FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nairobi Kenya
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lenovo S10-3 Wireless Problem

    I have been searching and trying on how to get this wireless device working but to no avail.

    From a lot of Googling around, this is what I have:

    Code:
    sh-4.2# iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    em1       no wireless extensions.
    
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:on
              
    ppp0      no wireless extensions.
    
    sh-4.2#
    Code:
    sh-4.2# lspci | grep -i network
    09:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    sh-4.2#
    Code:
    sh-4.2# rfkill list
    0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: yes
    sh-4.2#
    From the BIOS, Wireless is enabled

    Help please

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nepal
    Age
    41
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Lenovo S10-3 Wireless Problem

    Jamwa,
    This might be due to the acer_wmi kernel module. Try this at the terminal (as a root user):
    Code:
    modprobe -r acer_wmi
    rfkill unblock all
    See if you can use the wirless now. If it helps, you can edit /etc/rc.local file and add the following lines to the end

    Code:
    modprobe -r acer_wmi
    The above line in the /etc/rc.local file will fix the wireless automatically at the startup and you can enjoy wireless.
    Abhishek Singh

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nairobi Kenya
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Lenovo S10-3 Wireless Problem

    aks,

    I get this after running the commands that you have suggested:

    Code:
    sh-4.2# rfkill list
    0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: yes
    sh-4.2#
    And the wireless is still not working :-(

    ---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

    When I hover mouse over the network connection icon, it says that "Wireless disabled by hardware" Yet the switch is set to the ON position

    ---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

    I have an update. I have done this:

    Code:
    rmmod ath9k
    and immediately the network icon came up with a message that wireless has been enabled. But clicking on it , the KDE network manager tab for wireless network is diabled

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nepal
    Age
    41
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Lenovo S10-3 Wireless Problem

    Jamwa,
    So ath9k seemed to be the culprit. Despite that the wireless hardware is enabled and the proper driver is loaded, wireless is sometimes disabled by NetworkManager. Try right-clicking on the NetworkManager applet icon in the notification area, and click on "Enable Networking". Might be this will solve your problem. Additionally in the /etc/rc.local file, you can add that line (replace acer_wmi with ath9k).
    Abhishek Singh

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nairobi Kenya
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Lenovo S10-3 Wireless Problem

    Does not work. When I check to enable, yes the tick appears but nothing works

    ---------- Post added 28th June 2011 at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was 27th June 2011 at 10:19 PM ----------

    Update: This is how I have solved the problem on my part;

    • I reinstalled Windows (I had given up on Fedora on this tiny baby)
    • Next I installed all the drivers needed, including wireless software and an application called power tools, which Lenovo say that activates the keys that do something when the fn key is pressed in conjunction with the F* keys.
    • Then I pressed fn+F5 (which toggles wireless on/off for me) and chose to enable wireless.
    • I now booted with live usb stick into Fedora and am happy to report that the wireless device is up and running

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th January 2010, 03:29 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th August 2009, 08:52 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th May 2008, 06:36 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th August 2007, 03:13 PM
  5. Wireless problem with Lenovo N100 and Fedora 7
    By YevgenyEfter in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th July 2007, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •