Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2011, 01:13 PM
abmyers Offline

linuxfirefox
Gnome 3 - How to change Key binding

Hi,

I'm slowly coming to terms with Gnome 3 but one thing I can't get used to is using the "Windows Key".

For me it's a difficult key to use regularly. What I'd rather to is remap the "Switch between overview and desktop" action to alt-space, which I am used to from "Launchy" which I have been using in Windows for some time.

A couple of issues though - this is already mapping to "Activate the window menu". I never use it though. Are there any implications of remaping it?

Secondly, what is the command I need to map the key to, in order to emulate the Gnome 3 "Windows Key" behaviour?

Many thanks,
Andrew.
Old 28th June 2011, 01:52 PM
wojox Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Gnome 3 - How to change Key binding

I ditched Gnome 3 for KDE, but if I remember doesn't the Windows key and Alt+F1 do the same thing?

If you open a terminal and run this can you change anything?

Code:
gnome-keybinding-properties
Old 28th June 2011, 09:16 PM
cymbaline42 Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmyers View Post
Hi,

I'm slowly coming to terms with Gnome 3 but one thing I can't get used to is using the "Windows Key".

For me it's a difficult key to use regularly. What I'd rather to is remap the "Switch between overview and desktop" action to alt-space, which I am used to from "Launchy" which I have been using in Windows for some time.

A couple of issues though - this is already mapping to "Activate the window menu". I never use it though. Are there any implications of remaping it?

Secondly, what is the command I need to map the key to, in order to emulate the Gnome 3 "Windows Key" behaviour?

Many thanks,
Andrew.

You can change this from the keyboard settings.

Open System Settings.
Click Keyboard and navigate to the 'Shortcuts' tab.
Choose 'System' on the left column, and you can change the 'Show the activities overview' shortcut by highlighting it and pressing Backspace.
Old 29th June 2011, 01:36 PM
abmyers Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Gnome 3 - How to change Key binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaline42 View Post
You can change this from the keyboard settings.

Open System Settings.
Click Keyboard and navigate to the 'Shortcuts' tab.
Choose 'System' on the left column, and you can change the 'Show the activities overview' shortcut by highlighting it and pressing Backspace.
Thank you - that worked perfectly.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:31 PM
ClientAlive Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi,

I also needed to do something like this. I'm using fedora 16 with gnome 3 and found this thread through google. I tried what is suggested in post #3 but it isn't working for me. This is what I tried and what happens...

I'm trying to enable shortcut keys to launch the terminal (ctrl+alt+t). I went to "System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab." "Launch Terminal" is shown as "Disabled". It says along the bottom of the window: "To edit a shortcut, click the row and hold down the new keys or press Backspace to clear." I've tried both but with no response/ result. What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone help?
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:22 PM
murfman Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClientAlive View Post
Hi,

I also needed to do something like this. I'm using fedora 16 with gnome 3 and found this thread through google. I tried what is suggested in post #3 but it isn't working for me. This is what I tried and what happens...

I'm trying to enable shortcut keys to launch the terminal (ctrl+alt+t). I went to "System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab." "Launch Terminal" is shown as "Disabled". It says along the bottom of the window: "To edit a shortcut, click the row and hold down the new keys or press Backspace to clear." I've tried both but with no response/ result. What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone help?
I am having the exact same issue. If I can figure it out I will let you know.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

I figured it out. Don't click on the actual name of the keybinding, but on the shortcut itself. It's an annoying but trivial issue.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:24 AM
mariogiov Offline

linuxfirefox

Here's a twist on this question -- I just upgraded to F17 and find my original terminal shortcut, ctrl-shift-w, has been overridden by the gnome-wide shortcut ctrl-w. I can't assign it through the System Settings --> Keyboard --> Shortcuts interface because every time I type it the window closes.

Any thoughts?

Mario
Old 4th July 2012, 10:00 AM
megaloman Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogiov View Post
Here's a twist on this question -- I just upgraded to F17 and find my original terminal shortcut, ctrl-shift-w, has been overridden by the gnome-wide shortcut ctrl-w. I can't assign it through the System Settings --> Keyboard --> Shortcuts interface because every time I type it the window closes.

Any thoughts?
Mario
change the "window close" shourtcut first?
Old 4th July 2012, 05:19 PM
mariogiov Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah I thought that might do it too but "Close Window" is assigned to Alt-F4, not Ctrl-W. I also looked through the file ~/.gnome2/accels/nautilus but didn't find any Ctrl-W assignments there.

I've never been an expert on how any of the gnome settings are laid out in the filesystem -- does anyone know if this can be set manually in a text file somewhere?

Tags
binding, change, gnome, key