Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2011, 06:46 AM
Godhand99 Offline

linuxfirefox
File copying to external devices

first off i am new to the site (and to fedora as well) but for the most part have no problems with fedora other than this one. I did a search and looked through other threads and did not see the same posted so on to the problem.

when i copy a file onto any external device be it an sd card or my flash drive, the file copies but as soon as the drive is ejected the file is seemingly deleted, now i have noticed that ejecting a drive gives me a weird error about a connection not being able to be made, and with the drive still attached (as for some reason it does not eject) shows that the file copied is 0 bytes
Old 14th July 2011, 08:28 AM
stevenjd13 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: File copying to external devices

Welcome, we hope we can solve your problem.

1st I would have to say I have not herd of that problem, but lets go through a few things.

1. What format is the external drive? FAT or NTFS or other file system.

2. What Version are you running ie 14 or 15.

3. Can you tell me the exact error message.

We will go from there.

I
Old 15th July 2011, 01:27 PM
williamjacob Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

From time to time, you may need to back up some of your important files. One major convenient method is to use an external hard drive, which is purchasable from many websites and computer stores.
  • 1.Read your external hard drive's manual for any special instructions that must be completed prior to hooking the drive up to you computer.
    2.Install the drivers and required software that came bundled with your device.
    3.If your external hard drive requires an external power source (ie. it needs more power than what can be delivered over USB / Firewire), plug it into an electrical outlet with the AC power adaptor provided with your external hard drive.
    4.Connect the drive's data cable (probably USB or Firewire) to the device and your computer.
    5.Wait while your device is recognized and initialized.
    6.If you are a Windows user, your external hard drive will show up on the My Computer screen just like any other hard drive.
    7.Drag and drop (or copy & paste) the files you wish to back up on your external hard drive.
Old 15th July 2011, 02:10 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Don't forget to dismount the device when you are done.

If you use nautilus, the "eject" on the menu will dismount the filesystem.

If you don't dismount then the last buffered blocks will not be written to the disk. And that includes any directory updates (including the filename reference) will fail to be stored.
Old 15th July 2011, 05:51 PM
rtguille Offline

linuxfirefox

> [...] a drive gives me a weird error about a connection not being able to be made, and with the
> drive still attached [...]

Post the error in order to be able to diagnose the problem.

Wich Desktop Environment are you using (GNOME3/GNOME2/KDE/XFCE/OTHER)?

jpollard is correct, you must umount the device (external disk) prior to unplug/remove it.
No process must have any opened files in that filesystem, if so the umount will fail.
Old 16th July 2011, 06:39 AM
Godhand99 Offline

linuxfirefox

ok scratch that idk how but it seems to be copying files correctly again so this thread is pretty much done for if i have another problem i will post it in this thread

Tags
copying, devices, external, file