Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 27th June 2011, 08:15 AM
Lo Zeno Offline

windows_7chrome
Unhappy Gnome3 crashes immediately, plus some repos disappeared/don't work

Two days ago I finally upgraded from Fedora14 (x64) to Fedora15 (x64).
[A bit of backstory: I first tried the preupgrade method, I always try it but for some reason it always fails (gives me errors about dependencies that it cannot solve), so as usual I downloaded the full DVD and upgraded using it. It usually works but, as usual, the first time I boot I have to boot in runlevel 3 because after the update my Nvidia drivers aren't up to date with the kernel, so using runlevel 3 I was able to yum update both Kernel and Kmod-nvidia packages; after that I could finally reboot and enjoy the new Gnome3 interface]

When I was finally able to boot in graphical mode (see above), everything worked fine: I had my Gnome3 desktop in front of me, programs worked, all my settings from Fedora14 were still there, all installed programs were still working etc etc.
Of course, PackageKit listed a bunch of updates that I needed to do (more than 700 actually), so obviously I gave it the thumbs up to update; unfortunately, some dependencies could not be resolved, to be precise they are dependencies for the packages Mono, RPM and VLC (more details later).
So, remembering that I had a similar problem when I updated from Fedora 11 to Fedora 12, I decided to update a few packages at a time, so that I could at least get as up to date as possible and identify exactly which packages had problems.

Unfortunately, after I updated some gnome and GTK packages, the Gnome3 interface started crashing; now everytime I boot my PC, when I get to the user selection screen, if I select GNOME as graphical interface, it crashes right after I type my password in (the screen turns black, shows a "sad computer" icon, and reads "ops, something has gone bad! Please terminate your session and retry"); if, instead, I choose "Classical GNOME with Compiz", it works fine without crashing.
Does anyone have any idea about what could be causing Gnome3 to crash?

The second problem I have, I noticed it as I upgraded one package at a time with PackageKit: I have a few packages that I can't install/upgrade because of "missing dependencies". These packages are Mono (mono-core, mono-devel, gtk# bindings, and a few more mono-something packages), VLC (vlc, vlc-core, and related packages) and, more importantly, the RPM manager package. I haven't listed exactly what dependencies are missing for everyone, but I remember that if I try to install VLC I get an error message that reads "dependency missing: lib555live.so can't be solved".
Trying to figure out why VLC had been uninstalled and why I couldn't reinstall it, I found out (using Yumex) that apparently I have the rpmfusion-free-updates and rpmfusion-nonfree-updates repository but not the rpmfusion-free and rpmfusion-nonfree repositories. That is, it appears that I have RPMFusion's update repositories but not the base ones. And I mean that they are actually missing, not just deactivated or disabled.
If I try to re-install the rpmfusion repositories, all of them of course, I get some errors: if I use the graphical method described on RPMFusion's website (download the RPM and open it with PackageKit), I get the error message "failed to obtain authentication"; if I try using the command lines from terminal, instead, it shows the list of repositories that it should install then the message "Nothing to do".
I am fairly ignorant, despite having used Fedora for now 4 years, but I suspect that the two missing repositories (rpmfusion-free and rpmfusion-nonfree) are the cause of my "missing dependencies" errors, but if that's the case I don't know how to fix it, since using the methods on RPMFusion's website don't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Lo Zeno; 27th June 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:58 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Gnome3 crashes immediately, plus some repos disappeared/don't work

I would suggest that you start by re-installing the rpmfusion repositories.
PHP Code:
su
rpm 
-Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm 
Before you do that though I see that you seem to think that some of the rpmfusion repositories are missing, not just disabled. What is in /etc/yum.repos.d/ ? Here's mine.
Code:
[glenn@f15v ~>$ ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
fedora.repo                  rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo          rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide.repo
fedora-updates.repo          rpmfusion-free.repo                  rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo  rpmfusion-free-updates.repo          rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
remi.repo                    rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo  rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 27th June 2011, 11:27 AM
Lo Zeno Offline

windows_7chrome

Thanks for the reply,
I already tried reinstalling them, but will try again as soon as I get back to my Fedora machine, and I will report the results.

