Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th July 2011, 07:01 PM
exitRooster Offline

linuxfirefox
F15 'base' vid driver vs. mesa etc..

I went through a gruelling process back in maybe F11 on a system which had an ati rage3d chip. The process was to provide better support, but ultimately it didn't work with the kernel that was in use, and I didn't want to mess with it any more at that point..

Flash forward to now.. I've got a somewhat old HP DV2000 laptop with an nVidia Go 6150 video chip. From glxinfo I see:
name of display: :0
nvfx_screen_get_param:94 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 29
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
(and a ton of stuff afterards)

The post here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752 talks about using enhanced drivers, much as to what I wanted before.. Thing is, unlike before, these 'stock' drivers already on here allow me to use GLX-dock, which was one of the main rasons I wanted the fancy drivers on my other system.

So I guess what I'm wondering is this.. What will be enhanced, better, why would I want to install them? Not looking for someone to 'sell' me on the feature, just curious what it allows my laptop to do that I can't currently? That make sense? hehh
Thanks for your time,

eR
Old 11th July 2011, 06:51 AM
exitRooster Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F15 'base' vid driver vs. mesa etc..

Okay, since there aren't many replies coming in.. Let's attack this a different way..

Is there an easy way to back up my existing fedora install so I can try this other diver to find out on my own? That way, if I muck everything up I can simply restore what I had working fine previously?

Tags
base, driver, f15, mesa, vid