner of the screen, select system settings, then select network. IF it shows your connection, then it at least recognises your network adapter and loads the drivers for it, so it probably will only need to be configured)

There is one thing that might get you. If you have one of the creative labs X Fi Xtreme PCIe cards. They use the CA0110 chipset and so far there isn't very good support for them in alsa. It's being worked on, but so far, still not very good support.

Edit:

Do NOT change the VCI and VPI values set in your modem! You WILL NOT be able to connect to your ISP unless they are the correct values for your particular ISP, and every ISP is different.
Old 19th July 2011, 05:18 PM
jss83 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by prat22 View Post
You should have mentioned your Modem make and model, firmware version, and your ISP. I am supposing you have a NSN modem.

Keep a record of what you are changing (Write it down) as you follow the proceedures below:

You can configure your modem to dial automatically, and choose to keep the connection always on.
Connect your modem through ethernet (Do not connect to internet), and type 192.168.1.1 in your browser, username/Password= admin (See your modem instructions for the IP and username, typically on the sticker pasted at the bottom).

Once you are on the modem page, select a page where internet connections are listed. You will see a VPI and VCI value. Choose the one with VPI=0, VCI=35. Edit, such that you put your ISP user/pswd, and enable NAT, and acquire WAN IP automatically. Choose connection "Always on".
Save and exit.

Restart the modem.
Connect the internet cable to it, and connect the ethernet to your PC.
It should connect automatically to the internet. Try to load some pages, it will work.

Once it starts working by not having to dial, it will connect to any OS you wish, including Fedora 15.

To open the terminal, strike your mouse to the upper left edge of the screen, or press the super button (Windows button). Type terminal in the search box that appears.

Never mind of sounds. Once you install fedora, you have to install some codecs, available on the repositories. It is no use trying if you are on live cd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Edit:

Do NOT change the VCI and VPI values set in your modem! You WILL NOT be able to connect to your ISP unless they are the correct values for your particular ISP, and every ISP is different.
Thank you both so much for helping.

Update:

I have configured the Network connection and I am using the firefox which came with the fedora live cd and so far its going ok now I need the sound drivers and the codecs?

after I figure out the sound I am switching to fedora, period, I am tired of windows basically, Fedora looks stable so far, I had to format my pc every month with windows. either it was some system files or virus.

I will try the things mentioned by you and will get back to you in a bit.

Thanks again.
Old 19th July 2011, 05:31 PM
prat22 Offline

linuxfirefox

You remind me of the days when I used to be a faithful windows user!

To test if your laptop sound architecture is recognised by fedora, try to increase/decrease the volume from the applet on the upper right corner of your screen. It should produce a notification type sound.

If it does, never mind of the drivers, because you have to download the codecs manually once you are on F15 (Installed version).

Once you successfully run F15, type in the terminal

Code:
su -
Enter your root password

Code:
yum install vlc
VLC will be automatically installed, and you can start playing audio/video.

After all, the one thing you need after installing linux is internet. Others will follow!

Note: If you have a Ogg Vorbis audio file (.ogg), you can try playing it, it will play. Other codecs such as mp3 and avi are not provided by default since their licence type forbids to do so. However, you can install them manually, and this is legal.

Enjoy Fedora!

Last edited by prat22; 19th July 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 19th July 2011, 06:27 PM
jss83 Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok the network is working ok but I still don't have the sound, do you think it is because of I am just using the live cd without installing it, should I install it or should I download the fedora 15 version ?

I ran the command in the terminal window and here is a copy paste of it: -

[liveuser@localhost ~]$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller
Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation DeskTop Board D945GTP
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge
Kernel modules: leds-ss4200, iTCO_wdt, intel-rng
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller
Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
Kernel modules: i2c-i801
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 00ba
Kernel driver in use: sky2
Kernel modules: sky2
[liveuser@localhost ~]$

help me get sound.. also I don't understand.. I can't play mp3 on this?

why?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

need help with the drivers people..

anyone?
Old 19th July 2011, 06:39 PM
prat22 Offline

linuxfirefox

Everything is OK. Just forget about the drivers for now, and install Fedora.