I can't copy-paste my repo list because I'm at a different PC at the moment, but I did check /etc/yum.repos.d/ before I wrote my post and found that I have:

fedora.repo
fedora-updates.repo
rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo

plus google chrome repo and some other. I am sure that I miss the rpmfusion-free.repo and rpmfusion-nonfree.repo (I did ls /etc/yum.repos.d/ to check the list, and Yumex doesn't even list them in the Available Repos screen).
Old 27th June 2011, 11:34 AM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

OK the oops something bad has happened is usually due to extensions that are causing problems.

Have you installed any gnome shell extensions? If so press ctrl + alt + f2 and login there and go to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions or /home/you username/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions folders and see if there are any in there - if yes create a folder somewhere and move them all into that folder and you can copy them back in later one at a time and restart gnome shell by hitting alt + f2 type in r and press enter. Until you find the offending extension.

If you have no extensions in those folders and your still getting that error then I would say it is your video drivers - uninstall the ones from the repos (I have had many a crash with the repo versions) and download the proprietary ones from nvidia.

You will need to put in the attached file into your /etc/modprobe.d (need to be root for both these) folder and also add this to your grub (menu.lst) or grub2 (grub.cfg) menu at the end of the line that is booting your kernel
Code:
 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0

Once you have done those two things run this:

su -
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

This will rebuild your initramfs without the nouveau driver.

At this point reboot and at the boot menu select the menu item that would normally boot and press e to edit it. arrow down to the entry that boots (you should see the rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 at the end of the line). press space and add 3 to the end. Then press ctrl +x to boot or b? for grub?

That will boot you into init 3 (one time only). Login as root and go to the folder you downloaded the latest nvidia drivers to and run

Code:
 sh ./NVIDIA*
and you can step through the install process

It might complain you need binutils and gettext (from memory) if it does then just exit the install and yum install what it needs and run the install again.

Also if you are having issues doing the above steps because of the crashing you can run this command - go to ctrl + alt + f2 terminal login and run

Code:
dbus-launch gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'gnome-fallback'
You can then go back ctrl +alt +f1 or f7? and login to gnome and it will login to the gnome 2 style fallback shell.

Once you have done all of the above and want to try it out with the new drivers run

Code:
dbus-launch gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'gnome'
to set you back to using the new gnome shell

See how you go and hopefully that will sort you out
Attached Files
File Type: conf disable-nouveau.conf (44 Bytes, 72 views)

Last edited by mightymouse2045; 27th June 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:39 AM
Lo Zeno Offline

windows_7chrome

I haven't installed any gnome shell extension since I upgraded to Fedora15 (I did that 2 days ago, so I didn't have the time to); I did, however, install a widget extension while I was still using Fedora14, a month or so ago, but I guess that it would have caused problems from the beginning, instead I was able to use the Gnome 3 interface for a while before it crashed after some updates.

I do not use the nouveau drivers, I use the Nvidia proprietary drivers since Fedora 9; I will follow your instructions anyway, and see if something changes.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:43 AM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
I haven't installed any gnome shell extension since I upgraded to Fedora15 (I did that 2 days ago, so I didn't have the time to); I did, however, install a widget extension while I was still using Fedora14, a month or so ago, but I guess that it would have caused problems from the beginning, instead I was able to use the Gnome 3 interface for a while before it crashed after some updates.

I do not use the nouveau drivers, I use the Nvidia proprietary drivers since Fedora 9; I will follow your instructions anyway, and see if something changes.
The nvidia drivers kmod etc from the repos have caused me no end of problems with my GT240.

The proprietary drivers are the ones you download direct from Nvidia (not saying you don't know but just wanted to clarify).

Oh and when you run the dracut command you might see a bunch of missing firmware errors ignore those they are warnings and nothing to worry about.
Old 27th June 2011, 02:49 PM
Lo Zeno Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse2045 View Post
The proprietary drivers are the ones you download direct from Nvidia (not saying you don't know but just wanted to clarify).
Ah!
Ok, thanks for clarifying, I thought that the kmod were the proprietary drivers.
If I install the proprietary drivers, will I need to reinstall them the next time I upgrade Fedora, say, from 15 to 16?
Just asking, because everytime I upgrade I find lots of issues and everytime it's something different. I know that a clean install would always be recommended, but still I would spend even more time re-installing and reconfiguring everything from scratch...
Old 27th June 2011, 03:07 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

just to let you know.. The Nvidia drivers in rpmfusion ARE the proprietary drivers from Nvidia. Same drivers, just packaged up in rpm form.

