Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 4th July 2011, 07:57 PM
blackplague1347 Offline

linuxfirefox
How can I get rid of "unfinished transaction" warning?

Every time I go to install software via yum (on a new F15 install), I get a warning that there are unfinished transactions and that I should run yum-complete-transaction to finish them. Well, I don't want to do that. I had to install F15 a second time today for just this reason...

Today I went to install gnome-tweak-tool via yum and it wouldn't work because packagekit was holding the yum lock. Apparently packagekit runs as a daemon in the background? Is that correct? If so, how do I disable it? It's really quite obnoxious that an application that I didn't even start manually would sit around holding the yum lock, preventing me from doing what I want.

Either way, packagekit wasn't giving up the yum lock any time soon, apparently, so I just killed the process. Now every time I try to install something with yum, I get a warning about unfinished transactions, and a recommendation that I should complete them. I tried to do this earlier today, but after doing so and rebooting, I was greeted with a kernel panic error. Not knowledgeable enough to fix such a thing, I re-installed, and here I am.

So, other than running yum-complete-transaction, how can I get rid of this error message? I really don't want to have to run it and then get another kernel panic and start from scratch again.
Old 4th July 2011, 08:23 PM
Miikka Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How can I get rid of "unfinished transaction" warning?

Code:
yum clear all
Clears cache and, well.. all
Old 5th July 2011, 05:41 AM
blackplague1347 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post
Code:
yum clear all
Clears cache and, well.. all
Terminal tells me "no such command."

Do I need to install something? I tried "yum clean all", but that didn't work either.
Old 5th July 2011, 07:29 AM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Were you running the command as user or root? According to ' yum help ' the command for F15 should be ' yum clean ', no option for all.
Old 5th July 2011, 07:53 AM
blackplague1347 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the train View Post
Were you running the command as user or root? According to ' yum help ' the command for F15 should be ' yum clean ', no option for all.
I ran the commands as both user and root. User didn't work with "yum clean all", so I tried as root.
Here's what happened (this time it removed nothing; the first time it removed a couple of things, none of which eliminated the "unfinished transaction" message):

Code:
[root@fedora]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Cleaning repos: adobe-linux-i386 fedora rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-free-updates
              : rpmfusion-nonfree rpmfusion-nonfree-updates updates
Cleaning up Everything
0 delta-package files removed, by presto
[root@fedora]#
And here is simply "yum clean":

Code:
[root@fedora]# yum clean
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: clean requires an option: headers, packages, metadata, dbcache, plugins, expire-cache, rpmdb, all
Cleaning repos: adobe-linux-i386 fedora rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-free-updates
              : rpmfusion-nonfree rpmfusion-nonfree-updates updates
[root@fedora]#
Old 5th July 2011, 10:34 AM
Smoking Tux Online

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
that I should run yum-complete-transaction to finish them. Well, I don't want to do that
Umm...yum is giving you an advice how to solve the problem and you're thinking a 'yum clean *' would simply 'wipe' the issue...?

Regarding to your packagekit problem.. If you're using gnome3 search in dconf-editor for org -> gnome -> settings-daemon -> plugins -> updates and disable the value 'active'.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Quote:
And here is simply "yum clean"
That's a normal behaviour. You have to tell yum 'what' should be cleaned.
See:
Code:
man yum
for further information..
Old 5th July 2011, 02:05 PM
DBelton Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

you will have to clean up the yum transaction journals before yum (or packagekit) will be able to function properly.

With it being stuck in the middle of a transaction, if packages got updated, you will have duplicates until the old packages are cleaned up.

Your best option is to allow yum to go ahead and finish the transaction, but if you really want to toss things out and leave a transaction only half finished, there is a way to clear the transaction journals, but you will probably end up with duplicate packages as a result.

To have it clean up the transaction journals without actually completeing the transaction:

Code:
yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only
I would recommend to cleanup duplicate packages after going this route, though..

Code:
package-cleanup --cleandupes
I do have to say that you are risking leaving your system in an unknown and possibly unstable state by just clearing the transaction journal, though. For example, if a package got updated, but a dependency did not get update, then that package may not even work.

You say that you got a kernel panic from doing the same exact update? If you know what caused the kernel panic, you could exclude just the problem package and still allow yum-complete-transaction to run and update the rest of your system.

Code:
yum-complete-transaction --exclude=package name

Last edited by DBelton; 5th July 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Tags
rid, unfinished transaction, warning