Once you install fedora, return back to this thread, and post your issues.

You cannot play mp3 now. It is because, you are a live system user, and you cannot install any software/codec. Once you become a real user, you will be able to do so, and mp3 will not be an issue.

Edit:
Just for Info:
You have downloaded Fedora 15, isn't it? It is Fedora 15 live cd you are using?

Last edited by prat22; 19th July 2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 19th July 2011, 06:48 PM
jss83 Offline

linuxfirefox

well i don't know I just downloaded the one on this page and it was 565 mb :-

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

fedora 15 desktop edition.

and I am going to install it tonight, just wanted to make sure that i will have sound.
Old 19th July 2011, 07:00 PM
prat22 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
well i don't know I just downloaded the one on this page and it was 565 mb :-

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

fedora 15 desktop edition.

and I am going to install it tonight, just wanted to make sure that i will have sound.
Well, then, you have downloaded Fedora 15. Good.

See, you are first-time linux user, I suppose. You will be having a lot of issues while you install fedora for the first time. Concentrate on the installation part.

As far as playing mp3 is concerned, you will be able to play a hell lot of ther formats along with mp3 you ever knew! If you are still not ready to jump, then try moving around this forum and see that all types of issues are being solved here! So cheer up, and install it.

After all, you are not throwing away your Win7 cd (I suppose), are you? You can always get back from where you came from!

Go...

Edit: However, since you are new, I recommend installing Fedora alongside Windows. You can do this by keeping your C drive intact, and installing Fedora on a seperate partition. You will be able to dual boot, ie, boot into either one you please at the time of startup.

Last edited by prat22; 19th July 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 19th July 2011, 07:12 PM
jss83 Offline

windows_7chrome

you are right, I am installing it on another partition, I am a first time linux user but it looks awesome so far and it is fast and I am tired of windows basically so that is why I searched for alternatives and this came up and I read the reviews and saw how it looked and I downloaded it last night and it does looks awesome, I just hope that it is stable and less viruses hopefully and I get to watch movies and play music on it.

Thank you so much.
Old 19th July 2011, 08:02 PM
AlexDudko Offline

linuxsusefirefox

Quote:
Ok the network is working ok but I still don't have the sound, do you think it is because of I am just using the live cd without installing it, should I install it or should I download the fedora 15 version ?

I ran the command in the terminal window and here is a copy paste of it: -

[liveuser@localhost ~]$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller
Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation DeskTop Board D945GTP

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge
Kernel modules: leds-ss4200, iTCO_wdt, intel-rng
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller
Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
Kernel modules: i2c-i801
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 00ba
Kernel driver in use: sky2
Kernel modules: sky2
[liveuser@localhost ~]$

help me get sound.. also I don't understand.. I can't play mp3 on this?

why?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

need help with the drivers people..

anyone?
This is the place where you can download and install the driver for your sound card: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=9201&lang=eng
See documentation on installation from source.

P.S. You should have sound with your sound card.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:28 PM
jss83 Offline

windows_7chrome

thank you sir.

I will confirm this by morning.

thanks again
Old 20th July 2011, 02:49 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

actually, that sound card has support already in Fedora. You can get the later drivers from intel if you wish, but you can have full use of your sound card without installing anything extra.

I have a nearly identical motherboard here, and this is what I am using with just a fresh install of F15. no additional drivers installed for anything

Code:
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7529
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7529
The intel drivers comes included with Fedora.

Edit:

Once you get your Fedora system installed, the easiest way to install the audio/video codecs you will need is to use an application called AutoPlus:

Code:
su -c 'yum -y --nogpgcheck install http://dnmouse.org/autoplus-1.1-8.noarch.rpm'
Once you install that, run it, and select the "Install Most Codecs" option and it will get your codecs installed for you. You can also use it to install the adobe flash player as well, along with a few other items.

Looking over your output above (the lspci ouptut) you have drivers installed for all of your devices, so any additional drivers are un-necessary for you to install

Last edited by DBelton; 20th July 2011 at 03:01 AM.