If the rpmfusion drivers gives you a problem due to a driver bug, then the driver downloaded from the nvidia site will have that very same bug. They are the same drivers.

The only difference is that there might be a newer driver on the nvidia site if they just released one until it's picked up by the maintainer of the rpmfusion rpm.

Edit:
If you install the drivers downloaded from nvidia, you will have to go through and build your nvidia kernel module every time you update your kernel.

If you install from rpmfusion using the kmod-nvidia, you will have to wait until the updated kmod package gets put in the repo when you update your kernel.

If you install the akmod-nvidia package from rpmfusion, it will automatically build your kernel module when you update your kernel. You can also use custom kernels and it will builld the kernel module for you.

just to clarify this, here is the info from the nvidia driver in rpmfusion:
Quote:
[Me@tower11 ~]$ yum info xorg-x11-drv-nvidia

Available Packages
Name : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
Arch : i686
Epoch : 1
Version : 275.09.07
Release : 1.fc15
Size : 1.9 M
Repo : rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
Summary : NVIDIA's proprietary display driver for NVIDIA graphic cards
URL : http://www.nvidia.com/
License : Redistributable, no modification permitted
Description : This package provides the most recent NVIDIA display driver which
: allows for hardware accelerated rendering with NVIDIA chipsets
: GeForce6 series and newer. GeForce5 and below are NOT supported by
: this release.
:
: For the full product support list, please consult the release
: notes for driver version 275.09.07.
Here is the info on the latest driver on the Nvidia site
Quote:
Linux Display Driver - x86

Version:

275.09.07 Certified
Release Date:

Operating System:

Linux
Language:

English (U.S.)
File Size:

29.4 MB

Last edited by DBelton; 27th June 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 27th June 2011, 05:16 PM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

[QUOTE=DBelton;1489735]just to let you know.. The Nvidia drivers in rpmfusion ARE the proprietary drivers from Nvidia. Same drivers, just packaged up in rpm form.
/QUOTE]

That's really interesting man I didn't know that. In saying that though In the past I have usually noticed quite a gap in the versions available in the repo's and those on the website. The current are the latest though but I kid you not I had serious issues with those from the repo like random crashes after 2 minutes of using nautilus or browsing basic webpages.

When i removed them and installed the ones I downloaded from NVIDIA's website - no issues and no crashes since.

Can I ask - being on 64bit when I install the drivers from NVIDIA it prompts to install the 32 bit libraries which I always do by default.

If I install the akmod or kmod packages from the repo does that automatically install the 32bit libraries (because i don't see any i686 packages getting installed), or would I need to also install the i686 packages as well to get the 32bit libraries?

Perhaps if I had to manually install the i686 packages and didn't that could have been the cause of my random crashes?

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
Ah!
Ok, thanks for clarifying, I thought that the kmod were the proprietary drivers.
If I install the proprietary drivers, will I need to reinstall them the next time I upgrade Fedora, say, from 15 to 16?
Just asking, because everytime I upgrade I find lots of issues and everytime it's something different. I know that a clean install would always be recommended, but still I would spend even more time re-installing and reconfiguring everything from scratch...
As dbelton stated the ones you install from nvidia need to have the kernel module rebuilt every kernel update - which as I have experienced with F14 can be a pain in the ass but not time consuming.

The downside with the akmod and kmod he explained also - so it's really up to you. As I said in the past with F14 when there was some real issues with Nvidia drivers and compiz and other components i noticed a fairly large gap in the versions available in the repo and what was available on Nvidia's website.

So I guess either way there are pros and cons - but for me I have been running the ones from Nvidia without issue for the last couple of years.

