Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2011, 04:13 AM
petervan Offline

windows_7firefox
F15 Upgrade black screen

I upgraded my machine to F15. I was asked to reboot. From that point on, the system will not boot. I get to the blue screen with the 'egg', about 1/3 of the 'egg' turns white, then the screen goes black. No cursor, nothing.

I hit shift to get the Grub menu, tried booting my old kernel. Same result.

I tried burning a F15 live cd and booting that, but I get a desktop background with no mouse, no docks. It doesn't seem to respond to anything I do. I can boot it in the "basic graphics" mode, or whatever you call it, but I would rather not overwrite my entire hard drive with a fresh install.

I have seen references to some kind of recovery mode provided on the live cd that might repair my install without wiping my data, but I can't find it anywhere.

What do I do next?

My hardware:
Dual core Atom D525
Intel NM10 chipset
Old 25th June 2011, 05:36 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxredhatfirefox
Re: F15 Upgrade black screen

I am not aware of any kind of recovery mode on the livecd. The dvd has the option to upgrade or repair a system. You can, of course, boot the livecd and mount your hard disk and do some configuration changes.

Tags
black, f15, screen, upgrade