Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2011, 03:22 PM
zilog6502 Offline

linuxfirefox
Shared Files & Printer on Windows 7 Network

I've just installed Fedora 15 with LXDE rather than Gnome. Sorry, Gnome3 is just too annoying for professional work. The rest of the office just went from XP to Windows 7 (nothing to do with me).

Every machine in the office has been set up with this weird Windows Homegroup thing and now I've lost my connection to both the printer and shared directory on the second machine on my desk. Everyone else can connect (on 7 obviously) but I can't.... in fact, can't even find a way to browse onto the network and get reject by the password thing.

What steps do I take on Fedora? This was much easier on Debian.
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:27 PM
Mazate Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Shared Files & Printer on Windows 7 Network

I just had a very similar problem only in my home... my Fedora computer couldn't see my windows computers. After much mental anguish over it, I finally turned off the firewall on the linux computer and then POOF!, it now saw my network printers and my windows computers. I'm sure there's a way to keep the firewall turned on but just configured correctly, however that's not an option for me given my limited knowledge of linux.
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:51 PM
zilog6502 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Shared Files & Printer on Windows 7 Network

Mmmm.... looks like I'll play around with the firewall when I get into work on Monday and perhaps take a look at the SELinux docs tomorrow. If there is something obvious in the firewall I'll post back on monday, thanks Mazate.

Tags
files, network, printer, shared, windows