I only tried out the kmod ones today because i saw they were the latest and thought "what the heck", but yeah I had about an hour of fun with system crashing/freezing constantly and having to hard boot to recover.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:08 PM
Lo Zeno Offline

linuxchrome

Ok, I'm finally in front of my Fedora laptop. I'm first trying what Glennzo suggested, so: here is the list of repos in /etc/yum.repos.d/:

Code:
[lozeno@fedora ~]$ ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
adobe-linux-i386.repo               google-chrome.repo
compiz-fusion.repo                  livna.repo
dropbox.repo                        rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
fedora-rawhide.repo.rpmnew          rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
fedora-rawhide.repo.rpmsave         rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
fedora.repo                         rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide.repo
fedora-updates.repo                 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo         rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew  skype.repo
flash.repo                          skype.repo~
[lozeno@fedora ~]$
I tried reinstalling rpmfusion repositories, using the commands provided by glennzo, but this is the output:

Code:
[root@fedora lozeno]# rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
Ripristino di http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
errore: Dipendenze fallite:
	rpmfusion-free-release >= 14 necessario a (installato) rpmfusion-nonfree-release-14-1.noarch
[root@fedora lozeno]#
It roughly translates to "error: Dependency failed: rpmfusion-free-release >= 14 necessary to (installed) rpmfusion-nonfree-release-14-1.noarch

so uhmmmm..... any help?

EDIT: I also controlled inside the directories suggested by mightymouse, they are both empty (actually the first one doesn't even exist on my computer), so, no gnome-shell extensions have been installed.

Last edited by Lo Zeno; 27th June 2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added details
Old 27th June 2011, 06:51 PM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

Code:
su -
rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
yum update
Post Install Guide

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/l...allation-guide

Last edited by mightymouse2045; 27th June 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:53 PM
Lo Zeno Offline

linuxchrome

What's the difference from the commands that Glennzo wrote above? They look the same to me, and in fact give the same output (error: dependency failed etc.)

EDIT: wait, I noticed only now the -ivh instead of -uvh. Sorry!
Old 27th June 2011, 07:03 PM
mightymouse2045 Offline

linuxfirefox

yeah -U is trying to upgrade - but you have a 14 rpmfusion install I think? and that is causing you the error. I think the one that is downloaded with that command is actually F13 release and then when you run the yum update it updates the package list sees you distribution is 15 and the updates the rpmfusion repos automatically.... something like that anyways
Old 27th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Lo Zeno Offline

linuxchrome

That did the trick.
Well, half of it. After that, the correct repositories were installed, so I tried another update, but I still got more errors from PackageKit. To make a long story short, for some reason it wouldn't let me update some packages, like mono, because "mono(mscorlib) is needed by mono-core" and similar errors. Yumex told me that my mono-* packages were all .fc14 packages, so I manually uninstalled them, then reinstalled them (and manually reinstalled banshee, tomboy, log4net and all applications that got uninstalled when I uninstalled mono).

After that, I could upgrade everything smoothly.
Unfortunately, that didn't help with Gnome crashing I'm still using Classic GNOME with Compiz.
I tried installing the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website, but nothing changed.
I double-checked if I have any gnome shell extension, but I don't.

My PC is usable, but I really, really want my Gnome 3 interface...
Old 27th June 2011, 07:50 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse2045 View Post

Can I ask - being on 64bit when I install the drivers from NVIDIA it prompts to install the 32 bit libraries which I always do by default.

If I install the akmod or kmod packages from the repo does that automatically install the 32bit libraries (because i don't see any i686 packages getting installed), or would I need to also install the i686 packages as well to get the 32bit libraries?

Perhaps if I had to manually install the i686 packages and didn't that could have been the cause of my random crashes?
You would need to install the both the 64bit and 32bit versions of xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs if you need the 32 bit libs. The akmod/kmod install doesn't automatically install the 32 bit for you because you don't need it unless you are running something that needs the 32 bit libs. (wine is one app that needs the 32 bit libs)

If you didn't install the 32 bit libs and you were running something that needed them, then, yes, that could explain your your random crashes.

Edit:

Lo Zone, one thing that might help you to find your old packages is package-cleanup.

Code:
package-cleanup --problems
That option will list any dependency problems you have with installed packages.

Code:
package-cleanup --orphans
will list installed packages that are currently unavailable in the repo's you have enabled

Code:
package-cleanup --leaves --all
will list rpm's that are not relied upon for any other rpm

This may tell you what packages are still hanging around that didn't get updated.

Last edited by DBelton; 27th June 2011 at 08:04 PM.