Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2011, 11:08 PM
copyleft Offline

linuxfirefox
NVIDIA 8400m problems with 3D (Shell works)

I just installed Fedora 15 on a laptop. This laptop had no issue with any distros in the past with NVIDIA. The card is an NVIDIA 8400m and I installed the proprietary drivers via rpmfusion (kmod).

Shell is working fine, but no games are able to run. Any game I run gives me back an error. For example, Quake 3 based games won't run and give me the "could not open opengl subsystem" message. The last time I saw that message was on a very old PC which was incapable of playing 3d games.

After that, I checked this site and the 3d works, but is much choppier than it was when running Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14.

The NVIDIA splash screen appears on startup. That said, is it possible I am still using the Nouveau driver instead of the proprietary driver? This is the first time I've had any problems with graphics on this laptop.

Tags
8400m, nvidia, problems, shell, works

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On